Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone else noticed whatever they patch on Thursday that this weekend the lack of the amount loss with the take bug this weekend? I’m not saying I was not getting it but it happen a lot less.I was able to make  around 50 to 60 armor and weapons on Saturday with more complete failure/ abandon process then take bugs.

Edited by dinorage

Everyman dies, Not every man truly lives.

I think it depends on the type of materials you use. I don't think I've ever seen anything made with ore as one of the components not failing one time or another. Exception is potions. It might be that there need to be some kind of complexity to the process though, the more material the end product has the higher the risk of the take bug. I have suggested, in feedback, that it might have something to do with a parameter for ore that goes wrong over time.

We haven't been able to reproduce it internally, but we've had reports that people saw it in the snap test last night (damn it!)

Any help you guys can give us in tracking down and eliminating this one is *greatly* appreciated.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Have you considered that it may have to do with inventory interactions?

Players interact with dead player's inventory, loot boxes, NPC inventories all the time.

I think this may be the distinction between your test environment and ours, we need to find, gather, harvest the resources either from loot boxes, NPC, and or other players while you dont really have to. Or at the very least, when you test these things you test them separately, you dont test them as a full loop where you harvest/loot/whatever then craft with those exact same materials. (For obvious, time consuming reasons.)

I would suggest making leather armor using only materials you gain from boars and see what happens. (The inventory interaction happens when you loot their dust in order to harvest them)

If the problem happens at the inventory level when you interface and loot other inventories you may never run in to the issue like we do constantly. 

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

it HAS happened in the past internally, many times, but not in this new build.  We rewrote so much of the underlying inventory system that we were hoping it went away -- and from internal testing, it seemed to.

From a statistical standpoint, it makes sense that you guys will reproduce things much quicker than we will.  With hundreds of players working through every system every time we test, even a bug that only shows up 1% of the time will seem ubiquitous in the live environment, where for our small team it will only seem to occur only sporadically.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

[Rules of Conduct]

I've been trying to repro it internally for the last 2 hours.  haven't seen it.

It could also have to do with server load, in some odd way.  That would certainly explain why we see it more externally.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

[Rules of Conduct]

Yea, server load could certainly be related.

Other things besides server load that might make it less likely to see it internally:

Source of the ingredients. Did you harvest them? Grab them from chests? Loot them from players? Use a dev command to pop them into existence? Might an item that was harvested by one player, moved around in inventory, then looted by another player, be in some way different than a new item you've created with dev commands?

History of the ingredients. Have you moved stuff around in your inventory? Items seem to have a strange "memory" of where they have been in inventory. Loot an item from a player and it won't just appear in your top left inventory slot, it seems like it prefers to go to an inventory slot it has been in before. Is it in any way possible that this "memory" of where an item wants to be in your inventory is inherited by items crafted from it?

IhhQKY6.gif

If it were server load, wouldn't that affect other stuff like looting chests? I've never had any issue with looting a chest. Last night when the server was struggling, it would sometimes take a couple seconds for an item to go from a chest to my inventory, but it always made it.

If it were server load, wouldn't that affect other stuff like looting chests? I've never had any issue with looting a chest. Last night when the server was struggling, it would sometimes take a couple seconds for an item to go from a chest to my inventory, but it always made it.

Not all systems respond to server load the same. I would not rule out server load for the "take bug" simply because server load doesn't seem to cause bugs when grabbing items from chests.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

We haven't been able to reproduce it internally, but we've had reports that people saw it in the snap test last night (damn it!)

Any help you guys can give us in tracking down and eliminating this one is *greatly* appreciated.

Todd

ACE

Do you have any specific steps the testers can follow to help squash this one?  Should we submit time-stamped serial numbers of lost items with the relevant log?  Will screenshots or video accomplish anything?  There's plenty of anecdotal reports of what may cause this, but I think it would help to have a more regimented process.  Help us help you!

Do you have any specific steps the testers can follow to help squash this one?  Should we submit time-stamped serial numbers of lost items with the relevant log?  Will screenshots or video accomplish anything?  There's plenty of anecdotal reports of what may cause this, but I think it would help to have a more regimented process.  Help us help you!

I know Jah records his crafting sometimes. He did say he was going to record all his crafting this weekend and that is probably a good idea for anyone who is able to.

C4sIZDW.gif

Todd

ACE

From another post, in case your only looking here.

Sorry no.  Wish I did.

I can tell you that I had clean inventory, minus the trees I harvested. Had no pots running, had not moved any inventory around, made only parchment paper before the blank, and pulled 16 clear copper from the bank to test with.

So I had not moved a pile of stuff around creating background ghosts.  I failed on the experiment phase as well. Saw another report on the other thread that they got hit with the take bug after an experiment failure.  

Top that off with the fact my guild mates could avoid the bug every time in the last build by simply not experimenting, I would look there first.

EDIT: Does critical failure accidentally and occasionally introduce a negative rounding error in the values, that is not allowed to exist in inventory?  I know some programs will occasionally convert INT values into FLOAT values and introduce a 0.0000000000001 rounding error somewhere along the way. If that error is a -0.000000000001 because of failure/critical failure, and the inventory item value needs to be positive, it could just fail to insert silently.

The reason I suggested looking at the float issue, is that if it is exterminating related, I am guessing that the original state of experimented has a zero value, and that a critical failure also attempts to set a zero value as well, but in setting a new zero value it may not in fact be the same type of zero value being set because it may be part of a calculation like (Value X zero) or (Value - Value) or some other algorithm.

If it is a FLOAT issue, those are not 100% guaranteed to happen every time you run that type of algorithm.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/249467/what-is-a-simple-example-of-floating-point-rounding-error

Edited by KrakkenSmacken