Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harvesting redux - Official discussion thread

Pann

The gathering tool changes are welcomed. It's much more interesting being able to craft a specific type of pick with certain attributes based off the alloys you use rather than gold just flat out being the best.

I think this is a great change and very much needed in the current system. 

How will this work in the inner bands on day 1 of a campaign? Players won't have tools or resources, presumably. Will the default axe and basic tools be able to harvest the higher rank nodes in these worlds (though very slowly)? Or will there be lower rank nodes in these worlds as well?

Edited by Arkade

We also used a very typical tool progression model. In the most general description, these models are based on it being harder to harvest gold than it is to harvest copper and the player needs a gold pick to harvest gold. This tends to work in games that have a corresponding crafting model of iron being better than copper and tin is better than iron and up.

Thank you for listening to this.

It just felt like the tiered resource tools didint jive with crafting in general.

Iterations is where you get to that great game.

Although apples and balancing are annoying its good to see the focus is on core mechanics.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

The changes look good.

I did have some concern over this line though:

"Ideally the crafter experiments this stat as high as possible during the crafting process. Since potential stat amounts are linked to experimentation, this creates a scenario where a blue quality tool should bypass more armor than a grey quality tool (unless you had the worst experimentation rolls ever)."

Because of how experimentation and higher quality resources seem to interact.  But I can see this being fleshed out too if they started with the resource nodes.

I'm excited to test this out however!

This makes far more sense. The tier system really never felt right to me, and gold tool rushing was trivial (and would have caused many issues in real campaigns)

One query though - why not let us also add stats to make a tool very specifically good against one type e.g. bonus vs copper etc too?

[i still can barely use the forum at the moment by the way you can bypass by using full editor if quick reply totally failing to post for others too....]

Edited by Tinnis

There was a time where we saw a lot of posts related to this. Honestly i didnt care too much about the tiered resources nor the changes people proposed in the threads.

But seeing this post i must admit that this change seems a lot better than before. Good job to all the people who brought this up and argued that the tools could improve.

Seems like an improvement over the current system :D

Cant wait to test it out when it goes live!

Archetypes I am Interested in: Templar, Legionnaire, Myrmidon, Confessor.
Also, Looking for a Guild, preferably Oceanic but also US West works best for me. (Misery)

Awesome Upgrade. 

Love this idea. It was very not intuitive to me before. First learning crafting and metal "tiers" I assumed this was how armor and weapons worked. Im glad you opted for the consistency across the board where the material represents stats, and quality of the item/resource represents how "good" it is.

This is a big upgrade.

Also I am LOVING the UI updates to show the "tier" of the node in the tool tip along with the "crit" visual thing. Thats a HUGE improvement as well! Kudos guys!

(Still waiting for an overhaul like this on the Skill Tree... Many many posts littered all over the forums about this.)

Loving the willingness of ACE to listen to its communities ideas that make sense and then actually implementing them in these various iterations of the game development. 

Thanks Vectious and all the others that helped lay out the ideas for change.