Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bigcat

Chat bubbles and no Global chat

I think global chat takes away immersive gameplay.  If I want to talk to a person I met ingame or declare war or peace I should have to send a pigeon.  

The reason I and im sure others like chat bubbles is because during combat specifically I seldom reference the chat window for instruction or response.  If I am being attacked the most immediate way to communicate to my attacker or random players is through visible text above my head.

My problems with global chat are deeper than immersion.  Its usually a wall of text like a forum with no filter.  It takes away who and what is transpiring around you and places you in a space detached from the game.  Global chat is essentially a live forum.  If there is global chat I think it should only work while in the eternal kingdoms.  

I much prefer a simple limited range Yell/Say system with the following distant chat options

guild

faction

party

whisper

Edited by bigcat

LOL, didn't JTC say he hates speech bubbles? G'luck.

Good. If they add chat bubbles I would ask for a refund and not look back. Not even kidding.

Edited by pang

Yes, let's give organized guilds with external comm systems an even bigger advantage vs casuals and pugs.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

the question is will they have or will have a built in internal comm system so casuals and pugs can use it... if not use Skype or one of the many other free options

But bubbles hell no... they are just so ugly and distracting.

Not having a global chat on the other hand is good, having a local "Say" system is a must... I could be talked out of needing an in game alliance chat (be that factions or guilds) if there was another way to share major messages

the question is will they have or will have a built in internal comm system so casuals and pugs can use it... if not use Skype or one of the many other free options

But bubbles hell no... they are just so ugly and distracting.

Not having a global chat on the other hand is good, having a local "Say" system is a must... I could be talked out of needing an in game alliance chat (be that factions or guilds) if there was another way to share major messages

would be interesting to sneak up on someone and be able to be heard.  "Surprise Mothaf.....A!"

"Surprise Mothaf.....A!"

Now I'm going to have to make a Ranger named James Doakes, just so I can have that macroed for when I unstealth.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

One option that was used in a game I played was Global Chat was only accessible in Major Cities, Towns and Settlements. Outside those zones you only had local.

Speech bubbles are funny, but considering how much sneaking around you'll have to do, it would make it too easy to find players.

Local Voice chat might work with heavy restrictions. but in a game this large I think it would just be a toxic mess. Everybody knows at least one person who would AFK for ten hours with their Mic blaring the theme to power rangers...

Please no global chat even in the CWs, in the EKs maybe. No bubble chat either.

Group chat, and whisper are OK.

Integrated voice comms, why? There are enough 3rd party voice comms that can be used without diverting development time to integrate into CF.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

Global chat for testing is a good thing - people can compare notes and with the lower playerbase you can not feel so isolated.

Something like a local voice chat or something so I can go up to someone and say 'hi' would be really nice though. There needs to be some option to address someone one on one in-game.

a working chat would be a good first step :>

WoW has a pretty decent chat system imo, if they just create something similar i´ll be pleased (say, yell, whisper, party, guild and i guess you need some kind of raid chat?)

dunno how i feel about chat bubbles, they have ups and downs, i guess they are convenient for RP... 

i wouldnt mind some kind of option to enable them, with them being disabled by default

Edited by elvo

6XZoThV.jpg

Sorry to "gravedig" this post 21 days after the last post.

But +1 to chat bubbles.

I know Todd and and Thomas Blair like to mock the idea, implying its silly to have them. And they don't like them for aesthetic reasons. But i'd argue their non-aesthetic but functional value. In every game I had them I was able to connect with other players much more immersively than in games in which I did not have them.

Would I have bonded with so many other SWG players if they were not able to express their personalities through mood based chat bubbles? If I had to rely on the chat window in the corner of my screen, definitely not. I mean, we even had 120+ emotes.

Again; to scratch the idea from an aesthetically point of view, I don't understand. Functionally it has value has it not? Surely there's a solution.

I don't think I would've ever sat with people around a camp fire in SWG if I shared the chat with 120 other people. Or if I had to spend time analyzing who said what instead of just looking at them.

You might say there's "groupchat" for that. But there's no emergent social events like the random campfire exchange if someone has to accept a groupchat window.

You guys are hitting all the right triggers with your game mechanics. But I'm sorry to say, this is an MMO. If I don't make bonds with people, there will be nothing for me to come back to after the novelty has worn off. 

Edit: Its early of course. We're alpha, this could be an after release thing like Todd mentions. But the way they discussed the notion felt a lot like someone suggested a silly idea and they were making fun of it... "comic sans". Common guys.

Edited by Whip

I agree with OP and Whip. SWG chat bubbles were great. A little spam annoying in main cities when it cluttered up the screen and caused some lag. But bubbles added immersion that indicated it was the place to hang out and find daily player vendor deals and vendor coordinants/locations (these bubbles were being yelled by bots, so now could maybe be a job for thralls/advanced vendor skill in crowfall!?..

And with the concern of the MMO getting stale and only catering to organized guild PVP, I do hope we do have a casual main city in the EK for the new player/unguilded to collaborate with others (having duels/combat dummies, at a bar with replenishing food, viewing large flagged PVP/duels, to be able to seek out a new guild from member recruiters, auction bazarr, seeking out on duty crafters with weapon/armor repairers, etc.

Chat bubbles did in the day help group leaders give orders with a quick heads up display to the player, but with today's very fast pace and aiming combat in Crowfall it would be hard to give out orders on the spot and be onpar with any voice collaborate group.

So I would agree we maybe need some kind of dedicated ingame VoIP system to compete with already well organized 3rd party voice guild groups. This forces the guild to communicate when they are in a larger faction group with any unknown group members using a better "ingame" team voice channel. And any new player/casual player/small guilds in the group would get instant voice commands from the more organized larger guild. Instead of having the confusion of dealing with some 3rd party voice apps and their many chat rooms being too confusing and cumbersome... Unless discord is going to be the ultimate "go to" for Crowfall now?.. I just wish chat rooms would be auto placed for teams. A push button for talking to team/faction.. And a push button to talk to group..

....And what is stopping an enemy from eavesdropping into the other teams voice room and listening to their battleplans?(AFK player) Maybe game should only have have faction voice dedicated to only the castle/keep area..and any AFK player inside it can be auto flagged and kicked from group. Or hunger reach zero you end your campaign session early. (For the group voice chat out in battlefield, allow NO "auto-follow" feature.)

But yes, the bubble option would be a great addition, being for various casual and collaborating MMO reasons.

Edited by blackfirebird93