Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stiviribar

Worried About Environment

I could do without seeing the spectacular sights from OP. 

I think the terrain actually looks rather good.  From what I've seen of the building styles (in the Legionnaire screen), and the background and foreground natural terrain (in the Forgemaster screen) I think it looks great already. 

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Centaurs are only male as well.

Games expand over time so I'm less worried about having Tera or Aion level flourishes on the look of the game and more concerned over getting the core structure of the game right.

If ACE can release a well balanced game with enough challenge to dismay without punishing, enough logistics to bewilder but not disgust, and enough tech to carry off the seiges they're golden.  They can add the bells and whistles as time goes on (for example - SWTOR & Rift launched without housing - now both have housing.)

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Centaurs are only male as well.

Ya, I  guess it was confirmed in the statement, "and non-humanoids (i.e. the “monster races”) are locked to a single gender".

I agree with  you on what they need to deliver to be golden, all very good things to hope for.  I do not think all things can be added after the fact.  Housing can be touchy and if you add it after the game is made then it would have to be insta.... the I word I refuse to say, like in Rift and SWTOR.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

I just don't think it emphasizes player skill as much as they're trying to. Plus I think it will be far too exploitable.

Additionally, that's a TALL order for a small niche MMO to accomplish. I mean, they're already gender locking some Archetypes because they only have so many resources to develop the game.

It has already been shown to work in both Minecraft and ArmA Epoch. What exploits?

"Skill" in a MMO? Surely you jest. I am not going to make assumptions about what resources they have. Making it a better sandbox would not have adverse effects on the game.

It has already been shown to work in both Minecraft and ArmA Epoch. What exploits?

"Skill" in a MMO? Surely you jest. I am not going to make assumptions about what resources they have. Making it a better sandbox would not have adverse effects on the game.

Although some sandbox elements would not hinder the gameplay these Devs are aiming for, that does not mean that some features of sandbox don't compete against elements of a game of PvP conflict and conquest.

One example is the generation and harvesting of resources.  In a game that focuses on creativity (A sandbox), resources are preferably plentiful (You might have a different opinion on that, I'm just building on my own experiences).  In a game that focuses on player competition, resources are preferably limited to promote confrontation between players over the resources they desire.

Sandbox elements are a welcome addition to Crowfall (Because we all love playing in a sandbox), but those that hinder a competitive atmosphere in the game will most likely be cut in favor of other mechanics (Judging from the Stoneman Forgemaster update, it looks like high end resources will probably be contested by players who specialize in killing players, it will be hard for players who prefer crafting to harvest these resources).

Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

The thing is, we're also going to be sieging cities. That's hard to balance with player customized structures.

It may be fun to design every aspect of your building/city, but it may not necessarily translate to fun and balanced PvP .

Have fun getting to my keep:

lxC64vw.gif

First, because of the city pictured above being a very real possibility with a custom city building system I would personally rather see pre-designed cities. The focus of crowfall is territory conquest and a player run economy, not creative building. Not to be a hooligan but if you care that much about building your very own beautiful city go play minecraft or something else.\

Second, I would also much rather Artcraft's time and resources be spent on gameplay rather than on carebear fluff.

First, because of the city pictured above being a very real possibility with a custom city building system I would personally rather see pre-designed cities. The focus of crowfall is territory conquest and a player run economy, not creative building. Not to be a hooligan but if you care that much about building your very own beautiful city go play minecraft or something else.\

Second, I would also much rather Artcraft's time and resources be spent on gameplay rather than on carebear fluff.

Exactly, the game will just devolve into creative building and using as many exploits or tricks into making your Keep as hard as possible to siege - when the game should be about the actual siege and battles.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Exactly, the game will just devolve into creative building and using as many exploits or tricks into making your Keep as hard as possible to siege - when the game should be about the actual siege and battles.

Good games are about more than just one thing. If this game is about sieges it should also allow for gameplay that relates to sieges between them. This is both smaller skirmish battles and building up your town defenses to better weather the next siege. Having a good defensive designer is useful in the same way as having players who are better organizers and tacticians for large battles. All of this comes together and makes a dynamic battle experience instead of repeated stale sieges on totall prefab structures.

Good games are about more than just one thing. If this game is about sieges it should also allow for gameplay that relates to sieges between them. This is both smaller skirmish battles and building up your town defenses to better weather the next siege. Having a good defensive designer is useful in the same way as having players who are better organizers and tacticians for large battles. All of this comes together and makes a dynamic battle experience instead of repeated stale sieges on totall prefab structures.

I just disagree. I don't think a game that is about skill should be decided by how complex and exploitative someone can design a city.

Frankly, I think it will kill the game because sieges just won't like be successful except in the cases of very overwhelming power.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

I could do without seeing the spectacular sights from OP. 

I think the terrain actually looks rather good.  From what I've seen of the building styles (in the Legionnaire screen), and the background and foreground natural terrain (in the Forgemaster screen) I think it looks great already. 

I agree. I don't really like OP's screenshots. I'm hoping this game takes more of a medieval environment than fantasy.

I don't think you are considering all the implications of a player city building system with that much freedom. Or maybe you are and just care more about creativity than having a good game. 

One compromise could be to have slots for say large/medium/small buildings and then you could arrange your city how you like, but there should absolutely not be complete freedom in city design.

Edited by Zeonx

Ok people I going to use the "Game That Shall Not Be Named" as an example for City Building since the game had player built cities and no prefab structures you build up after finding them.

In this game you first had to buy with gold a thing called a seed. What the seed did was grow a Tree of Life and that Tree of Life enabled you to build a city around it. However the size of the city you could build was limited to a city grid. On that city grid you could place whatever you wanted as long as the building's and walls didn't sit to close together. How you got buildings and walls was to go to a NPC called the builder and buy for gold the building/wall piece. So if you wanted an Inn you bought an inn, went back to your tree and place it. Now besides being limited in size by the city grid, you only had so many "protection" slots that made your building invulnerable to destruction. As you ranked up your city you could get more protection slots but eventually you will max out. What that means is that if you placed a structure on your city grid and not "protected" it, anyone could come along and destroy it at any time.

So no you just couldn't keep building and building and building and if you really want to learn about that there is the wiki's and Rivkah's notes.

Now we know they are talking about building here so they could have a system where there is a city grid and you can't build past that and instead of going to a NPC builder you have to have a player Crafter that can make the parts for the buildings.

I don't think you are considering all the implications of a player city building system with that much freedom. Or maybe you are and just care more about creativity than having a good game. 

One compromise could be to have slots for say large/medium/small buildings and then you could arrange your city how you like, but there should absolutely not be complete freedom in city design.

I don't think you're considering the possibilities. City building pieces can be designed to connect in certain ways and have certain restrictions that prevent cities from being non-sensicle piles of imperivious junk. There can also be limitations on building that make it more difficult and expensive to build structures that are more difficult to attack.

Things aren't black and white, it's not either fully freeform minecraft or fully prefab. There are a variety of PvP games in a variety of genres that allow players to build bases that other players can attack. It's been done well before, I don't see why it can't work here.

I don't think you're considering the possibilities. City building pieces can be designed to connect in certain ways and have certain restrictions that prevent cities from being non-sensicle piles of imperivious junk. There can also be limitations on building that make it more difficult and expensive to build structures that are more difficult to attack.

Things aren't black and white, it's not either fully freeform minecraft or fully prefab. There are a variety of PvP games in a variety of genres that allow players to build bases that other players can attack. It's been done well before, I don't see why it can't work here.

Lol what? I suggested something in between. 

Lol what? I suggested something in between. 

Then why did you say that city building wasn't considering implications? I didn't say that players needed complete freeform control just that city building and defensive design is important to a game about sieges.

And yes, I see that you did suggest a compromise, somehow that was washed over by my desire to respond to the first statement. However, I was never thinking complete freeform city building so it's an odd conversation to be having.

Edited by Django

Many people have been suggesting that, so I understand his concern.

I'm fine with something like this. Have walls be pre-placed, but let the city owners decide what building they have and where they go.

I just don't think people should be placing walls or entrances, though. But, they should let people build on to them (Ramparts, Towers, Steel Gates, etc).

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

In the Belgariad series of books, there was a stronghold where the entire thing was a maze. There was no "getting to the end", there was no end. The people lived in the walls of the maze and rained down destruction on the armies that tried to invade, not knowing that the maze never quit.

Kind of like a tower defense game, but envisioned long before they existed.

Could we build that? :)

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

The thing is, we're also going to be sieging cities. That's hard to balance with player customized structures.

It may be fun to design every aspect of your building/city, but it may not necessarily translate to fun and balanced PvP .

Have fun getting to my keep:

lxC64vw.gif

ah how would you go out  of it yourself , and if game requires resource management like in blade desert it would just waste time , on top of that why would you waste so much space on defense alone ... ( you can instead build a pretty nice city ) , and are you sure that flying or flying mounts won't exists at all . Building this big defense would cost huge resource hence nearly impossible .

P.S - I know you are not referring to this design in particular , rather how can city/ castle be impenetrable , but again it would add a layer to thinking and strategy .