Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChosenofCastle

What Abilities Would you Like to See?

Stalker being anti-stealth was info from stalker art stream, of course it's not comfirmed by it but it's the only info we got tbh, and http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-ranger-powers-ui/ if you read under  Melee & Ranged Fighting Styles you find the info about what they wanted ranger to originally be. Nothing is set in stone as everything is in the game at the moment, but that's the info we have

Good find. I had the "oh yeeeeaah" moment as I was reading it. I totally forgot they mentioned that on Ranger back then. However after re-reading it, it does sound like they are pretty set on "Hide" instead of stealth after all the debate they had with themselves on it. 

"Hide is a mode that renders you invisible as long as you remain stationary and does not swap your power tray."

So not true stealth, just motionless invisibility. Which I'm pretty sure we are all hoping for more than that in regards to the Stalker, am I right? So in my opinion, I don't see the Ranger as a similar alternative to the Stalker. But as you pointed out, the game is still in early testing, so a lot is still fluid at the moment.

Like Coolwaters said, "It fkin' better stalk". I think its safe to say we are all agreed on that heh! 

I would specifically like to see the Stalker as a stealth-fast mover (not to the point of total domination, if that's possible). Maybe a temp speed boost ability while in stealth with a deserving cool down? Whats the point of being a "Stalker" if you can't keep up with stalking your prey while in the shadows?  :ph34r: 

Edited by Psycho-Phobic

I'm actually hoping for some sort of hunter-themed core abilities. Based off of the info in the Archetype briefing, the Stalker could potentially benefit from hitting critical points. That said, Stalkers could be DPS-heavy and focused on ranged burst. I'd assume that the "javelins" as people previously mentioned would be a slow-firing, heavy-hitting projectile fired from a giant bow - pretty similarly in that Avatar film.

I'd like to think the Stalker could get some immobile-relying stealth, traps and potentially even rooting/impaling effects from those "javelin" projectiles. I think the melee he'd have would be primarily CC focused - knockbacks, knockdowns, stuns, dazes and potentially the mechanic to create distance - somehow?

Sounds like it'd fit the Archetype given and the links people are drawing based off of the whole idea about his race, size, expected weapon type and what would differentiate the Stalker from the Ranger.

Actually, with that in mind, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the Ranger's [dare I say abilities/skills] core/side features were moved over to the Stalker. I mean, the Ranger is a type of melee/ranged hybrid, right? The Stalker - given what we know - uses a ranged weapon and has some connection to "javelins". 

It's all speculation :S

I'd be expecting the Stalker to have some development of the whole idea of 'tracking' if anything - like previous posts mention. 

Edited by Scissorlips

I'm actually hoping for some sort of hunter-themed core abilities. Based off of the info in the Archetype briefing, the Stalker could potentially benefit from hitting critical points. That said, Stalkers could be DPS-heavy and focused on ranged burst. I'd assume that the "javelins" as people previously mentioned would be a slow-firing, heavy-hitting projectile fired from a giant bow - pretty similarly in that Avatar film.

I'd like to think the Stalker could get some immobile-relying stealth, traps and potentially even rooting/impaling effects from those "javelin" projectiles. I think the melee he'd have would be primarily CC focused - knockbacks, knockdowns, stuns, dazes and potentially the mechanic to create distance - somehow?

Sounds like it'd fit the Archetype given and the links people are drawing based off of the whole idea about his race, size, expected weapon type and what would differentiate the Stalker from the Ranger.

Actually, with that in mind, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the Ranger's [dare I say abilities/skills] core/side features were moved over to the Stalker. I mean, the Ranger is a type of melee/ranged hybrid, right? The Stalker - given what we know - uses a ranged weapon and has some connection to "javelins". 

It's all speculation :S

I'd be expecting the Stalker to have some development of the whole idea of 'tracking' if anything - like previous posts mention. 

I like where you are going with this. I was thinking something similar, from the standpoint of a "hit n' run" (or in this case "hit n' hide") play style. So CC will be very important. Maybe not a hard CC archetype, like it's sounding the Frostweaver could be. But enough Crowd control to at least slip back into the shadows and strike again when the time is right, much like the brief Stalker background/lore suggests. Setting bait so to speak, to strike a lethal blow to the overconfident prey with their mistaken identity as being the hunter, instead of the hunted. 

I would really like to see some possible abilities similar to...

Achilles Snare: Carefully aim a barbed Arrow Javelin to impale your enemies' lower limb(s). Roots the victim in place (for x seconds) and cripples them, inflicting (x%) movement speed (for x seconds).

- This would probably be deserving of a hefty cool down depending on the CC duration.

The Hook/The Hangman: (Only available in melee range) Charge past the enemy hooking their neck with your bowstring, knocking your enemy off their feet. Inflicts knockdown (for x seconds).  

- Pretty straight forward. Slip their head between your bow and string, and give a yank! I think its important to have some limited skills that use your bow after running out of ammunition. The bow itself is a melee weapon! Just slap some blades on both ends (like has been mentioned) and you got yourself a pretty scary melee bow! Kinda reminds me of the Peaky Blinders sowing razor blades into the bills of their caps. People didn't expect that, as I am sure they wouldn't expect you to be swinging your bow at their face heh. 

Bait n' Crit (2 modes):

(Non-Stealth): (First activation)-"Feign Death".

You play dead to lure your prey closer.

(Second activation, melee range only, guaranteed critical hit)-"Not So Dead".

You leap up, using your arrow javelin as a spear to impale your enemy.

(Stealth): (First activation)-"Set the Bait".

You plant a fake tombstone at your feet. 

(Second activation, ranged only, guaranteed critical hit)-"Greed is Costly".

Your prey pays a high price for their greed, suffering a painful shot from your bow.

- My idea for this is that these modes will present a certain margin of risk, with the exclusive range limits of each. For example, the stealth version forcing you to not only move away from the bait before getting discovered. But also, requiring a minimum gap of (x) distance before gaining the ability to execute the second step of the combo. In other words, preventing the skill from being used within the allotted "dead zone".

I am sure there is plenty wrong with the stuff I am suggesting that I just cant think of at 4am  :blink: . The first 2  are somewhat generic, I admit. But I really like the idea of the "Bait n' Crit" modes and combos. Thoughts? Or am I just overtired lol?

Edited by Psycho-Phobic

Achilles Snare: Carefully aim a barbed Arrow Javelin to impale your enemies' lower limb(s). Roots the victim in place (for x seconds) and cripples them, inflicting (x%) movement speed (for x seconds).

- This would probably be deserving of a hefty cool down depending on the CC duration.

I like this and it would be nice to have range be a factor in it too to add some risk for some reward. The further it's shot from the longer the root lasts is something i'd like to have.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:37 AM, Soulreaver said:

Flare - Flash :

Effect : A stealth revealing ability.

Visual : Flare which hangs in the air over an area og 30 m, as it falls to the ground the AoE gets smaller and smaller.

Second Effect : Flash : You can cancel out the flare getting instead a Blind as the flare erubt in a huge flash bang.

+1

I'm assuming this would reveal invisible not only to you but anyone around. Obviously your skill in this would need to be higher then the invis skill of who you reveal.

Don't play with yourself behind your keyboard. PVP!

Okay so forgive me if this has already been said. I got through half of this thread and I really want to give one of my ideas for abilities! I am a total speed junky when building DPS or Scout classes. As far as the Stalker is concerned I would love to see an ability that has the Stalker get down on all fours and gallop (or whatever the word for run is for a deer hybrid) It could have a tick mana drain so the skill can be active for the extent that you like or have a cooldown. But the most important part to me would be the soumd affects. If they can get a good deer gallop sound for the ability I would just melt! The immersion of abilites like that is what makes me love a character. Obviously the stalker could not use any weapons while in his gallop stance since he is on all fours and unable to hold a weapon.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:45 PM, CPU13rother said:

+1

I'm assuming this would reveal invisible not only to you but anyone around. Obviously your skill in this would need to be higher then the invis skill of who you reveal.

How would a flare reveal invisible people?  So far I havent seen any real stealth.

On 08/04/2017 at 5:27 PM, zolaz said:

How would a flare reveal invisible people?  So far I havent seen any real stealth.

Like you shoot a arrow with a flare attached that explode in certain area that the light disrupt the invisible guys or give some blindness so that the enemy get confused and go out of the hiding, something like that? It would be nice since it will have utility against stealth and as a debuffer

But seriously, i want the stalker to be the armor true enemy! If he can shoot a custard javelin, he can at least ignore the armor and pass through, or at least ignore some status. If the ranger is the killer of mages, let the stalker be the killer of high armored melee´s

Edited by vaands

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

How does a flare uncover something that is invisible and that you can not see?  You have to be walking out in the open with no cover or concealment for a flare to out you in the darkness.  You expect someone who has been trained to walk around like that?  All you need is a slight roll in the terrain or a few inches of grass to hide a prone figure.  Especially at night and if your target is further away than a few meters.

18 minutes ago, zolaz said:

How does a flare uncover something that is invisible and that you can not see?  You have to be walking out in the open with no cover or concealment for a flare to out you in the darkness.  You expect someone who has been trained to walk around like that?  All you need is a slight roll in the terrain or a few inches of grass to hide a prone figure.  Especially at night and if your target is further away than a few meters.

You could use a flare offensively, and probably have a 10-30% success rate at uncovering stealth depending on your opponent, but you could also use it defensively; at a choke point for example - to ensure no one stealthed gets by. I'm not 100% how stealth will work(full invis, or detectable up close, etc...) but picture watching a choke point from a distance, while you hold higher ground to see other threats. Drop a flare down in the choke point to ensure no one sneaking up on you.

Right now there isnt any stealth.  If you are close to a "stealther" than you see them.  If you are paying attention you can see them from pretty far away and catch up to them if they try and get away.  Personally, I would prefer having non stealth zones and places that it is really hard to hide in than the present mechanic.  

Look, what i think

Stealth: Invisible, hide in the earth, etc...

There is two ways i think to counter stealth that could implemented in the game without nerfing stealth or creating non stealth zone. 

-One could be the introduction of abilities that disrupt stealth by forcing the skill to cooldown, that could be just a "sense" skill. Like this: I am very perceptive, but the guys of my group aren't, i spotted someone close by, what i do? I shout and inform all my friends, that way, there is no meaning for the enemy to remain in stealth

-The second option i think is already in the game, is like chosing to evolve in the skill tree as a anti stealth and if the enemy stealth have the same level then my anti stealth or lower, them he can be spotted.

I think i got a litle sidetracked from the topic objective, but i will stop here

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

22 hours ago, Imperial said:

You could use a flare offensively, and probably have a 10-30% success rate at uncovering stealth depending on your opponent, but you could also use it defensively; at a choke point for example - to ensure no one stealthed gets by. I'm not 100% how stealth will work(full invis, or detectable up close, etc...) but picture watching a choke point from a distance, while you hold higher ground to see other threats. Drop a flare down in the choke point to ensure no one sneaking up on you.

Why would you have a 10-30% success rate?  If I am hidden behind a tree and you have 0% line of sight to me, you arent going to see me.  If I am concealed in a bush and again you have 0% line of sight, you are not going to see me.  If I am hidden in slight depression in the ground and you light a flare, you have 0% line of sight and do not see me.  Seems a bit arbitrary to give something a guaranteed success rate when things dont happen like that in the real world.

16 minutes ago, zolaz said:

Why would you have a 10-30% success rate?  If I am hidden behind a tree and you have 0% line of sight to me, you arent going to see me.  If I am concealed in a bush and again you have 0% line of sight, you are not going to see me.  If I am hidden in slight depression in the ground and you light a flare, you have 0% line of sight and do not see me.  Seems a bit arbitrary to give something a guaranteed success rate when things dont happen like that in the real world.

Okay man! I have answer! Vibrations!!! Make the stalker kick the ground and put ear on the ground to localize any living things in the proximities, like a radar!!! It doesnt matter anymore what type of stealth you have.

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

It was a random, low percentage, stat to account for luck essentially. It doesn't really apply here because there is no stealth currently. There is sneaking, but no invisibility ability.

We were talking about two different things, and thats my bad coming from a standard theme park mmo perspective where stealth is invisibility unless you get too close to someone. A lost in translation moment ?

Welp, with the merger of Ranger and Stalker hope now is whatever abilities where planned will help distinguish it from the baseline Ranger which to me wasn't very impressive if I'm being honest and why I didn't like Ranger but was looking forward to the Stalker.

33 minutes ago, pang said:

Welp, with the merger of Ranger and Stalker hope now is whatever abilities where planned will help distinguish it from the baseline Ranger which to me wasn't very impressive if I'm being honest and why I didn't like Ranger but was looking forward to the Stalker.

If I were to guess, you could replace your melee tray with more ranged abilities via Disciplines. Certainly a guess, though.

Edited by Jah

6 minutes ago, Jah said:

If I were to guess, you could replace your melee tray with more ranged abilities via Disciplines. Certainly a guess, though.

True enough. I put a few questions about this in the Q&A thread.

With the clearly opening up of options for classes I am more confident will be able to build it how one wants.