Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vindi

This Is Not Shadowbane 2 - Off The Hype Train For Now.

all valid points so far.

How does this not make someone insta zerg a campaign, meet the "win" condition, then poof reset?

Seeing on how I personally have caused division, and infighting in enemy alliances. how I spied, opened city doors at banes, turned off spires mid bane as a spy. lied and started rumors about opposing enemy leaders, caused infighting amongst guild IC etc...I have broken up zergs all by myself. When UDL moved to WoW I stuck around with a new goal. To be the dark hand. To make multiple names and persona to infiltrate guilds and guide them through suggestion, lies and manipulation. I was only half successful. Some guilds were so tightknit, or had a good leader, or were RL friends that they were the preverbal brick wall. Never the less I caused a lot of mischief . None of which would be rewarded or as useful in a zerg, win, poof rinse n repeat system....all of us may be logging into the same server....but we are not all playing the same game. :)

I have concerns..but will wait for more info

In an SB analogy, lets say you have to maintain 3 R8s for x amount of time.  Lets say you are CN and are trying to zerg and complete the win condition as fast as possible. I could see the politics of an alliance forming to prevent this from happening. And there you would be, in the alliance trying to cause infighting so that it does happen, because as my good friend Michael Caine once said "Some men just want to watch the world burn".   And that would be cool.  because that's player driven, that's politics, that's immersion 

X6RBqg7.gif

This is still kinda stuck in my head and to me it sounds totally opposite from the last reveal

p2c.jpg?t=1422865303

So I am still thinking that there must be more to it. Isn't it a bit too much to create a a whole world just to be a "lobby". What's the point of it, to show off? Who cares who won in last Campaign after server wipe out?

So many questions...

I think that was just a excellent marketing ploy/tactic to get a good fast base of players into the forums to cause hype and free attraction to the game.

I am not seeing the "play to crush" with this system ... I see "play to crush until we reset yo asses than back to the lobby you go"

I never played on the test server.

What was city building like? Did many guilds or nations actually build large cities, or more than one city, knowing a wipe was inevitable?

We all played just like it was a regular server. We never knew when the wipe would come. But, the game was ever changing because of it. If SM controlled everything wren the wipe came around the alliances would change. It kept things fresh and exciting. Always a new chance to build and tear down.

But, there were no "win conditions" it was at random. I don't care for win conditions or the lobby. Some people might, all I want is to tear your poorly made socks down this round and then laugh about it with you later. :)

Game kinda feels less like play to win (or "crush") and more like play to not lose.

I'm actually still interested because I think the pvp they will have there will be pretty good, but the whole EK peace zone (if there is no pvp) is quite jarring.

Edited by Helix

"I don't want another worthless Trophy"....

This ^^^ is a fundamental tenet of the P2C manifesto: http://www.play2crush.com/

Nothing drives people away more than conflicting with the original principle that brought us all here.

02/02/15 - Hunger Week... It's About Time.

The downside of this approach is that we don’t want the universe to feel too transitory.  That’s why we added the Eternal Kingdoms: super-sized player and guild housing Worlds.  Trophy rooms that you can use as a “lobby” between matches/campaigns. 

(To make sure these Worlds don’t compete with the “main” game, i.e. the Campaign Worlds, we’ve completely stripped them of resource factories and anything but common reagents.  If you want to fill your trophy room, you have to go out and earn it.)

There’s more (a LOT more) to come, but it all starts with this basic idea:

Eternal Heroes, Dying Worlds.

Todd

ACE

Edited by Vindi

I think that was just a excellent marketing ploy/tactic to get a good fast base of players into the forums to cause hype and free attraction to the game.

I am not seeing the "play to crush" with this system ... I see "play to crush until we reset yo asses than back to the lobby you go"

Let's hope not... but it is certainly looking that way.

Well, Shadowbane players see it as "nothing gained in winning".

What was really gained in Shadowbane? A ToL where the game just dies in 6 months anyhow? The only thing you really got was a ToL and if it was a good city, 10mil worth of free walls. Still had to rank the ToL, put in new buildings, rank those, etc, etc. The only real win was logistical in that maybe now you had access to Skydancer or Vorg which was a significant boost in your nation's economy and using that gear/discs to better your guild.

What was it you could win that couldn't be measured? Victory. The fact that you outwitted, outskilled, outplayed, outsabotaged, outzerged, or you used politics the best to beat your enemy. You beat them. You spent hours either in the forums or in game berating them or just stayed silent so they could beat themselves mentally. No physical trophy of "owned" could ever give you the same gratification you got from seeing their city off of the map.

And if you lost? If it was just a ToL and you had more, then it was just a ToL. Time and gold. If you fought really hard, then it was a blow to the morale. If you got zerged, it was a devastating blow. If it was your only city, then there's a good possibility you'd find something else to do. Especially if you were zerged and the offensive guild had a hard-on for you.

There really has to be a balance between win and lose. We look back a decade ago and still talk about how bad ass our guild/nation was with a very small amount of PvP videos to show for it. There was no "win" condition. No trophy (although the manifesto slip up is a lawl). Nothing to say "we owned this ****". That might be the case in Crowfall. Because what really is winning in a MMO? Saying that you won or showing that you won?

If it's just saying you won: then we can just say who was the best in shadowbane for another decade without a game to prove it in.

Edited by headlight

The manifesto says meaningless trophy.... what if these have meaning? What if there is more to winning the campaign than we have been told thus far?

that's what i'm hoping for...we will see as the Reveals unfold...

i can't figure out how it can be more than a DAoC style guild/nation/faction buff

soOOOoOOOooo...as i have stated repeatedly....i'm waiting to find out what the "Meaningful" is going to be ...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

The manifesto says meaningless trophy.... what if these have meaning? What if there is more to winning the campaign than we have been told thus far?

This would be a saving grace to some. I am hoping that the trophies act like bane scrolls on the EK worlds

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

You are smart Mal. Let's hope you are right.

But to me it is not just winning. I want to see someone lose as well. Losing = Fear, Anxiety and the Emotional immersion of the MMO. 

p.s. I don't let me wee kids play on the "everyone wins" soccer team. Losing spawns motivation for revenge....improvement.

PLAY TO CRUSH

Edited by Vindi

I don't think the MMO world will ever see losing on a scale of UO and Shadowbane again. And idk enough about DF to include them. Not spite, just ignorance.

Then this is simply another "clone" of everyone wins or no losers design. Catering to the masses.

Edited by Vindi

I don't think the MMO world will ever see losing on a scale of UO and Shadowbane again. And idk enough about DF to include them. Not spite, just ignorance.

no offense there...but gawd i hope you are wrong and that if we don't get it *here*

someone, somewhen...will have the testicular fortitude to build it....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Gotta quote myself from a personal message because it rofl'd my waffle

Some of ya'll will take offense to it, so be it. Label me a traitor. FIIC

That's ok I once told people that you could always spot a former SB player in any game and it was easy: just look for the biggest asshat around, who's only goal in life is to pee in other people's cheerio's.

That's ok I once told people that you could always spot a former SB player in any game and it was easy: just look for the biggest asshat around, who's only goal in life is to pee in other people's cheerio's.

LOL, we sure had fun being asshats on our prelates Gauis!

I put it like this:

SB'rs know the meaning of winning and losing. 

You are smart Mal. Let's hope you are right.

But to me it is not just winning. I want to see someone lose as well. Losing = Fear, Anxiety and the Emotional immersion of the MMO. 

p.s. I don't let me wee kids play on the "everyone wins" soccer team. Losing spawns motivation for revenge....improvement.

PLAY TO CRUSH

I agree. I want people to lose, even if it happens to be me. I lose a lot at games... 'tis why I use my being a girl as a political weapon. It worked well for me in SB. :-)

I am very hopeful that they are using the best pieces of SB in this and expanding it in order to keep it strong.

Gotta quote myself from a personal message because it rofl'd my waffle

Some of ya'll will take offense to it, so be it. Label me a traitor. FIIC

This is true. Anyone who denies it is lying or got pwned in SB.

Promise Breakers lives on!!!

In all seriousness that is exactly what I think too.  I keep having flashbacks off that glorious first play2crush message; in the back ground is coheed and cambria doing "welcome home", I can hear Morgan Freeman reading the words as they play across my minds eye like some star wars scrolling text and then there the awesome explosions!

Then today's post:  at first I was excited and then the whole idea of pointless trophies and time locked servers suck in and it was like I was waking up as the ass to mouth person in some odd human centipede movie while Gilbert Godfrey beat boxes "Eye of the Tiger" and instead of explosions there's just those crappy little smoke bombs from 1991's Fourth of July.

I need to go back to bed.   

This is what scotch and not sleeping can do to an individual. 

I stand by it. 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png