Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
malenx

Should this game allow macroing with the developers blessings?

Should this game allow for macroing with the developers blessings like Shadowbane did?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Should macroing have the developers blessings?

• Yeah, go for it!
    • No, no way

Macroing is nice in boring games, with a boring grind, or boring farming.  This game will hopefully not be any of those things.  I voted no because I have faith that actively playing your character will be so much god damn fun that you won't even think about botting it.  Also, if the designers remove EXP grinding (no leveling) then the only reason to macro is farming, and I would rather pkill active players who are farming over slaughtering ezmode AI.

A macro is a program that does one thing over and over. If the game design requires this, then macros should be allowed. Most people would prefer to play a game that engages and challenges their strategy and critical thinking, not their patience. 

ummm...HELL NO!

no bots...no macros....

if it's left up to lil ole meh...no multi accounts, i'd rather see one acount and one toon (linked to the Forum name) for....

/drumroll

FULL accountability

that way there's no doubt when you burn someone's house down

could just be meh....

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Howdy Everyone!

Mourne hit the nail on the head here. I really hope our gameplay leads to the player not wanting or feeling that they need to write overnight macro bots to stay with the pack. A bold claim I know but I think it's a natural byproduct of the systems we have designed for you.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Some games get to be sheer hell when you need to be constantly running bots and multiple accounts for defence and farming.24/7 action lol. Part of building those enormous accounts is that when there's drama, things get very interesting. But that said, it doesn't really worry me. If the economy and environment demands it,  I'm sure people will just do it and run the risk of sanctions. I'm really hoping like all the others, that the game won't include the boring bits which mean people feel they need to bot.

No macros would be my first choice. Macros that performed boring and mundane tasks such as leveling may be tolerated but, at what point do macros go from being helpful to giving one player an unfair advantage?

I voted yes, but I really do not care. Macro'ing isn't something to grow hysterical about so long as the macros involved are relatively simple. When Asian players create scripts that allow them to kill and loot level 3 monsters for 72 hours straight with relative impunity, though, that's a problem.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

If people want to macro things in your game (on a bot-like level), then you have failed as a developer (i.e. you made something so godawfully painful/dull/boring/long/etc that people would rather risk a ban than do it legit).

Macros combining a couple skills together to save on hotbar space, now that sort of thing I'm all for.

rSHxVEY.gif

If you want a crafter, a character more complete than the others, waste your time on it then. Crafting while you are AFK, and playing PvP/PvE when you are no longer away, is dishonest toward those who don't have a crafter because of PvP/PvE. If you don't want to craft, or if you don't have time for it, it doesn't mean you are allowed to use macros; contrariwise, it means the neutral behavior is playing like the OTHER PLAYERS, with a non-crafter character. That's justice.

Edited by ciunay_ragathol

If there is something that can be macroed then that part of the game should be removed.  If you can macro it, it likely isn't fun and I play games to have fun, not to have a second job.

No, it's shouldn't be allowed, and frankly if there are so many repetitive or awkward tasks that we'll want to automate them, the game mechanics are fail.

When I read this I thought about mining.  Click the node - mine the node till done - pick up ore and put in pack, all in a single click.  Read where the thread is going, and no.  Fug no.  Why would anyone even suggest such a thing as afk botting with "developers blessings"?  If a game sucked that bad that that was the only way to stand playing it, why the hell did you play it?????

LOL, try SB. It has some issues and macroing is possibly one of them, but otherwise it's just great. Basically people macro for two reasons:

1. Go around the nuisance of grinding or farming gold to buy gear, etc. That is a job and not enjoyable play, so people macros. Get rid of repetitive work and people will mostly not feel the need to macro. Obviously SB did not go far enough in its revolutionary achievements, so there was still some room to macro for leveling/farming, which are things accessory to the real game.

2. Use more than one toon (character) at the same time, typically a healer in macro while you do something else with another toon (fighting for example). Or a druid farming while you are in your scout watching the surroundings. I think this kind of macroing and multi-boxing is not good thing, so game design should either look to avoid its need or just enforce the fact that if you need two toons, you need also two active players behind them.

I'm saying no to macro/multi-boxing but also not to the need for it (at least mostly not). So no need for grinding (either for levels or gold) and you get rid of all the "good" reasons for macroing.

This is why I like the idea of abstracting resource gathering away from the players. Don't even let them do it. Let player-directed NPCs do it. So in a sense, yes, people would be using something like macros. They'd just be built into the game and balanced by the devs.