Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nivhawk

Make the Parcel Building Tool Available to backers Pre-Launch

Hey folks. 

So if you're like me, you've been thinking an awful lot about the upcoming Eternal Kingdom testing and EK's in general!

Firstly, if you aren't familiar with Eternal kingdoms or parcels, please check out these FAQs and other relevant resources:

Eternal Kingdoms - http://crowfall.com/en/faq/eternal-kingdoms/

Parcel Builder - http://crowfall.com/en/faq/parcelbuilder/

Official video on World Management - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQUNaSlT_o

Crowfall Live! Environment update - https://youtu.be/9pRvhMSjcbc?t=1049

Fly on the Wall Series (Castle Building) - https://youtu.be/2P2GFP_39qU?t=216 (Thanks to KrakkenSmacken for the link!)

Now that we have that out of the way, my suggestion/request/plea is this:

It would be AMAZING if the Kingdom Builder/Parcel Builder tool, that has been described to us as the primary tool for building our EKs, could become available for backers before launch. Furthermore, allow us to save kingdom templates

Here's my reasoning:

-> It would be a great way to reward your backers! There are so many of us that have purchased bundles and/or been involved in the indiegogo venture that will have buildings and parcels at launch. 

-> Allowing us to use the Kingdom Builder tool would let us to plan out and design our EKs pre-launch. So while we wait patiently in between tests and for launch, we can be channeling excitement into EK planning! (Wait.. that might not appeal to everyone :huh: !)

-> If we could save templates from such use, we could then load up our EK, that we have already spent much time and planning developing, when the game goes live  :).

-> Instead of spending who knows how much time setting up the EKs at launch, we can dive right into the main content (campaign worlds!). 

-> Early access to EK builder and ability to create templates would be a really interesting way, and nice carrot (so to speak), to reward backers and allow us nerds to dive into the rabbit hole of EK building!

Now, I'm not saying this should become available TOMORROW, or even next month. Heck, release it a couple weeks/a month before launch (much like BDO did with their character creator), and I think you'd have A LOT of happy backers :D . I mean, I'd send the office cupcakes  :wub: .

As an aside, I think I might have posted this before, but I figured this close to the initial EK testing would probably be a more appropriate time to bring up :) . 

Edited by Nivhawk

Of the Hawk People

As far as I know they did plan to give us access to EK building before the official gamestart? I mean, why shouldn't they? ^^

But I guess it will be part of the tests, not as an external editor as you discribe it.

Saving temlates wouldn't be my primal need, but sounds like a nice option.

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

I absolutely agree. And i've thought about this for a while now, too. But i would even go one step further.

Pre-publish the kingdom builder module in the way Black Desert pre-published it's character creation module.

Why?

Black desert is not my type of game. I just don't like it. And normaly i would just have heard the name, viewed a video or two, said 'crap' and that's it. But everybody likes free things and the character creation was special. It was nice to be able to download the char creation module for free and to play with it. People talked about it and so about the game. Most people i know used this module just for fun. Like trying to create an Avatar of their own face or any other strange Avatar they could use for themselves somewhere else. But, they did talk about the game. And some of them started to play it. This char creation was special enough to get peoples interest - though it didn't have to do anything with the gameplay itself. And so i didn't like the game, i thought this was a cunning PR move.

Now, what could something similar be for crowfall? And in my eyes this is the kingdom/parcel builder module.

Imagine people could download this module pre-release and use it for some weeks. They could freely build their kingdom. They could zoom in and out and look how their kingdom would look like as an 3D environment. (Because of this possibility i asked this question in the building stream last year and Melissa said, this zooming should be possible)

This could create a similar interest in Crowfall. People could play around or for example even make maps they use for let's say pen&paper roleplays. The word would spread and maybe some would stay. And those who are already in can start to build their kingdoms with their existing stronghold parts (blueprint).

That would be amazing.

But alone having the possibility to save designs pre-launch would be cool, too. :)

2W1ZHpA.jpg

I want/need to be able to design strongholds prior to dropping into a particular CW.  There will not be the luxury of time to design as you go.  I really don't care about my EK... but a stronghold design tool could be part and parcel (pun :D ) of a larger planning tool.

Maybe this is another web-based addon for VIP.

rSHxVEY.gif

Not sure about the blueprints.... fairness to newer players and all

And can't imagine they would not release the module before launch....

Totally agree that it would be a great way to draw more people in ..... can't wait for large epic wars with rivals - the more the better:)

When they first brought up sanctuary, they talked about "build a couple of buildings", but that has not shown up yet.

Our first version of the Eternal Kingdom will be a common world where players can log in, drop a few test buildings and then use those buildings for advanced crafting.

I suspect that with next weekends big update, we will get to see that in action.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

When they first brought up sanctuary, they talked about "build a couple of buildings", but that has not shown up yet.

http://crowfall.com/en/news/coming-soon-to-big-world/ 

I suspect that with next weekends big update, we will get to see that in action.

I'd love that (along with the addition of stonemason recipes)

Also, your link doesn't work. [Edit: Fixed]

Edited by Rhast

I'd love that (along with the addition of stonemason recipes)

Also, your link doesn't work.

That was the weirdest thing.

The exact same link, one on selected text, one not, both going to the same location.  One worked, one didn't.

That was the weirdest thing.

The exact same link, one on selected text, one not, both going to the same location.  One worked, one didn't.

Very strange indeed. Whatever changed, it works now.

Having read through that, still very excited for when those changes hit the test servers.

I really like this idea.

Its sort of an advantage, but not really. 

Its just saving time, really.

Since the tools and everything will be available to test at some point this allows us to save what we figured out we like for a easy quick import.

The only draw back (that could be looked as an advantage if the right approach was taken) is that templating will have to be a thing for soft launch. 

But honestly, i think templating and player buying/selling of templating should be a completely legit thing. You could aspire to be a expert designer of keeps and fortifications and sell your designs.

CfWBSig.png

I absolutely agree. And i've thought about this for a while now, too. But i would even go one step further.

Pre-publish the kingdom builder module in the way Black Desert pre-published it's character creation module.

I love the idea and the comparison to BD's character builder.   

Early release also has "value" which helps justify current EK pricing.  

Implement BD's gallery function with zoom and Like functions, then make the weekly favorites playable?

The BDO early use of their character creator was definitely genius- It gave the backers and players already vested into their game something to do ~1 month before release and it was marketed so well that people who didn't have predetermined plans to play were attracted to it- then purchased and played. 

Even more excited to see the introduction to this system soon after watching today's Crowathon :)

(And thank you for the link, Krakken, added to main post)

Of the Hawk People

And I would recommend a mount and blade like map to travel between kingdoms. In the future it would act similar to Eve online's multifunctional map, and also have real political, economic, and strategic gameplay value which completes the "game of thrones" model.

The%20Crowfall%20Economist%20Official%20

I love the idea and the comparison to BD's character builder.  

The BDO early use of their character creator was definitely genius- It gave the backers and players already vested into their game something to do ~1 month before release

I appreciate this. :) But i am trying to think even further.

Now imagine you could use the kingdom builder offline. You wouldn't have to do it online, you could just do in the program on your own computer. You could do it whenever, even in situation when you don't have online access. And ACE wouldn't need to provide server space or whatever is necessary to do it online.

After you are done, you just save it. Then you go online. You throw out an EK message like "in 10 minutes this EK will be reset" and after this time you close the EK, load the new design and thats it. For, it's very unlikely that bigger changes can be made while people are currently in your EK. And if you do it online and just-in-time this is an additional problem that would have to be solved (what to do with those people who are walking on a parcel that will be deleted?). An offline EK tool, combined with a global EK message and a blueprint loading system, could be one step to maybe make it more convenient for players and less expensive for ACE.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg