Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Murder of Crows: Gordon Walton pt 3

Awesome. It was a long run seeing the last and final part, but it was well worth it!

@gordon Since you're willing to answer questions, and you being an avid reader, what do you consider the best book you ever read?

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

>@gordon Since you're willing to answer questions, and you being an avid reader, what do you consider the best book you ever read?

Best is so subjective.  Best for what?  Most impactful, most thought-provoking, most paradigm-shifting, most valuable to career growth, etc...?

Maybe I need to do a Murder of Books!

Books I'll offhand recommend:

Fiction

Kingslayer Chronicles (Rothfuss)

The Night's Dawn Trilogy (Hamilton)

Posleen War series (Ringo)

Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit (Quinn)

Non-Fiction

Winning Through Intimidation (Ringer)

The Power of Unfair Advantage: How to Create It, Build it, and Use It to Maximum Effect  (Nesheim)

The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing (Rozen)
The Lucifer Effect (Foley and Zimbardo)

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Enjoyed you Biography Gordon, 

That's a fine looking swale ya got there Gordon, looks like it goes from zone 1 to zone 5 did you hugelkultur?

Yep.  Most of my swales were hugelkultur swales (which is tricky to do right).  Ended up doing over 4,000' of them.  Also had dozens of separate hugelkultur mounds.  Our soils needed the extra organic material and moisture retention badly!    https://www.facebook.com/DancingTurtlesRanch/?fref=ts

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Really nice story Gordon.  And good storytelling too.

Felt like I was there at times.

edit: Lol at the end where you say: "Fun fact, I carry a gun everywhere I go," I hear:

"I realize you Shadowbane players are every bit as nuts as the UO players were, so just understand I'm packin'."

Edited by coolwaters

Thanks for taking the time to tell this Gordon.  As a young producer in the industry (~5 years now counting my QA time) I always find these stories so enlightening.  I hope to have at least a sliver of the career you had.

Thank you sir,

Beetle aka Mr. Urbanek's friend from Raven Software.

Yep.  Most of my swales were hugelkultur swales (which is tricky to do right).  Ended up doing over 4,000' of them.  Also had dozens of separate hugelkultur mounds.  Our soils needed the extra organic material and moisture retention badly!    https://www.facebook.com/DancingTurtlesRanch/?fref=ts

Thanks for the facebook link.

Sorry ya got burned out twice, but Permaculture means working with nature and forces of nature like fire. Bet your soil will use that tree ash to jump start the colonizers.

Thank you @Tyrant

It was a privilege to hear you talk about your life journey in a nutshell.

One of the biggest lessons I take away from it is that its alright to follow your gut from time to time. Other opportunities will present themselves like they did previously and then you can make the most of it again.

It gives me confidence in Crowfall to have your wisdom and experience as part of the team.

Keep up the good work guys,

Whip

If Tyrant will indulge me, the questions I have are:

1.  The Campaign Worlds/Eternal Kingdoms dynamic seems to spring off doomed past MMO attempts to marry open world PVP with "living worlds" that instead resulted in declining subscriptions as many fled the chaos.  While some projects like Chronicles of Elyria plan to keep tilting at this windwill, is the challenge too great to be overcome without hard-coded restrictions (high sec, Trammel, EK's etc)?  

2.  As advances occur in AI, do you envision near-future opportunities for NPCs with complex AI to become features in MMOs? 

[REFERENCE TO HBO WESTWORLD EDITED OUT]

Edited by cemya

PermaCulture + Firearms = Prepper :)  ( I am too :))

As an ex Rifleman/Medic/Creature Handler with a pet Rancor and a 60 Sith Inquisitor I can tell you i enjoyed your work :)

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

Thanks for sharing, Gordon! 

It brought a smile to my face to learn you're a man of the earth and that you also exercise your second amendment right :)  

I enjoy these MoC bits, keep it up!

Hg0LXwa.png

This is somewhat depressing and reminds me of HBO Westworld's take (do you watch?) where .....

I can't believe I almost got West World spoilers, (stopped reading and very carefully clipped without looking)  from a Crowfall developer question.

Oh well, no safe spaces for me I guess.

BTW, interesting history.  Love how up front and honest you were.  

Almost made me sorry I had to give up game development. 

BTW, What were the years you were at EA?  

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Hah, when I get home I am going to watch all 3 episodes at once !

Did you ever consider making development of Crowfall a reality show ? With the current level of interest in game dev, imagine level of publicity you are probably going to get.

Edited by rajah

Really liked the video.  My favorite bits for the GW series are where he won't do super shady things and would rather leave the company than go through with certain orders from above.

I also really liked the bit at the end where he talks about staying up to date with culture, I think that is very important any time you want to put out a project in some sort of entertainment based business.

You see so many companies miss the mark with games that have a significant amount of money invested in them because some out of touch businessman was calling the shots and forced a completely undesirable product. 

Being well-cultured helps you in all aspects of life, and especially helps you to be able to project what will likely happen in certain industries in the future.  Often times if you know which way the customers are shifting you know which way the products will shift. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

PermaCulture + Firearms = Prepper :)  ( I am too :))

I was thinking the same thing.

Gordon,

What's your daily Carry? 

Glock 17 here.

Nice looking place u have there. Did you go to a permaculture design class, have someone design it for you or just winging it?