Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vindi

This Is Not Shadowbane 2 - Off The Hype Train For Now.

You got GW2 WvW? These worlds are just going to be Shadowbane servers with a built in win/reset condition. We don't know how traveling between the EK and the Dying worlds will work, but we do know that travel between the Dying Worlds is going to be discouraged. Playing on a Dying World is a long term commitment to securing resources, building structures, equipment and alliances, and fighting for control of the map. This is the meat of the game. You'll log into the Dying Worlds, you'll build strongholds in the Dying Worlds, you'll craft gear in the Dying Worlds with resources you found there. Fighting for control of these worlds is the objective of the game, not a piddly sideshow like GW2 WvW.

From what the devs described, this arrangement could continue indefinitely if no clear winner arises and the world continues to be a competitive environment. One week? Try one year or longer. Sure, some worlds will probably die in a month, but others will have a healthy balance of power to keep things interesting. We have no reason to believe that it'll be a points based match system which is over in a week.

We don't know anything about sieging at the moment, but I doubt they'll throw out the most well designed siege system in the history of MMOs. You can bet that there will be a multi-phased siege system ala SB in which both sides have some time to organize and prepare for a climactic engagement.

Ugh I hate agreeing with the elves.  I just spent 10 min looking for a beskar'gam with elf ears but thankfully I couldn't find it. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

The Dying Worlds are persistent, they just aren't permanent. Think about how many banes you could have within a year's time. Think about how many server wars you could have in a year. The Dying Worlds will last until one group dominates. If no one can do that, the world persists. Think of it like nuclear brinksmanship: If the world were divided into two superpowers, the victory of one would mean the total and complete annihilation of the entire planet.

i get what yer saying...

but if you can set up the World to begin with...why not the 100 years War as opposed to nuclear armageddon?

and Gauis...SDR and Khar were 100% safe...yes?

i know what ya mean here...and you know i'm with you...but i'm trying to be flexible and think it is ok to have a safe zone here and there...

i just don't think it should be the only "eternal"

hence while i know soulein makes a VERY valid case...it still just doesn't sit right with me yet

but as i keep saying...i will hold off judgement until AT LEAST i get my mouse and keyboard in the beta and see what's what

if i'm having way too much Funtimes, then some of the philosophical indignities might be tolerated...

if not, all trebuchets in Austin shall commence firing until all is smouldering ashes

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

You do realize it isn't personal right?  You can calm down.  They don't have some secret evil cabal meetings the first wed of every month (Tully its your turn for snacks and drinks I did it last time), where everybody sits in hoods and plans to piss you off. 

They want a steady playerbase and not the huge dips that the SB populace faced.  Shadowbane had one server last and by then all of the truly carebear/whiny people had been chased away to WoW or GW.  From the perspective of a company looking to make money they have to appeal to more than just the few internet sociopaths like myself who will play.  Why don't you wait till the timer is done and man up till then?

Personally, I think it's turning out to be a **** show in some ways and great in the archetype area (preventing wonderful people from going str based BW wizards could actually help).

You sound like a crazy ex.  It was all Gordon's fault not yours, he still loves you though.  You do deserve better. Mhhmmm guuuuurl, now lets go get some frozen yogurt.  It's going to be OK.

Calm down...

Breathe...

Come rest your head in my lap...

shhhhhhh...

Umm never played UO so -1000 for false assumption.

Also I have been holding back the sarcasm when dealing with the Wizard 101/ place name of  carebear game here players since week one. Now the dam has broke and not keeping my head in the sand like some but actually calling a spade a spade.

This game will be GW2 WvW with slightly different superficial mechanics. All the core mechanics of both games are the same except how you level is different. I have laid them out already no need to repeat, but you can keep in your head in the sand hoping for something they already ruled out, but that is your choice. This game just like GW2 has no consequences determined by the players, the players are not going to be engaging in "politics" either.

Look here is the deal  for politics, when you make your character you are also choosing you alignment (Chaos/neutral/Order) because the Archetypes are tied to gods and the gods are the alignment. So if a guild wants to play together on anything other than the Guild v Guild BG, they all have to role characters that have the same god or alignment. That determines where you end up in two of the other BG's the FvF and the God vs God world. So the only politics you will get is trying to get a guild to reroll to your god/alignment, just like how in GW2 the only politics is to get guilds to transfer servers and it will work basically the same way: Paying for the switch.

Edited by gauis

i get what yer saying...

but if you can set up the World to begin with...why not the 100 years War as opposed to nuclear armageddon?

and Gauis...SDR and Khar were 100% safe...yes?

i know what ya mean here...and you know i'm with you...but i'm trying to be flexible and think it is ok to have a safe zone here and there...

i just don't think it should be the only "eternal"

hence while i know soulein makes a VERY valid case...it still just doesn't sit right with me yet

but as i keep saying...i will hold off judgement until AT LEAST i get my mouse and keyboard in the beta and see what's what

if i'm having way too much Funtimes, then some of the philosophical indignities might be tolerated...

if not, all trebuchets in Austin shall commence firing until all is smouldering ashes

Could you craft in Khar or SDR? No. Could you Build there? No. 

And that was the point I was making. If you want a 100% safe area for trading? Fine no problem but just like SB you shouldn't be able to make your gear there either. All that takes is one NPC safehold EK that you go to sell in not build and craft in.

Edited by gauis

Umm never played UO so -1000 for false assumption.

Also I have been holding back the sarcasm when dealing with the Wizard 101/ place name of  carebear game here players since week one. Now the dam has broke and not keeping my head in the sand like some but actually calling a spade a spade.

This game will be GW2 WvW with slightly different superficial mechanics. All the core mechanics of both games except how you level is the same. I have laid them out already no need to repeat, but you can keep in your head in the sand hoping for something they already ruled out, but that is your choice. This game just like GW2 has no consequences determined by the players, the players are not going to be engaging in "politics" either.

Look here is the deal  for politics, when you make your character you are also choosing you alignment (Chaos/neutral/Order) because the Archetypes are tied to gods and the gods are the alignment. So if a guild wants to play together on anything other than the Guild v Guild BG, they all have to role characters that have the same god or alignment. That determines where you end up in two of the other BG's the FvF and the God vs God world. So the only politics you will get is trying to get a guild to reroll to your god/alignment, just like how in GW2 the only politics is to get guilds to transfer servers and it will work basically the same way: Paying for the switch.

You must be a psychic or something to know all of this.  Everybody else uses phrases like "I hope they don't do this but",  "Hmmmm I think it's this" or even "I strongly suspect" but nope you have finally removed your head from the sand (I personally suspect it's been somewhere else) and are suddenly calling for the doom and destruction of your happiness.  You sound like one of those homeless people with a doomsday sign around his neck, or Dayle.  Are you Dayle?

Ben_Kinsley_The_End_is_Nigh.jpg

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

nah...the REAL politics will come from alliances...not always fighting on the same server...

but dividing the servers up

let's say WM, Avari and LotD meet up and each takes a different server in the same Campaign so they fight sheep and not each other (like how the beta guilds did at SB launch)...wait until the World ends...chekc the results then meet up again to see if they need to ally up or keep splitting it for the next round...

and that's just scratching the surface...

that there's some out of Game politics that clearly effect the in Game...only the begining of possible exploits

@Gauis....lol, don't be obtuse, mang...no you didn't "craft" in Khar...

cuz you didn't "craft" at all in SB.,...the NPCs did it for you...you KNOW what i mean, or does it need spelling out further?

EDIT: nah...not Dayel... he ain't worried enough about the Commander spawn...

Edited by doc gonzo

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

To be fair, no one crafted in a PvP area either. They clicked a forge to craft for them. You couldn't get into the town, sucker punch the sage, and make him stop rolling rings.

But you could the guy taking things off the sage... and kill his rolling bot.

But you could the guy taking things off the sage... and kill his rolling bot.

Well I could, we aren't so sure you could.  When you removed your head from the "sand" (his words not mine), did you forget anything there?  We get it, you don't like the way the project is heading.  Some of us are willing to wait it out before we rush to the decision but not you, you're sand free and making decisions prematurely with your psychic gifts.

To get a better grasp of where to take this conversation I am going to ask you one question.

What do you actually like about this project?   

wiDfyPp.png

I followed this game since day 1 on http://www.play2crush.com/.. Beta group 2 and I have tried to stay hype for it, but I think we are being mislead:

BUT...

This will not be different, there is no way because it is already being influenced by the carebears.  It already looks like a MMO clone and now it is starting to read like a clone.

I hope I am wrong, but I see another 2-4 year let down coming... I am jumping off the hype wagon. 

I have never heard of another MMORPG that is using the same survival system as Crowfall...

Well I could, we aren't so sure you could.  When you removed your head from the "sand" (his words not mine), did you forget anything there?  We get it, you don't like the way the project is heading.  Some of us are willing to wait it out before we rush to the decision but not you, you're sand free and making decisions prematurely with your psychic gifts.

To get a better grasp of where to take this conversation I am going to ask you one question.

What do you actually like about this project?   

Believe it or not making crafting meaningful not just something you botted on a forge and up until now it looked like the instance worlds would have some larger meaning than a "Yay I won this round", where those resources you spend up to a year to get is used for more than a glorified trophy room. Where to build your player city you actually need those of a carebearish nature to actually turn materials into walls and buildings and then have that mean more than someplace to craft. Up till recently those worlds looked like a place you had to conquer to be able to get the resources for use back in a player driven game where the player decisions changed the world permanently. Now any decisions the players make don't matter at all out side of which faction or god you serve determining who you can play with on servers. 

I like the idea of possibly having an indepth character creation system not something like you see now in GW2 where hey you can use these weapons and they have these powers oh and since you are this class you get to use 5 skills from this list but you can switch out as you like since you get enough points to open them all.

Already wrote a version of this in another thread, but here you go:

I'm fairly hopeful about their desire to let some worlds/campaigns be generated based on community input.

However, based on what they said about the Eternal Kingdoms (note that it's plural, which is significant), EK almost definitely will not be anything like SB or the siege system we all desire.

Each guild can create their own separate eternal world/kingdom. However, based on their description, this world is completely isolated from other worlds.

What's the point of a monarchy if everyone is a king, and you can't fight other monarchs if they decide to lock you out or forbid PvP? The fun in this potentially monarchistic game style is that you can fight others for control over territory and the throne... you can't do that at all in Eternal Kingdoms if an opposing guild doesn't want you to. In fact, so far they've given no indication you can "invade" another player kingdom and affect it in any negative way. So it might not be possible even if the opposing guild is open to some war.

They're not player monarchies at all, they're player-fantasy alt-dimension dream worlds where you can hang out with the rest of your guild and maybe some allies and friends. They play no part in politics or the game itself. It's just a distributed lobby.

In short, I think Eternal Kingdoms are going to be 100% useless and should be ignored if you're coming from the perspective of an old SB/UO/DF player like you and me are. They are instanced guild keeps with some land you can run around on if you choose, and you can also optionally allow dueling and arena fighting if you want. You can't invade someone else's world if they don't want you there.

The one thing that's clear from all their announcements: they have no intentions to create a permanent realm with guild vs. guild conflic. The best we can hope for is a long running GvG ruleset for a specific campaign, which theoretically could fill that gap.

I really hope they tie the fealty systems into the GvG campaign map(s) too.

Yes I agree with all that.  Plus, even if the EK had a world that the "owner" decided to open for full pvp, and even if the mechanics of the EK worlds allow for territorial control, sieging, etc, what happens when one day the owner of that particular world decides to suddenly change the ruleset....or unsub?  :)  A kick in the pants that would be.

Yes I agree with all that.  Plus, even if the EK had a world that the "owner" decided to open for full pvp, and even if the mechanics of the EK worlds allow for territorial control, sieging, etc, what happens when one day the owner of that particular world decides to suddenly change the ruleset....or unsub?   :)  A kick in the pants that would be.

Exactly. So unless they turn a complete 180 on what they want EK to be, it was basically a red herring and is just their term for a lobby system with some light sandbox features.

Vindi, let them get a chance to reveal their content and plans about Crowfall.

We've not invest anything into the game, except writing an email application concerning beta. :)

Actually I have invested a bit more than that.

Applied for Beta.

I was active on Twitter the first day = 30 minutes

I created an account here and posted  = 1 hour

I was sold on P2C... only to be underwhelmed = Lifetime

That's like 2 hours of life plus infinite trauma there.

/sarcasm

Edited by Vindi

Actually I have invested a bit more than that.

Applied for Beta.

I was active on Twitter the first day = 30 minutes

I created an account here and posted  = 1 hour

I was sold on P2C... only to be underwhelmed = Lifetime

That's like 2 hours of life plus infinite trauma there.

/sarcasm

I'm confused as to whether he is turning the sarcasm off or on.

wiDfyPp.png