Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vindi

This Is Not Shadowbane 2 - Off The Hype Train For Now.

I followed this game since day 1 on http://www.play2crush.com/.. Beta group 2 and I have tried to stay hype for it, but I think we are being mislead:

Thanks for signing up for our beta test at Play2Crush.com!

If you are reading this, it means that you feel the same way we do: bored
with the current state of Massively Multiplayer Online games and desperate to
try something different. Something innovative. The core design of these games
hasn't changed in over a decade. It's time for a developer to take some real
risks and try something new. 

Beta Group : #2 

BUT...

This will not be different, there is no way because it is already being influenced by the carebears.  It already looks like a MMO clone and now it is starting to read like a clone.

I hope I am wrong, but I see another 2-4 year let down coming... I am jumping off the hype wagon. 

Wait until the full announcement is unveiled before making the decision whether to stay or go. We don't have the full picture right now.

If things turn out as I fear they might, I'll probably leave as well. But I think there's a decent chance it'll turn out okay.

I followed this game since day 1 on http://www.play2crush.com/.. Beta group 2 and I have tried to stay hype for it, but I think we are being mislead:

BUT...

This will not be different, there is no way because it is already being influenced by the carebears.  It already looks like a MMO clone and now it is starting to read like a clone.

I hope I am wrong, but I see another 2-4 year let down coming... I am jumping off the hype wagon. 

Wouldn't Shadowbane 2 be, by definition an MMO clone?

Wouldn't Shadowbane 2 be, by definition an MMO clone?

I was referring to the quote they use:

"The core design of these games hasn't changed in over a decade."

Edited by Vindi

It almost hurts to mention this, but doesn't that negate the line directly after?

"It's time for a developer to take some real

risks and try something new. "

Meaning that the next line gives context for the one you quoted. 

Edited by Charlie George

mael4.jpg

But wouldn't emulating the core design of Shadowbane, be exactly that? It is about a decade old now. So that seems like a catch 22 than for them.

I knew that the moment they released more of the gameplay function in these reveals, the moment it didn't line up exactly with what SB players wanted, some of you would blame "carebears" for "changing" Crowfall.  That argument holds no water.  These designs were being implemented before anyone but ACE knew Crowfall existed.  Reactionary finger-pointing is a bit ridiculous at this state.  I encourage you to stick around and see more of what the game's about, once the countdown finishes.  It's clear this is already radically different from the typical MMO in that it is PvP-centric without a massive PvE progression element.  It's also good to know that it's not a MOBA.

I really do hope this is a game that will satisfy FFA PvP enthusiasts, even if it's not *exactly* what you wanted.  But try to avoid casting aspersions on other players' varied perspectives as if they somehow already in a handful of weeks changed the course of a game that's been in active development for over half a year.  Thanks!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

In actual fact the carebears have been following Todd ever since he left Wizard101 early in 2013. 

He allowed people to follow him on Twitter and kept them updated about his new project without revealing details. I think it was May 2013 he posted a photo of his new office, hinting that he was most serious.

Todd wanted to leave the PvE environment and obviously felt that there was so much more he could do with his original idea on Shadowbane.

Here he is after all that time trying to present a whole new idea to PvPcentric games. I personally think it's a fail for any Shadowbane gamer to turn their backs and walk away with so little being divulged yet.

Evolve or Die. That's what Todd is doing right now. 

288mqgz.png

We still have just a bit under a month before they fully reveal what this game is about.  And even after the reveal there is still time for stuff to change.  It may not all change in the way that players want, regardless of their perspective but change can (and probably will happen).  Hopefully (in my opinion) only to a degree so that we get what the devs are wanting to present without feeling like our voices aren't being heard.  Because sometimes even we don't know if we'll like a thing before we get a chance to play around with it, test it, see if breaks, etc.

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

Wait until the full announcement is unveiled before making the decision whether to stay or go. We don't have the full picture right now.

If things turn out as I fear they might, I'll probably leave as well. But I think there's a decent chance it'll turn out okay.

What exactly are you "fearing" about the game that will make you want to leave?

BUT...

How exactly is CF an "MMO" clone, which in essense would be anything past whatever was deemed the first true MMO. One of the MUDs for sure.

But wouldn't emulating the core design of Shadowbane, be exactly that? It is about a decade old now. So that seems like a catch 22 than for them.

I tried playing the SBEmu...and it was an awful experience. Everything was ancient, from the tab targeting, to the UI, to graphics, blah. I know I know, it's an emulator, I just now remember why I didn't stick with SB after awhile. I know there are fanbois all over, WM one of the most vocal on here, but damn, give this game a shot, you might actually like it.

What exactly are you "fearing" about the game that will make you want to leave?

Basically the things I list in my "Player Monarchies" thread in GD: potential dilution of a good conquest and siege system. I still need to see the bigger picture of the world rulesets to make an actual judgment about it though.

Other than that, I am pretty pleased with all the announcements so far.

The way I read JT's posts regarding if this game is SB 2 or not makes me think, and I'm just going on my personal opinion here...

"So another company has the IP rights to that, since when starting out we had to sell the rights to our creative work in order to get published. As it is now, getting the rights back would cost us a huge chunk of change and that money would be better spent on our game. So enjoy our new IP which is totally not Shadowbane *wink*."

Regardless, we're probably not going to see E reh kay in the new game. This makes me an unhappy Dragon fanboy.

Edited by youma

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

BUT...

I think it's probably a good idea to take a look at the game that ACE designed before these boards were even opened.

PvP Centric

Action Targeting

No Trinity

Little if any PVE

Seiges

Full Loot

It's a PvP game and while it may not be a clone of Shadowfall - it's still a PvP centric game that takes PvP gaming to a new level - or so they're promising.

Besides, if you leave now you'll never have the chance to kill Queen of the Squishycores Oridi ingame.  That's right - I'm going to keep the name (unless some poor fool steals it and hey then they'll get what they deserve) when the game starts.  Should be worth sticking around just for that.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.