Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Grave digging - Official discussion thread

I would be even more interested to know if we as players can construct Temples in our player cities, and allow us the choice to re-spawn in the wild, or re-spawn at our city.

Not being able to spawn in our city defeats part of the point of them...

Grave Digging follows all the new rules from the harvesting redux.  There is no tiering of tools nor tiering of Grave types.

Unfortunately this was written weeks ago before I had made all those changes. (downside to trying to get ahead on our weekly content drops) We are going to replace those sections of the content drop to avoid confusing people.

There are many more Human nodes in the map than anything else. Also Monster GY's also drop Human parts since Legionnaire is largely human, and elkin and minos are largely Human except for their legs and heads.

I tried an even lower level of bones, cartilage, muscle in one of my early drafts of the system and frankly it crossed too many lines. Where we ended up is a good in between. (thankfully you also missed the "moist" stage of vessel crafting as well)

I will talk more about this system and demo it tomorrow morning on the Live Stream. So be sure to stop by!

Might want to hurry up and fix the article then.

Good change on the Spawn location. Would be a bit clunky IMO if had harvesters and people spawning in the same locations. Harvesters would feel even more like open targets then they already are and will be. Makes sense thematically as well for the vessel reanimation/choosing process to take place in some kind of building ie Temple.

well before the 1st wipe had happen I got to play with Shovels and graves. At the time they had a quicker re-spawn time then all other resource had. Im sure this might change. Im not worry about the Supply and Demand of body parts as there will always be a higher demand for one resource of over others. Like Iron for ore, Oak for wood, Cat hide/bear hide for Leatherworking.

Everyman dies, Not every man truly lives.

Beaten to the "WTF on tiered harvesting tools" question, but it bears repeating.

The move to temples for respawning is cool - I hope they're well spread out and rare.  I am interested in seeing how long it takes to return to combat after a death given the temple respawn mechanics.  In CWs where your vessel isn't able to be taken as loot, how do you get back to your body after death if you don't summon it?  Do you fly to it in Crow form?

You will be able to fly back to the spot you died and resurrect in your avatar to recover all your items left on your body or you will be able to resurrect at the temple after a set amount of time.

http://crowfall.com/en/faq/crowsandvessels/

12. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DIE IN A CAMPAIGN?
The crow leaves the vessel and can’t do much (or see much) until they find a new vessel to possess. In a graveyard, they can:

• Scavenge a new body to create a new avatar
  • Possess a vessel from your import embargo (if you have one), or
  • In some Campaigns, use an altar to pray to the gods to return your fallen vessel (and some number of the item(s) that were lost)
  • Note: This last option is campaign specific!
  • Faction-based rulesets (i.e. God’s Reach, Infected) will allow you to retrieve your vessel and items after a brief period of time (with some decay).

The more difficult rulesets will require you to find and retrieve your vessel and items manually, assuming they haven’t been looted by other players.
Edited by Weebles

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

100x agree with the harvesting sinew, muscle etc. Harvesting a specific body part for a specific creature just seems like a nightmare. 

Something akin to the following:

Blood should only be collectible from animals since that is the first thing to dry up upon death.. Also, Sinew and Hide. Surely take bone out of There. that needs to be in grave digging  

From grave digging you harvest Bone, Skulls, and Mortal essence (Some kind of DNA fragment) Reasoning is Bone decays much more slowly than your other internals and you can find DNA fragments from just about any leftover part of body. 

You combine Skulls, Mortal essence (DNA fragments) an alchemy item, then optional Alchemy stuff  to determine what kind of vessel it's going to be. Human, Myr, Elf, etc. So you combine these things and then you make an Elf head. (The alchemy Item determines species)

You use Bone, Sinew and Hide to create the various body parts except for the torso. These parts are generic. You make a left arm but that left arm could be combined with an elf head or a Myr head. 

Torso you combine Bone, Sinew, Hide AND Mortal essence ( DNA Fragments). Reason behind this is you have to account for Internal organs. We will pretend that "Mortal Essence" are like stem cells. So technically you grew all of the internal organs from Mortal Essence.

You could even use Hide as an optional feature like armor layers. Reasoning is you can grow skin from the stem cell idea/ DNA Fragments / Moral Essence. Though being only fragments the skin doesn't work out correctly leading to poor quality vessels. Adding fresh tough hide the recipe yields quality vessels. 

You have all the body parts, torso and the head which determines the type, combine them with blood and you get your Vessel. 

If you REALLY want to enforce that Bones are harvested from animals you can put some insane number needed to make a torso. So the torso recipe would be: 

100 bone, 10 Sinew, 30 Mortal Essence, 5 Hide(Optional)

Adding organs, Heart, stomach, liver etc, would make things a little to complicated. 

What about 'fresh' harvesting, will that be a thing?

Yeah good question. What about harvesting from just killed Vessels? Or do we just loot the whole Vessel, then chop it up later if we want/need to. Although if its a completed Vessel then likely upgrading it by adding parts to it would be smarter. Anyways sounds like that question might fall more on the crafting side of this not so much the Harvesting side.

Edited by pang

Yeah good question. What about harvesting from just killed Vessels? Or do we just loot the whole Vessel, then chop it up later if we want/need to. Although if its a completed Vessel then likely upgrading it by adding parts to it would be smarter. Anyways sounds like that question might fall more on the crafting side of this not so much the Harvesting side.

Oh my.  Bad 80's scifi flash back.

https://youtu.be/WklPABGo77k?t=4786

Grave Digging follows all the new rules from the harvesting redux.  There is no tiering of tools nor tiering of Grave types.

Unfortunately this was written weeks ago before I had made all those changes. (downside to trying to get ahead on our weekly content drops) We are going to replace those sections of the content drop to avoid confusing people.

There are many more Human nodes in the map than anything else. Also Monster GY's also drop Human parts since Legionnaire is largely human, and elkin and minos are largely Human except for their legs and heads.

I tried an even lower level of bones, cartilage, muscle in one of my early drafts of the system and frankly it crossed too many lines. Where we ended up is a good in between. (thankfully you also missed the "moist" stage of vessel crafting as well)

I will talk more about this system and demo it tomorrow morning on the Live Stream. So be sure to stop by!

Been talking with a few people and we are guessing the issue with smaller parts came around with culture issues that may come up if the game spreads around the world and the development issue that would come back on different game versions for different places around the world. 

Thanks for taking the time to addressing the question, good to know that it was at least explored at one point and dismissed as causing other, more important, issues.

CfWBSig.png

Here are the specific edits to the Grave Digging article: 

Old

Grave Digging is a slightly more advanced form of Harvesting, hence there is no basic form of this tool but instead there is the standard copper-to-gold tool progression that exists in the rest of the harvesting runestones.

New

Grave Digging is a slightly more advanced form of Harvesting, hence there is no basic form of this tool but instead there is the standard tool progression that exists in the rest of the harvesting runestones.

Old

Just like copper-to-gold nodes are tiered for difficulty, human-to-monster graves are tiered the same way. (It is a nice coincidence that there are five kinds of graves; that symmetry wasn’t actually a design goal.) This means you will need to make better tools in order to harvest the more exotic graves.

New

When the harvesting tier concept was removed recently, Grave Digging was also updated to follow the new model of Parcel Rank 1 - 10 dictating how difficult it is to harvest a node. So don't worry about there being five different types of graves!

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I'm curious about the Divine Temples. It says you need to be at one to create a new body. Does this mean it functions as a "Crafting table" and if so, is it the only place to put parts together? It seems like that would create some issues with spawn camping for bodies.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

I'm curious about the Divine Temples. It says you need to be at one to create a new body. Does this mean it functions as a "Crafting table" and if so, is it the only place to put parts together? It seems like that would create some issues with spawn camping for bodies.

Think they mean create a common level Vessel to take over when we die. Crafting Vessels will take place at stations like rest of the other crafts can safely assume.  

A few sentences earlier it says: "Common-quality vessels will be obtainable (effortlessly) at the temples located across the game maps.  Higher-quality vessels are created through the Necromancy crafting skill tree and require harvesting of rare body parts from graveyards scattered across the map."

Edited by pang