Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catberry

Suggestions/First impressions (5 days gameplay)

Hey guys,

Last week was my first weekend of Crowfall and I've been writing a list with suggestions from my personal experience and thought it would be helpful to share them :) Please feel free to discuss as well!

1. Please be punctual. If you say you're gonna open the servers at 4pm GMT do it at 4pm GMT, not 6am GMT. There's a big difference and people who have to work and plan things out come in on time, thinking they'll be in the first wave to come in just to realise that you decided to put the servers up hours earlier and everyone's already gotten their crafted gear. Seriously. Some of us are actually punctual and plan things :( 

2. Duelist playthrough impression: first and foremost, please make a female hamster. I know you said animal races will be without gender options but the world needs female hamsters. Or at least a bunny version. Now, to actual gameplay stuff - the hamster is slow. Far too slow. The slowest of all the classes from my impression. Instead of trying to pick on people on low hp and take them out, I find myself chasing after people I can never keep up with or being very quickly chased down by anyone else. This hamster needs more speed. Especially if you plan on keeping the confessor's speed the way it is. Some cone/aoe skill. I'm finding it very hard to actually poke people, but that could be just me. Some sort of aim indication of how much area you're affecting would be helpful. Another thing - make the noise from the burrow more quiet. People can hear me from a mile away. It's easy to spot outside grass anyway, it's not really stealth if you're one giant poop making horrible noises. 

3. Sort bags. Need this badly. Like right now. I'm trying not to add too many thing here of what to add, as this is alpha and I'm sure you've heard it all a million times, so I'm concentrating on the right now and what's there now, but please, I cannot spend another 2 hours sorting my materials just to have them all fail or disappear. 

4. I find the navigator extremely confusing, especially when in a party with people who are all in different locations. I'll admit I'm not the brightest when it comes to directions but with no map, no minimap and just one flat line with directions as my only means to get places I just don't get anywhere at all. I'm not saying add map or minimap, I'm okay without having these things, but at least make the navigator a cross, not just one line. Gotta have some depth to understand where things are.

5. Party alliances. FFXIV has this function, to have multiple parties in an alliance. Not quite a raid group, it's still separate normal groups, but they can't hurt eachother. 

So far I am having loads of fun and can't wait to see how the game develops! The thing I'm looking forward to the most is having lag-free pvp. :'D

cat_gif__by_rukirin16-d4uqn9u.gif

Catberry,

I feel for you. I'm normally at work during the day so I fall neatly into that "at work when servers come up by surprise" category. This weekend was a rare exception, and you're exactly right. By the time the servers became more populated, I and those that were on had used the time to gear up.

That said, please no. No bunnies. My pride cannot hold up against the idea of being ganked by little female bunny swashbucklers. Kidding, it's not a bad idea. Dunno how they'd work it into the lore. Probably better to just model/animate a female Guinecean racial choice.

Duelists are my go-to for resource farming on Sorrow. I find that while playing mine, I tend to approach PVP situations from the mindset of "if they get away, don't chase them" and just kind of stalk them from afar until they think they've gotten away. Then ambush them again. The stealth (burrow) mechanic is interesting, though I haven't tested how far away you can be heard. I understand the frustration of being seen in open terrain. I tend to stick to the high grass wherever possible.

On the speed of the race, I find that if I stay burrowed and use the tunnel ability (teleport) on cooldown it's really quite effective at closing the gap with player's that don't spam movement abilities like Druid and Confessor.

Can't quite say much about the aim issue you're having, though some higher contrast on the reticle might be helpful. I don't think I'd enjoy visible aoe/cone spread effects on the ground. Personal preference though.

On the rest, I agree with you. Specifically on the sort bag option (Spirit bank too please X_X)

Welcome to Crowfall

Rhast

Some of these suggestions just repeat and I've written my opinion about them elsewhere. However, I really support number one, which I see for the first time. Starting tests exactly on the planned time is important and there are many reasons to do so.

First, if you start tests randomly, I feel like you also don't plan anything. This is a bad impression, because game developers should be able plan things and follow their schedule (may it be source of a slow progression?)

Second, it's already been said. Some people love to be first on the server. Some companies (Apple) use not saying the time in their advantage, so people are in panic that they will not be able to order tomorrow and they buy a product immediately. During tests and generally for Crowfall, this strategy brings no benefits and it could be use just for selling parcels if ever. It is only fair to know the exact time.

Third, it makes people confused. There could be an ask whether the starting times are shown correctly to me if I didn't know.

I think these are the most important ones. Despite, some people may be happy when they encounter servers on early, there is no real reason to open them earlier than on time.

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

There's no reason for them not to start a test early if it gets them more data and the testers usually enjoy having more time to play anyway. 

I don't think it's good to look at it as you being late to the party and behind in some sort of progression.  It is a test after all, not a game. 

You should look at it as people having more time to play and test and that helps ACE develop the framework that will lead to the game called Crowfall.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

If there isnt a beta tag on the game you arent late for the party.  All of the game systems are not in and you only have a rudimentary framework of the game right now.  This is the time of making new friends and alliances, since the guys who are playing will have larger starting EKs and such.  Just like in real life, having a larger number of influential friends than your opponent always comes in handy.

call-me.jpg

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

What I'm saying is, if you think you'll be able to open the servers at 6am but don't want people to hate you if you're late, say 7am, not 4pm. I'd rather they be late from what they announce than early, because that way I'll still be able to come on time. Surely they have a set timeframe in which they aim to open from say 6am to 4pm and I can understand them saying 4pm as the announcement, in case socks hit the fan last minute and you can't do it for the time you gave, but as I said, I'd rather they admit they have issues and be a bit late than start early.

cat_gif__by_rukirin16-d4uqn9u.gif

What I'm saying is, if you think you'll be able to open the servers at 6am but don't want people to hate you if you're late, say 7am, not 4pm. I'd rather they be late from what they announce than early, because that way I'll still be able to come on time. Surely they have a set timeframe in which they aim to open from say 6am to 4pm and I can understand them saying 4pm as the announcement, in case socks hit the fan last minute and you can't do it for the time you gave, but as I said, I'd rather they admit they have issues and be a bit late than start early.

If they run into delays that usually leaves people disappointed.  If they open up ahead of schedule that usually leaves people pleasantly surprised.

The issue here is that you want to start at the same time as others, but this shouldn't be your focus for pre-alpha testing imo.  We aren't competitively racing for progression at this point, we are just testing game systems.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I like some of these, and not that this matters much, but, please no bunnies. As far as I can tell from the lore. The Guinecian's are literally just, up lifted guinepigs that burrow. They have a pretty asexual look by human standards anyway. Honestly not sure how you would make them look female without getting creepy. It would be easy to just say yours was female. Cause again, no gender identifiers. 

I really like the joint party idea though. Would be good to have parties be able to merge on the spot, rather then have to make people drop and reform. 

I really like the joint party idea though. Would be good to have parties be able to merge on the spot, rather then have to make people drop and reform. 

"Expedition"

If you give it a name, it has to be made right? LOL kidding. (maybe)

But it's an idea that fits in the lore. We have groups, and let's work on the premise that we'll have raids (as big as they want to go) but what about the in-between? Expeditions sound good. :)

"Expedition"

If you give it a name, it has to be made right? LOL kidding. (maybe)

But it's an idea that fits in the lore. We have groups, and let's work on the premise that we'll have raids (as big as they want to go) but what about the in-between? Expeditions sound good. :)

You wanna go dude? we are about to fight! 

But no i like that idea for a name. Expedition forces. Get out and get exploring.. also taking everything not nailed down.