Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Differences between castles/forts and other buildings

jasta85

Just saw the email of the sale they are having on buildings, and was considering getting one.  The issue is that I already have a small castle and a fort, I have no idea what I can do with these buildings.  For all I know I can fit a dozen crafters and vendors in my fort which makes getting another house which can only fit 1 or 2 rather redundant.  It's hard to make a purchase decision (especially on a sale) when I don't know how to compare the different products to see what is the best deal.  Have the devs put out any kind of clarification on this?

Just saw the email of the sale they are having on buildings, and was considering getting one.  The issue is that I already have a small castle and a fort, I have no idea what I can do with these buildings.  For all I know I can fit a dozen crafters and vendors in my fort which makes getting another house which can only fit 1 or 2 rather redundant.  It's hard to make a purchase decision (especially on a sale) when I don't know how to compare the different products to see what is the best deal.  Have the devs put out any kind of clarification on this?

Unfortunately not much info. So its a bit of a gamble. But they do look cool!

Looking for a casual guild ...

Just like Dirkoff said.

Generally it seems to make sense to interpret stronghold parcels and their main buildings as guild (or group) housing objects -- and houses as single player housing objects.

To say:

If someone is completely new to the game (at the current state), it makes most sense to buy a house. It allows you to be a vassal in any kingdom that invites you or to place it in your own basic Eternal Kingdom. You can place a work station or a merchant thrall in it (or maybe several, depending on the house type) and you can give tenant rights to other players (see EK FAQ).

Once the game is published, most new people will probably be tenants. It is much more convenient to just rent a place in a house. So even houses may be enough to start a small group business.

A real stronghold will usually be something for larger groups. I know that this has not yet reached the mind of most people. But as far as i can see, a small castle like yours is meant to support up to 60 players/shops. If you are familiar with Star Citizen, consider strongholds like a castle beeing something like a capital ship. Personally i use to multiply the support numbers by 10 to estimate the needed numbers of guild(group) members and visitors to maintain a reasonable use of a stronghold.

So,

• you can use your KS stronghold, to give other people the right to use it. You earned it buy helping the game prosper from the beginning.
  • you can provide your KS stronghold to people who would like to use such a big estate. Just make sure you get a part of the cake (taxes).
  • you can use your KS stronghold as personal housing. Don't care about others. It's yours. Place it in your EK and use the thrall slots like you want to.
  • you already got 2 cottages with your KS amber package. Become a vassal in any other EK and place them there to be part of it.

As far as we know up to now, maintenance cost will apply to buildings alone (not the stronghold itself) ... increased by a factor depending on the parcel type they are placed on and decreased by the number of adjacent tax-free cells.

So depending on how big you want to play, it might make sense to rent out your castle to others and to use your existing houses in well known EK's to trade and/or maybe one as a personal house in your private kingdom.

As a normal player, with your KS Amber package you don't really need anything else.

On the other side, any deal you do now is surely better than any deal you may get later. If you want more, you better get it now! ;)

thanks for the answers, I think it would be nice for the devs to lay out an up to date outline of how the different types of buildings will work.  Do they all serve the same purpose (places to stick thralls and vendor locations) or do different buildings serve different purposes.  The fact that the villa and the manor both just say they support multiple thralls and vendors (not an actual number of each) makes it hard to decide which one to get.  the manor has about 3 times the square foot of the villa, but does that mean it has 3 times as many residents?  an FAQ or something would help a lot.

Hopefully at some point they can add some type of mechanic that allows your EK to be attacked, like some sort of event you can submit your EK to be part of for a reward. You know, so you can make use of those really awesome walls. :)

As far as we know, you will be able to activate/deactivate PvP and destruction and to define who may enter your EK. So you will just have to organize a conquest event and prices yourself and on you go.

As far as we know, you will be able to activate/deactivate PvP and destruction and to define who may enter your EK. So you will just have to organize a conquest event and prices yourself and on you go.

What would be interesting, and people would probably pay for, is the ability to copy your EK in it's entirety for a massive PvP "event", and then revert it to the pre-event state.

Even enter your EK structure into a tournament, to see who's can hold up the longest in a siege etc.

If building you EK basically requires hours of in game preparation, and possibly months to get good resources from the CW's, people are not as likely to allow people to knock their little sand castles over.  If however they could do it and have them restored to a saved state after, that might be appealing.

In the F.A.Q there is a section that says that they will be working on a system where you can trade something for its equivalent value.  I believe it is in the upgrade section of the EK F.A.Q.  Though that is very old information, and it may have changed.  The premise was (as I understood it and as an example) that you could trade in something like a Citadel Parcel for what resources it costs, then add your own resources for the remaining to upgrade that to a Palace Parcel.

If the above is still true, then getting something during the sale will very likely be of benefit since you can trade it for resources if you end up not needing it (or rent it out to others and tax them for it).

Dare to dream.  Never be satisfied with what is.  We're restricted by time and money.  But if we do not dare to dream, we will never improve efficiently when opportunity strikes.

Each feature has its own meta; it's own audience.  Who prefers simplicity versus intricate complexity?  Who does not?  When does it provide meaningful depth to a specific structure or economy?  Is there a way to implement both?  How many characters will they control?  And their options?