Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vindi

This Is Not Shadowbane 2 - Off The Hype Train For Now.

I reallyIiike this new idea as players will be investing their time and effort to build their own cities/keeps/towers/etc..

Um....that is a shadowbane idea...nnot a new one Edited by cash

X6RBqg7.gif

I have from reliable sources that this WILL indeed be a pvp centric game which is built on the bones of mechanics that DID work in the past and NEW ones that will help push this type of game play forward.  There is NO reason to worry about any form of carebearism taking place.

EZgFne1.png

I followed this game since day 1 on http://www.play2crush.com/.. Beta group 2 and I have tried to stay hype for it, but I think we are being mislead:

BUT...

This will not be different, there is no way because it is already being influenced by the carebears.  It already looks like a MMO clone and now it is starting to read like a clone.

I hope I am wrong, but I see another 2-4 year let down coming... I am jumping off the hype wagon. 

Bye, can I have your account for group 2? :)

I am also a bit delusioned with the different rules for the shards and classes with skill based progression. I can't not understand why just not to take best of UO and add some features without removing the best of it. Even now UO shards have more population than most modern "mmorpgs"

I am also a bit delusioned with the different rules for the shards and classes with skill based progression. I can't not understand why just not to take best of UO and add some features without removing the best of it. Even now UO shards have more population than most modern "mmorpgs"

We need to learn more about the shard system before making a final judgment.

Nothing necessarily wrong with skill based progression though, and classes were perfectly fine in Shadowbane.

What'll make or break this game is the world rulesets and how they're tied to each other, not the archetypes or the progression systems.

I'd advise taking a break form the forums and coming back when the timer is up! Up until that point [or beta], all we can do is speculate  ;)

They brought all us Open PVP folks from Shadowbane here and yet I haven't seen anything that indicates this will be at the level of stakes where SB was. The PVP worlds seem watered down and carebearish (catering to the masses). Where is the loss of pixels? Where is the destruction? 

I am underwhelmed by the game logic released thus far. 

Bye, can I have your account for group 2? :)

Nope. I am just off the hype train, perhaps I will be back on later.

Edited by Vindi

Well with the most recent release, it sounds like you can create your own outposts and stuff in the PvP areas but keep your pretty pixels back home.

Also we now have Perma-Life... this doesn't sound too hardcore to me.

Yeah the details don't look too promising. I'd still wait and see their follow up details... it is possible they intend for the GvG world to be quite similar to Shadowbane. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with hard resets, though.

Frankly I don't think the EK item storing thing will actually be a big issue, the real question is how the win conditions will work and what can't be carried over from a reset.

I am officially off the hype train knowing what we know with today's reveal. Will reserve final judgement for full reveal, but this took a turn I wasn't exactly expecting starting with last week's update. 

Ahh well, I am not sure this game is going to draw the SB crowd in like a lot intially thought it might.

Also we now have Perma-Life... this doesn't sound too hardcore to me.

Perma life? You played shadowbane. Are you going to tell me you considered that perma-life? Obviously you can still die.

Will dying delete your character, drink all the beer in your fridge, steal your girlfriend, and kick your dog? Probably not. But that scenario still must not be hardcore enough for you.

In shadowbane, when you lost a city, you lost the city. You kept the vendors (after they patched that) and everything in your bank. Gear? Check. Resources? Check. Gold? Check. You're butt mad because you can't wipe your a$$ on their curtains?

Yeah the details don't look too promising. I'd still wait and see their follow up details... it is possible they intend for the GvG world to be quite similar to Shadowbane. I'm not sure how to reconcile that with hard resets, though.

Frankly I don't think the EK item storing thing will actually be a big issue, the real question is how the win conditions will work and what can't be carried over from a reset.

See, I played on the test server so it got wiped regularly. I loved that part. There was never a dull moment. Alliances were ever changing from the wipes. If you've never played on that kind of server I'd suggest giving it a shot for sure.

See, I played on the test server so it got wiped regularly. I loved that part. There was never a dull moment. Alliances were ever changing from the wipes. If you've never played on that kind of server I'd suggest giving it a shot for sure.

I never played on the test server.

What was city building like? Did many guilds or nations actually build large cities, or more than one city, knowing a wipe was inevitable?

wipes don't bother me too much....but remember, i'm from Mourning...so i just don't see the need for it...

someone is "dominating"...take em out, harrass them, ally (not zerg, big difference)...co-ordinate your attacks with others on multiple assets, take their Mines...ForumBane the snot out of them....

still up to the Players...

my big concern here is that, unless more will be shown to demonstrate how i'm wrong here, the Consequences and "win" is going to be determined by Code...

NOT the Players...

yeah, there's a reason i don't like mobas....they can be Fun for a round or two...but after that....meh...

we'll see....i ain't giving up yet...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

wipes don't bother me too much....but remember, i'm from Mourning...so i just don't see the need for it...

someone is "dominating"...take em out, harrass them, ally (not zerg, big difference)...co-ordinate your attacks with others on multiple assets, take their Mines...ForumBane the snot out of them....

still up to the Players...

my big concern here is that, unless more will be shown to demonstrate how i'm wrong here, the Consequences and "win" is going to be determined by Code...

NOT the Players...

yeah, there's a reason i don't like mobas....they can be Fun for a round or two...but after that....meh...

we'll see....i ain't giving up yet...

100% agreed.

I think there are 4 ways resets could be done:

1. Specific checkboxes you must meet which, once met, win you the game and reset the server.

2. A hardcoded countdown timer from day 1. When the countdown is up, the guild with the most "something" wins.

3. Players have some sort of mechanic to affect the longevity of the server, perhaps by performing a certain task or voting. This gives players a lot more control, but has room for abuse.

4. Devs or GMs decide when to reset the server. This has huge potential for abuse and unfairness.

#3 is probably the only one of those I'd accept.

it's not the wipes that annoy me...

it's the fact that winning seems to be absolutely pointless

Yep, exactly.

I hope the devs understand our concerns.
Edited by Zarithas

it's not the wipes that annoy me...

it's the fact that winning seems to be absolutely pointless

but...but...there's a TROPHY!!!!

sorry...sorry...sometimes snark is the only thing my keyboard can produce...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...