Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
APE

Skill Extractors and Injectors

Curious what people think about this system in EVE:

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/207605005-Skill-Extractors-and-Skill-Injectors

or any of the features on this page:

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/sections/201141662-Character-Assets

Skill extractors are what they sound like, I believe. You can remove skill points and trade/sell them to others for whatever or reuse them yourself in another area. Either point for point or with diminishing returns.

Could potentially allow for players to "respec" with a cost/penalty, offer boosts to friends/new players, and even be sold in the shop for ACE profit with some restrictions.

This might even provide more value to VIP as well and in turn profits for ACE.

Multiple alt account, boost market takeover

Could limit the number of extractors/injectors one could use in X amount of time or ever. Like one a week/month, 5 per year. 

Alts seem hugely popular in EVE and I assume will be in CF if it takes off, so would need to be regulated some how. Although one would have to actually earn the points before being able to extract so time still plays a big part.

I like that EVE has a minimum requirement of points needed so there is some initial requirement to even start extracting and one can't drain their skill pool completely. Also diminishing returns when "respecing" within the same account.

The difference is that EVE has players that have been passively training skills for over a decade and skill injectors benefit new players far, far, far more than older ones.

Crowfall hasn't even launched yet so the idea of "an item that takes skill points from one player to give to another" can only hurt game balance.

The thing is, EVE rely the entire development of a character on its skill tree. You have to buy a book, to train a skill to a certain level, before being able to do something in game.

Crowfall is different. The passive system is only that. You can access all skills assuming you spent the time for it, there is no skill to unlock, no skill to buy.

In this regard, and seeing how light are the benefits of the skill tree in Crowfall, I hardly see any in-game market for skill extractors, and even less at the start.

Not that it is a bad idea, quite the contrary. But I think it would not just fit in the current system. However, there will be a market for disciplines runes for example. Which is actually quite similar to a skill extractors / skill injector when you think about it.

This is a P2W scheme.

Also, a guild might be tempted to abuse new members using this as a "loyalty test".

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

What capntastic said. This is a catch up feature that makes perfect sense in a decade old game, but not at all in one which hasn't even been released yet.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Crowfall in the first months or year or however long is gonna be pretty even in terms of skill points, across he board.  It'll be as ideal as you can hope for, with the system they've laid out.

Why give players an item that can only unbalance this?

Would rather just see weaker (<50%) and more complicated and specific versions of the current boost pots for "catch up".   (E.G. Harvest Iron Ore Chance, rather than the current one that effects all).

More useful to everybody, burns resources, and still gives an advantage to the guys who reached the end of their respective lines.

Anything that adds to "welp, better prepare my buffs and potions before I can actually play" is tedious and not fun

Well of course. Getting any access to a skill you have not trained is supposed to be a pain, otherwise why train it?

Besides, we are still talking about a problem for 2-3 years from now, so plenty of time to figure out the best approach. We don't even know what the harvester/crafter/combat mixes are going to be.

Well of course. Getting any access to a skill you have not trained is supposed to be a pain, otherwise why train it?

Besides, we are still talking about a problem for 2-3 years from now, so plenty of time to figure out the best approach. We don't even know what the harvester/crafter/combat mixes are going to be.

I just think of Anarchy Online's "gotta cast my buffs so I can equip this gear so I can cast my buffs so I can run this instance and then do it all again in 20 minutes" problem

Just to add that ACE intend to make new player progress skill easier to catch up later.

Not to mention, the skill training takes more time the higher it goes.

The progress to 50% or 70% is easy, then it will take more and more time.

5tcNR0w.png
                                     "A single attack to destroy anything"

Made Eve Pay to Win. Simple.

Anything similar in Crowfall would be terrible for the game imo.

EVE isn't pay to win, because dumping $10,000 into it doesn't ensure you will win. it only ensures you'll have a blinged out killmail when you finally die. EVE is more pay to be able to get on a level playing field with the big boys faster. not necessary to do, and only marginally beneficial. 

you can't buy talent or skill. those can only be earned through practice. crowfall will be no different.

Edited by Kalus_Konkwest