Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fantastikon

Crowfall with Steam Controller

3 minutes ago, Tark said:

I am not at liberty to discuss.  They have talked about controller support in their videos and it is something they are keeping in mind. 

Okay well, I didn't know that, so why would you tell someone they don't know what they're talking about? I stated an opinion and opinion doesn't mean it's a fact or its 100% the way it is. I never said its not possible or is possible I said it could go either way because Blizzard did a good job for Diablo 3 and that you never know, they might find a way to make it work. Clearly, you didn't read what I said and jumped to conclusions. Lol "Not at liberty to discuss" nice cop-out.

Edited by Leocarian

On 12/19/2016 at 3:11 AM, Fantastikon said:

I love playing with a controller. Getting a Steam Controller was an awesome buy for me personally. It works gloriously with Star Wars the Old Republic, and it has to work great with Crowfall.

I tried setting it up last night but ran into a weird problem. Steam doesn't seem to recognize the Crowfall application when it is running, so the specific controller setup is missing.

I've tried pointing the Steam shortcut to both the launcher and the client. When I point it to the launcher, clicking Play in steam launces the launcher, as it should, and from there I can log in and play Crowfall as usual, but Steam doesn't recognize it, and the controller just goes with its desktop settings. 

When I point it to the client instead, clicking play launches the client directly, which brings me to the login screen in the client (which I've understood was used before the updater/launcher got into use), bypassing the updater/launcher.

At this point Steam recognizes the game, and my controller settings work as they should, but the game (predictably, since we should use the launcher/updater) doesn't let me log in. Nothing happens when I try to proceed after filling in my account and password. It's not frozen, clicking quit works as it should. It just doesn't let me log in.

Pointing the Steam shortcut to the launcher works fine with Swtor. Clicking play in steam launches the Swtor updater/launcher, and when in the actual game, Steam recognizes it and the controller settings work.

Anyone has any ideas of how to solve this?

I think they'll add support. Additionally when it becomes an actual game hopefully support will be added within the controllers software. Kind of how Nvidia shadowplay doesn't see crowfall as a game by default. 

I was able to configure the Steam controller for Crowfall, using the controller configuration tool that should appear (once you have controller connected) for the selected game in your library.

I haven't tried using it with 5.2 though, as I was getting some 'motion sickness' :) using it with 5.1, so not sure why you are getting the launcher/login problems.

The biggest issue I found was that you must have Crowfall running before you attempt assigning your buttons using the Steam controller configuration tool, as well as saving to profile.  If you don't have Crowfall running, whatever you assign to the controller/profile disappears into the ether.  Similarly, remember to do this also if you go back to edit/change.

PM me on Discord if you need; we can then hop onto TS to talk if necessary.

As Tark says, should be tons better if and when controller support is added into the game.

Apart from the motion sickness with the controller, I found Crowfall was a lot easier to play (not having to a third hand to press the number buttons whilst using mouse and WASD keys).

From my Elite Dangerous gaming, I'm now using VoiceAttack with Crowfall.

On 8/5/2017 at 0:43 AM, Leocarian said:

I play a ton of console but I am sorry Controller will not work for this game. Far too many buttons to press during combat, would be very annoying. Then again, Blizzard did an amazing job with the controls for consoles for Diablo 3 so who knows..

I had the steam controller working flawlessly about 8 months ago for CF.

Only stopped messing with it because it was a bit of a hassle to set up each time you switched classes.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:56 PM, Leocarian said:

Okay well, I didn't know that, so why would you tell someone they don't know what they're talking about? I stated an opinion and opinion doesn't mean it's a fact or its 100% the way it is. I never said its not possible or is possible I said it could go either way because Blizzard did a good job for Diablo 3 and that you never know, they might find a way to make it work. Clearly, you didn't read what I said and jumped to conclusions. Lol "Not at liberty to discuss" nice cop-out.

There are MMORPG's on consoles with many more buttons than CF will use, like Neverquest.

You can play with a controller? Well that definitely goes down as a mark in this game's favor with me. I'm starting to feel my age and sitting at a mouse and keyboard eventually starts hurting my poor back and wrist, whereas I can play with a controller in my hand dawn to dusk and feel perfectly fine afterward. I played Terra Online with a controller, I eventually left the game for personal reasons but I never once felt a need to switch over to Mouse and Keyboard. I'm also playing Divinity Original Sin 2 with a controller. I know it's no MMO, but I'm quite happy with the experience. I don't care what the haters say, playing with a Steam controller sounds great.

Edited by Valmarith

I bought a steam controller and tested it, works great! 

Takes a bit of time to map the keys to the controller, but it works!

To me it's much easier to use the controller to move and use all my abilities easily. 

The keyboard and mouse will be more accurate for aiming, but the drop off isn't that bad for the controller.

I mapped the keys in the Big Picture portion of Steam by creating a new "desktop" configuration. I select that configuration after logging into big picture and before I load the game.

As far as the number of buttons, you can configure a lot of button mappings by using a button as a shift modifier allowing you to assign multiple keys to the same controller button. 

Are we getting Controller support on launch?
I am currently playing ESO with an Xbox controller and I gotta tell ya.. it is the most fun I've had in a long time, playing an MMO. Made it a new game! 

Crowfall's gameplay make it perfect to play with a controller.. I REALLY HOPE we get controller support
:)

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

Hey guys if you want to use a controller for CrowFall with steam you can. What you need to do is Enter Big picture mode, then go to settings and in settings you will set up a controller for desktop config. all the configurations you need just like a regular game. Once comfortable with your settings exit big picture and run Crowfall and you controller will work. Im using it right now. understand if you want to make additional changes you will have to start steam again in big picture mode apply configurations to desktop mode for controller and exit out big pic mode again and again until you are comfortable with setup. your configuration for desktop mode allows you to use your controller as a mouse for your everyday use without having to be in big pic mode or playing a game in big pic mode. try it!!

11 hours ago, GERALTofRIVIA said:

Hey guys if you want to use a controller for CrowFall with steam you can. What you need to do is Enter Big picture mode, then go to settings and in settings you will set up a controller for desktop config. all the configurations you need just like a regular game. Once comfortable with your settings exit big picture and run Crowfall and you controller will work. Im using it right now. understand if you want to make additional changes you will have to start steam again in big picture mode apply configurations to desktop mode for controller and exit out big pic mode again and again until you are comfortable with setup. your configuration for desktop mode allows you to use your controller as a mouse for your everyday use without having to be in big pic mode or playing a game in big pic mode. try it!!

41GQv8JQdwL._SY346_.jpg

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Hey!

Like others have said above, it works pretty nicely with Steam Controller and setting it all up in Steam.

However, after I tried it out around the time I started this old thread, I realized that at least for me, combat efficiency dropped so badly I just went back to mouse and keyboard.

But if you stay away from pvp, it should work just fine!

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

But again for a new game with pretty cool combat system and classes to choose from I would hope Crowfall does indeed consider controller support  options. Games like Final Fantasy 14 and Elder scrolls online, not to mention Black desert Online offer controller support. Not everyone enjoys playing with a mouse and keyboard, and not everyone enjoys playing with a controller. Make it universal and everyone is happy!!!