Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Degan

City Building In CWs

Thanks for the building stream during the 12 hours of Crowfall.

What I loved:

• You can place structures where you please
  • You can move structures at will (nice in EKs)
  • They talked about giving structures a foundation so they don't look weird on slight hills
  • Awesome that you remembered to get the grass out of the way

Some concerns:

The structures didn't have any build time, I know that would be tedious in a campaign but it might lead to some exploiting in CWs Why bother repairing a wall if you can just drop in a new one?

Moving structures at will in CWs shouldn't be possible.  EKs have zero risk but in a CW if you build a wall the cost (risk) should be sunk and allowing a guild to just pick it up and move it doesn't match with the higher risk of CWs.  edit: It might be a nice QOL, for planning a CW city to be able to place construction sites for buildings and allow them to be moved but once built you are stuck with the decision.

Have fun with permissions.  In Dregs and Shadows hopefully its tied to the TOL in terms of who can build.  Anyone have some good ideas for 12v12 or 3v3?

Edited by Degan

I think Todd mentioned that the building will not be instantaneous and that there will be a partially built state.

I was under the impression this partially built state he mentioned was about the option of finding a preset location with a partially built structure that you can feed mats into to restore it to a working condition. That system might be used for faction CWs (god's reach, whatever), as opposed to the freedom to build anywhere they are aiming for in guild based CWs. 

I was under the impression this partially built state he mentioned was about the option of finding a preset location with a partially built structure that you can feed mats into to restore it to a working condition. That system might be used for faction CWs (god's reach, whatever), as opposed to the freedom to build anywhere they are aiming for in guild based CWs. 

No, i think thats wrong. I may have to rewatch it, but he was specifically mentioning PVP and how he didnt want people to get blocked in with mazes of walls to prevent them from escaping. This implies limits, and a time frame. He was also talking about in shadowbane, fighting amongst walls that were getting built while in battle that would pop up during the fight itself as their built time completed.

I think it would be incredibly lame to walk around with 5 walls and just make yourself a box every time someone attacked you due to instant building

Archetypes I am Interested in: Templar, Legionnaire, Myrmidon, Confessor.
Also, Looking for a Guild, preferably Oceanic but also US West works best for me. (Misery)

Todd definitely talked about not letting people instantly pop up walls in campaign worlds. I wouldn't worry that they are unaware of the issue that could cause.

Are you referring to his comments about a cool down? I got the feel that had more to do with moving things, not a build time.