Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

Would you rather crowfall look dark and grim or vibrant?

Do you guys prefer how the game currently looks?

I'd prefer it look closer to the KS, I want dark and grey worlds that feel like they are being devastated, ravaged, and consumed.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

CF at this point, graphically wise, i like to see it as the beginning of a CW (Spring season) which i dont mind the colorfull within it, but i would like to see something closer to KS also. If they managed to make it grim as CW seasons pass by to an end, would be awesome no doubt!

I prefer the vibrant look. Dark and grim gets boring and depressing really quickly. Games are about having fun and boring and depressing is not fun.

The vibrant look is garish and obnoxious. The grim, darker look is more stark, austere and mysterious. It all depends on your perspective, though I suspect the seasons will change the tone of the world quite a bit (I hope this feature is still in).

When it comes to equipment, I'd rather the artists just spruce up and stylize historical weapons and armors.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

yeah, i think you guys hit it already that it should start out vibrant and end up dark. Shadowbane's allure for most of us that it was dark. Then WoW launches and your eyes bleed forever because every game since (other than darkfall) is like a MLP/Kawaii nightmare. But keep it vibrant initially so we get more optimistic crafters to kill.

yeah, i think you guys hit it already that it should start out vibrant and end up dark. Shadowbane's allure for most of us that it was dark. Then WoW launches and your eyes bleed forever because every game since (other than darkfall) is like a MLP/Kawaii nightmare. But keep it vibrant initially so we get more optimistic crafters to kill.

Did you ever try to play WoW WITH digital vibrance on?

I think a dark gritty world feels more dangerous and just adds to the feel of everything you do within that world. 

Cartoony graphics and vibrant colors just make me feel like I am going DZ at discovery zone.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Agreed. I'd like to see a good dynamic range between vibrant "springtime" themes and grimdark "winter" themes.

From this:

Cybele_Watermark.jpg

To this:

Yaga_Watermark.jpg

The second picture doesn't seem that bad to me to be honest. When I think dark and grim I think ESO which is just poo. The second picture is still colorful and interesting, giving you things you actually want to look at. It just has a different theme and feel to it, but it's definitely far from ESO style colors and graphics. I could appreciate a season like that Yaga concept.

Edited by Leiloni

Do you guys prefer how the game currently looks?

I'd prefer it look closer to the KS, I want dark and grey worlds that feel like they are being devastated, ravaged, and consumed.

My hope is they add in more variation be it all the time or through seasons to the lighting, sky, textures, and overall world.

It doesn't look bad now, but when everything is so vibrant, each object stands out too much for me. I'd rather less detail and darker tones, which might even be better for performance.

The KS video seems to use a lot of smoke, fire, night scenes which make somethings fade into the background and others stand out. Right now everything just too sparkly and in your face. I don't want to notice every single rock.

Weather would be nice too. Sunny days and night...

Hopefully the art team has a lot planned.

When I think dark and grim I think ESO which is just poo. 

Agreed. I appreciate the style, but far too bland for me personally. There are other colors besides brown and green, which happen to be the color of many poos  :ph34r:

Edited by APE

Just make the game as if you played it in the northern area of the world. In the summer there's always light even trough the night and when it gets to winter there's only 5% of the daycycle with light. Should make it dark enough for assassins too.

It should also get time to time so cold in the winter that you can't force your character outside.

I think diablo 3 did a good job of having both. You go from a dark Tristram-like that made diablo its name, to the brilliant palace city, then back to hell until you reach heaven.

I think we will have both: going from brilliant and light in summer, to dark and desolated in winter.

Also that Crowfall art linked above also reminds me of the way Aion did it with Asmos vs Elyos areas. Asmo areas were darker, a bit depressing and definitely cold. They did a good job of creating the atmosphere and feeling desired without making it look like ESO. So if Crowfall can do something similar with the sort of style we've seen in the concept art I think it'll be fine.

Edited by Leiloni

Agreed. I'd like to see a good dynamic range between vibrant "springtime" themes and grimdark "winter" themes.

Great examples!

Both look good.  Both could have even more color range, but at some point it becomes a style decision.

For example, here's TERA in three versions:  (Best viewed on a good monitor.)

http://i.imgur.com/4uQB8CW.jpg

Now take a look at the 2015 Crowfall video, which shows many examples of one style, but different color balance and contrast.   

Here's one that looks pretty fun.  "Vibrant", but not too Overwatch fruit salad:

http://i.imgur.com/tkQTnDN.jpg

Here's one that looks pretty boring.  This EK would not have a ton of visitors:

http://i.imgur.com/lhb6vv3.jpg

And here are two where high contrast just happen to make the mid-tones easier to live with and improve visibility:

http://i.imgur.com/aS09rXK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jshCMlD.jpg