Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vindi

This Is Not Shadowbane 2 - Off The Hype Train For Now.

Yeah, real power is in silencing your enemies.

gag-tape-silence-censor-630.jpg

And I'm not voting for a king. King is a symbol of conquest. You're a liked king because you are good to your EK. But you can also be a total dirtbag if you want.

needs MOAR Bow of Thurin with Hulin'agels, imo...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I said it in the newsthread but I'll say it here too. Right now the game is shaping up to be a Glorified version of GW2 WvW where you switch out Lions Arch for the Eternal Kingdom.

They said we could build fortifications in the EK, so who knows *shrug

yes, you can build up your lobby how you like it seems...

but no burning it down...

:angry:

FIQw0eP.png

Based on some of the banner art they have shown there will be sieges, we just don't know what that entails... yet.

Yes we do, it is GW2 WvW "sieges" and it only occurs out in the BG's. Basically it works like this:

One side captures a pre made low level tower or keep, they also capture what is called supply camps. You need the supplies from the supply camps to upgrade your tower or keep. To stop this the other side will come "siege" it using either short range catapults on the walls, rams on the gate  or from long range with a treb. Once/if they break in they go find the NPC Keep Lord. Once found they have to kill it, his guards and any enemy players around. Once the Keep lord is "Down" a capture circle appears. If no enemy gets in the circle after a set period of time you captured the keep/tower. If they get into the circle it just stops the countdown it doesn't reverse it, the enemy has to kill/remove all of your side from the circle to do that and they can also revive the Keep lord.

That is the "siege" we are going to see in GW2 err I mean Crowfall since they already told us we will be building our forts on the ruins of old ones IOW premade sites. That we need to capture resource nodes (supply camps) for the materials to build up these premade structures etc, etc.

Here is a vid of what you got to look forward too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J65tuZFM1YM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ7tNjhqt8

The first vid is a tower capture and most of the time in GW2 towers aren't defended so it is PvD/PvE not PvP there. The second is Keep.

Edited by gauis

Lol, Gaius running wild with the rampant speculation. Personally I hope it's not like gw2 and hope your theories don't prove to be true.

+1 for the Hope part...

i worry he is closer than i'd like....but i do hold out the Thought that the folks working on CF brought us proper Sieges in SB, so the actual Mechanics should be MUCH better than GWcrap...

/knocks wood

FIQw0eP.png

Lol, Gaius running wild with the rampant speculation. Personally I hope it's not like gw2 and hope your theories don't prove to be true.

+1 for hope, -1000 for reality.

Seriously lets recap:

We can't siege in the EK, the only permanent worlds, because you can be locked out of the world you want to siege. This basically means that your "World" is nothing more than player housing in games like SWTOR and Aion. You have to be invited in or it has to be set to public. If you can exclude people that means you can't siege it.

The "Dying Worlds" are nothing more than a GW2 WvWvW matchup with a different "Win" condition and time frame. For GW2 the campaign lasts 1 week and the World with the most points at the end wins. Here the time frame is fungible but they keep saying it a territory game and using "Risk" as an example. Who wins a Risk game? The player with the most territory. So you can pretty much know how they are going to determine who the "winner" is.

In GW2 when you log out during a match up when you log back in you are in Lions Arch or where ever in PvE land you fast traveled to the WvW zone from. Now do you seriously believe that it won't work the same here and the EK's? Hell even if they keep you in the "BG" after logout and log back in to there, I guarantee you there will be travel out to the EK's so when the casuals/carebears want to get away from the nasty PvPers so they can PvE and Craft they can. If they were not going to cater to the carebears there would be no 100% safe area to craft in.

It is amazing that the guy that put Trammel in place, says you can't separate the Sheep from the Wolves, makes a post about not making that mistake again goes and makes that mistake again. When you give a carebear a 100% safe area to PvE in, that is where you will find him 99% of the time. Remember they didn't say there is no resources in the Carebear land just no resource factories and you can get resources off mobs. Oh don't doubt that there will be mobs there so the Carebears can level up their skills in peace too.

Edited by gauis

to gauis' point...

no need for the carebear to even leave...he can kneel to some Monarch and set up shop, then BUY the mats he requires to ply his trade unmolested

which, by itself doesn't bother me at all...i don't mind folks having some kind of safe zone to do their thing in, very useful for crafting and trading and diplomacy, etc...

until we know more, it just rankles me that the only Persistent area is a consequence free zone...rather than being an Oasis in the midst of carnage and risk...

FIQw0eP.png

to gauis' point...

no need for the carebear to even leave...he can kneel to some Monarch and set up shop, then BUY the mats he requires to ply his trade unmolested

which, by itself doesn't bother me at all...i don't mind folks having some kind of safe zone to do their thing in, very useful for crafting and trading and diplomacy, etc...

until we know more, it just rankles me that the only Persistent area is a consequence free zone...rather than being an Oasis in the midst of carnage and risk...

Disagree slightly Doc.

There shouldn't be a 100% safe area to craft in period.

Now am I saying it should be easy to Siege/burn the place down? Nope, it should be something hard to do. Win 10 campaigns gives you a "scroll of raid an EK" as an example off the top of my head. Lets you go in kill anyone there, fully loot not just inventory but 100% drop gear off corpse, burn down any buildings you can in the space of ...say an 1 hour or 30 min time limit. After that time the raiding force gets kicked out to make off with their loot. If a raider dies he can be looted just like the defenders and he can't respawn and come back. Use the WoO mechanic from SB so the defender can set a defense time if you want and not have it be a surprise. Not only is their incentive for the PvPers to win the campaigns but for the Carebears too so they can't get their EK's raided. PvPers don't win enough campaigns, they can't raid.

But 100% safe Carebear land for crafting that is permanent with resettable PvP off to the side? That isn't new that is old hat.

Oh we will have no trinity and limited Combat healing...Old hat already done.

Edited by gauis

Each world seems like it'll be a "ToL".... able to open or lock it, build your buildings and have vendors. At least I can camp out and kill people like I did in SB. But I still wanna be able to tear people's **** down. :(

I was hoping for this too.  But I don't see how it can work alongside the campaign mechanic.  They've made it clear that the campaigns are the main game and necessary to acquire materials (materials for what purpose, I have no idea).   So if you have to play campaigns, and some a-hole sieges you back home at EK while you're engaged in something important on your campaign world....how can that possibly work? 

Seriously lets recap:

We can't siege in the EK, the only permanent worlds, because you can be locked out of the world you want to siege. This basically means that your "World" is nothing more than player housing in games like SWTOR and Aion. You have to be invited in or it has to be set to public. If you can exclude people that means you can't siege it.

The "Dying Worlds" are nothing more than a GW2 WvWvW matchup with a different "Win" condition and time frame. For GW2 the campaign lasts 1 week and the World with the most points at the end wins. Here the time frame is fungible but they keep saying it a territory game and using "Risk" as an example. Who wins a Risk game? The player with the most territory. So you can pretty much know how they are going to determine who the "winner" is.

In GW2 when you log out during a match up when you log back in you are in Lions Arch or where ever in PvE land you fast traveled to the WvW zone from. Now do you seriously believe that it won't work the same here and the EK's? Hell even if they keep you in the "BG" after logout and log back in to there, I guarantee you there will be travel out to the EK's so when the casuals/carebears want to get away from the nasty PvPers so they can PvE and Craft they can. If they were not going to cater to the carebears there would be no 100% safe area to craft in.

It is amazing that the guy that put Trammel in place, says you can't separate the Sheep from the Wolves, makes a post about not making that mistake again goes and makes that mistake again. When you give a carebear a 100% safe area to PvE in, that is where you will find him 99% of the time. Remember they didn't say there is no resources in the Carebear land just no resource factories and you can get resources off mobs. Oh don't doubt that there will be mobs there so the Carebears can level up their skills in peace too.

You do realize it isn't personal right?  You can calm down.  They don't have some secret evil cabal meetings the first wed of every month (Tully its your turn for snacks and drinks I did it last time), where everybody sits in hoods and plans to piss you off. 

They want a steady playerbase and not the huge dips that the SB populace faced.  Shadowbane had one server last and by then all of the truly carebear/whiny people had been chased away to WoW or GW.  From the perspective of a company looking to make money they have to appeal to more than just the few internet sociopaths like myself who will play.  Why don't you wait till the timer is done and man up till then?

Personally, I think it's turning out to be a poorly made socks show in some ways and great in the archetype area (preventing wonderful people from going str based BW wizards could actually help).

You sound like a crazy ex.  It was all Gordon's fault not yours, he still loves you though.  You do deserve better. Mhhmmm guuuuurl, now lets go get some frozen yogurt.  It's going to be OK.

Calm down...

Breathe...

Come rest your head in my lap...

shhhhhhh...

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I was hoping for this too.  But I don't see how it can work alongside the campaign mechanic.  They've made it clear that the campaigns are the main game and necessary to acquire materials (materials for what purpose, I have no idea).   So if you have to play campaigns, and some a-hole sieges you back home at EK while you're engaged in something important on your campaign world....how can that possibly work? 

The Mats are for two purposes:

1. To upgrade the "Stronghold Ruins" in the BG's just like in GW2 you need to "Supplies" from the "Supply Camps" to upgrade your keeps

2. To build you shiny Palace where you can craft in the EQ's. Just think of it as another form of gold or badges or some other crap that is used in games with player housing to upgrade from the crappy premade shack you get.

Seriously lets recap:

You got GW2 WvW? These worlds are just going to be Shadowbane servers with a built in win/reset condition. We don't know how traveling between the EK and the Dying worlds will work, but we do know that travel between the Dying Worlds is going to be discouraged. Playing on a Dying World is a long term commitment to securing resources, building structures, equipment and alliances, and fighting for control of the map. This is the meat of the game. You'll log into the Dying Worlds, you'll build strongholds in the Dying Worlds, you'll craft gear in the Dying Worlds with resources you found there. Fighting for control of these worlds is the objective of the game, not a piddly sideshow like GW2 WvW.

From what the devs described, this arrangement could continue indefinitely if no clear winner arises and the world continues to be a competitive environment. One week? Try one year or longer. Sure, some worlds will probably die in a month, but others will have a healthy balance of power to keep things interesting. We have no reason to believe that it'll be a points based match system which is over in a week.

We don't know anything about sieging at the moment, but I doubt they'll throw out the most well designed siege system in the history of MMOs. You can bet that there will be a multi-phased siege system ala SB in which both sides have some time to organize and prepare for a climactic engagement.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

The Mats are for two purposes:

1. To upgrade the "Stronghold Ruins" in the BG's just like in GW2 you need to "Supplies" from the "Supply Camps" to upgrade your keeps

2. To build you shiny Palace where you can craft in the EQ's. Just think of it as another form of gold or badges or some other crap that is used in games with player housing to upgrade from the crappy premade shack you get.

You're right, I guess my point was it doesn't really matter what they are for, I can't see a siege mechanic existing simultaneously on EK and the dying worlds.

The Dying Worlds are persistent, they just aren't permanent. Think about how many banes you could have within a year's time. Think about how many server wars you could have in a year. The Dying Worlds will last until one group dominates. If no one can do that, the world persists. Think of it like nuclear brinksmanship: If the world were divided into two superpowers, the victory of one would mean the total and complete annihilation of the entire planet.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV