Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

What changes would you like to see happen to the druid.

The recent nerfs to the druid got my gears turning.

Life Tray

• Remove or decrease the healing debuff on essence burn. Instead essence burn damage will start low-moderate and ramp up. You'd be able to stick it out on the life tray, mostly with the support of your team. Druids would be able to support/heal for longer periods of time.
  • Essence should increase heaing potency. The more essence you have, the more powerful your heals should be. Might conflict with the above idea, so either one would work.
  • Wisp should be a charge up on the move, but at a greatly reduced movement speed.
  • Unnerf healing rain radius.
  • Lower cool down on life tray abilities. Maybe some kind of mechanic where the more essence you have the lower the cool downs.
  • Landing orbs directly on your target (not an easy task) should reward more healing.

Death Tray

• Buff the druids offense capabilities a bit. Right now the game play is kinda lame (especially after the recent nerfs). Throw a bunch of orbs on the ground and hope you can bait idiots into them.
  • Change aura emitter to a ground targeted pulsing area denial aoe. Buff the damage.
  • Either change gaia's wail to an on-the-move charge up or greatly increase the damage. The bear also conflicts with the reticle, so fix that too.
Edited by helix

I like most of these. My comments emphasized

Life Tray

• Remove or decrease the healing debuff on essence burn. Instead essence burn damage will start low-moderate and ramp up. You'd be able to stick it out on the life tray, mostly with the support of your team. Druids would be able to support/heal for longer periods of time. This would be great. Would ameliorate some of the janky tray swapping dance.
  • Essence should increase heaing potency. The more essence you have, the more powerful your heals should be. Might conflict with the above idea, so either one would work. I like this even more. Wanna be an uber-healer? Then take some damage yourself. I think it works perfectly with your first suggestion, actually.
  • Wisp should be a charge up on the move, but at a greatly reduced movement  It's on a long CD already. No need for slow movement. Give that thing AND the Bear cast on the move IMO.
  • Unnerf healing rain radius. Yes plz. Make it 2x current radius.
  • Lower cool down on life tray abilities. Maybe some kind of mechanic where the more essence you have the lower the cool downs. This one I can take or leave.
  • Landing orbs directly on your target (not an easy task) should reward more healing. If it can be done, sure. Maybe give the 3d orb a "splash" heal?

Death Tray

• Buff the druids offense capabilities a bit. Right now the game play is kinda lame (especially after the recent nerfs). Throw a bunch of orbs on the ground and hope you can bait idiots into them. Yep. I'd like a snare on Blight. A good one. Too few snares in the game anyway and they are the least debilitating CC.
  • Change aura emitter to a ground targeted pulsing area denial aoe. Buff the damage. Just buff the damage IMO. The design is actually great IMO.
  • Either change gaia's wail to an on-the-move charge up, or greatly increase the damage. The bear also conflicts with the reticle, so fix that too. Agreed.

• Buff the druids offense capabilities a bit. Right now the game play is kinda lame (especially after the recent nerfs). Throw a bunch of orbs on the ground and hope you can bait idiots into them. Yep. I'd like a snare on Blight. A good one. Too few snares in the game anyway and they are the least debilitating CC.

Maybe even a 25% healing debuff. I mean that would make sense to me seeing as it's a DEATH power.

• Change aura emitter to a ground targeted pulsing area denial aoe. Buff the damage. Just buff the damage IMO. The design is actually great IMO.

It's current implementation isn't awful, it just feels bland to me. We have a ton of single target nukes and practically no persistent ground targeted aoe powers. I think they could do some a bit more interesting with it.

Edited by helix

Maybe even a 25% healing debuff. I mean that would make sense to me seeing as it's a DEATH power.

It's current implementation isn't awful, it just feels bland to me. We have a ton of single target nukes and practically no persistent ground targeted aoe powers. I think they could do some a bit more interesting with it.

I was thinking about how to spice up the ground based effects the other day...

no more pansie minor % effects....

for druid's blight:

- either any healing within the purple circle is entirely disabled - or even better any healing done inside the circle actually DAMAGES instead

for ranger's archer's stake

- disables the use of any movement power or sprinting within the circle effect [with possible minor lingering effect]

but obviously i'm trying to curb the excessive kiting and healing  :P

also barkskin trained only applied increased damage to the druid - NOT to their group mates - who reflected damage based on their own thorn stats - not the druids

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

• Lower cool down on life tray abilities. Maybe some kind of mechanic where the more essence you have the lower the cool downs.

Definitely in favor of this.  The druid healing powers are already limited by essence gain, so there isn't any reason to have a second cap in place in the form of a long cooldown.  If the player bursts right through to 80%, they'd still have to burn off all that essence before they can heal again.

I also think they should add a new power that is fueled by essence burn.  It's nice that a tray swap drops you down to 80% immediately, but where does that essence go?  That stuff runs your powers, so you should be able to harness it.  It doesn't really matter what this power does (cone area heal?  single target nuke?), but it would give you incentive to carry that burn a little longer.  When you swap trays, any percent over 80 should funnel into that power.  Burning up to 100% is already very dangerous, but a sufficiently useful power here could make it worthwhile.

Definitely in favor of this.  The druid healing powers are already limited by essence gain, so there isn't any reason to have a second cap in place in the form of a long cooldown.  If the player bursts right through to 80%, they'd still have to burn off all that essence before they can heal again.

I also think they should add a new power that is fueled by essence burn.  It's nice that a tray swap drops you down to 80% immediately, but where does that essence go?  That stuff runs your powers, so you should be able to harness it.  It doesn't really matter what this power does (cone area heal?  single target nuke?), but it would give you incentive to carry that burn a little longer.  When you swap trays, any percent over 80 should funnel into that power.  Burning up to 100% is already very dangerous, but a sufficiently useful power here could make it worthwhile.

Maybe a moderate pbaoe 10m heal on weapon swap from life to death.

Edited by izkimar

On the topic of orbs being hard to target, if they didn't allow people to run and gun so much it would be a lot easier to heal and fights wouldn't be "kite-across-a-few football-field-fests". Right now they designed the Druid for a TERA style combat, but they're moving the game more towards a GW2/ESO in some ways (bad, IMO). Those two things do not mesh. Skills need to be designed for the amount of movement in combat and type of targeting desired, but they're not doing that and it looks from a viewer's perspective, like a bit of a mess. And it's not just the orbs, either IMO that suffer.

Edited by Leiloni

I'm honestly not a fan of GtAoE. The less that those exist in the game period the better. If you want run and gun combat with lots of GtAoE, you need only look further than GW2 for how bad that turns out in WvW combat. A handful on a few classes is useful, but I don't think it needs to be a large part of the game.

Edited by Leiloni

I should've added this in the original post, but I think the nature's avatar could use some love. I'd reduce the damage buff to 10-15% and change it to a channel pulse heal over time (basically the druid's version of bellow), but have a time limiter so you can't just constantly channel it forever. I'm debating whether it should be a reduced movement speed charge up, or to keep the animation lock version.

The only problem is this would literally be the definition of a firehose LOL.

I also find the swirly telegraph after you cast rain to be pretty damn hard to see on grassy terrain. I'd make that more pronounced.

Bark Skin needs a buff, especially after the recent nerf to thorns. Right now it gives you a 1750 - 3250 barrier, but which is it? Is it random every time you cast it? Is it giving the total amount it can stack up to (and if this is the case, it's way too low). I'd like to see a weapon power co-efficiency attached to this. 1.7-3k is literally nothing in this game. I'd also actually like it to give you "Bark skin" visual  that it did originally, changing the look of your avatar.

Too many buffs and debuffs applied nonchalantly and little to no visuals to display them on your person. You shouldn't have to look at the buff / debuff slider (which is atm, pretty terrible) in order to figure out what's going on with a target.

I'm honestly not a fan of GtAoE. The less that those exist in the game period the better. If you want run and gun combat with lots of GtAoE, you need only look further than GW2 for how bad that turns out in WvW combat. A handful on a few classes is useful, but I don't think it needs to be a large part of the game.

Coming from gw2 I get what you're saying. I think gtaoe can work fine if the vfx fidelity and particle density isn't crazy high OR at leasst fades off. In gw2 there was no particle effect slider, and the particle density didn't decrease as the ability played. 

Edited by helix

Druid has no basic attack and I felt like thorns WAS that basic attack in essence  (IS Druid the only AT without an LMB attack?)...  It should put in back to be on par with other AT basic attacks (Legio lmb can be spammed for about 1k hp per sec).   We have NO control over who gets hit by it regardless, average 800-1k hits WITH 100% bramble (1200-1400 hp with ArchDruid added Bramble).   The proper nerf to thorns would be to the duration or cooldown so thorns cannot be continuously up...   like 4-5 secs up 10 secs down.   The rest of these suggestions are good...   Wail should hit HARD at full channel,...  it is a skill shot with a small hit box on par with a ranger AT channeled shot..   Yes to wisps on the run too and a larger, not smaller, radius for the AOE heal...  the melee heart of the battle moves a lot more now and the cast time makes it a skilled cast as well.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Druid has no basic attack and I felt like thorns WAS that basic attack in essence  (IS Druid the only AT without an LMB attack?).

I mean, they have one. It's just craaaaaap.

Maybe a moderate pbaoe 10m heal on weapon swap from life to death.

Lots of good ideas in this thread. Hope the right folks at ACE read it.

Edited by coolwaters

This is what I would like to see for Druid:

- Remove cooldown from powers. Let essence management take care of the rest. 

- Return aurora emitter damage to original values, around 1,7k - 2k per tick. 

- Either change gaea's wail hitbox to be more consistent, or considerably increase damage and add a stun to it if it's going to be this hard to hit

- Change healing rain to a AoE burst heal instead of HoT.

- Allow wisp to be charged while moving.

- Increase lightning combo damage, greatly increase LMB spark damage. 

Edited by Rikutatis

Been playing a Druid as my go-to non-Knight these past few tests and I agree with most of the points raised.

Where I disagree is in the idea of removing the penalty for having too much essence. I like the concept as I understand it. (It being the essence of death, too much will kill even the wielder). The main reason for that is I like the added layer of gameplay it brings to the druid (read as: challenge).

Rather than traditional healers where you only need to manage your mana and cooldowns, I feel that this essence gain and power swap effectively puts the healer as a whole on cooldown until they can reduce their essence. I like this concept a lot. If only DPS didn't feel so feeble.

Suggestion - Make contain essence / empower more significant. If a Druid uses contain essence, they shouldn't be capping out in essence before it wears off. This would let them stay in heal mode longer.

Been playing a Druid as my go-to non-Knight these past few tests and I agree with most of the points raised.

Where I disagree is in the idea of removing the penalty for having too much essence. I like the concept as I understand it. (It being the essence of death, too much will kill even the wielder). The main reason for that is I like the added layer of gameplay it brings to the druid (read as: challenge).

I don't think I advocated for removing the penalty (at least the damage portion). The whole not being able to heal yourself or have others heal you, thus basically limiting your options in heal mode seems silly to me tho. Essence really only does two things. Limits your healing, forces you to do damage. I think this should be an option tho (at a cost, and requiring effort). I'd also like to see essence do other things (increase the co-efficiency of spells, decrease cool down timers, etc).

I don't think I advocated for removing the penalty (at least the damage portion). The whole not being able to heal yourself or have others heal you, thus basically limiting your options in heal mode seems silly to me tho. Essence really only does two things. Limits your healing, forces you to do damage. I think this should be an option tho (at a cost, and requiring effort). I'd also like to see essence do other things (increase the co-efficiency of spells, decrease cool down timers, etc).

I think if Druid healing is going to be forced into being a time limited thing where they can only heal in bursts before having to do damage, the healing itself should be more bursty. Make the healing they can do more worth the time and it'll make people feel less pressure when switching between damage and healing. Of course tray swap issues would need fixing, but seeing how smooth and instant other games have done that, I'm confident they can make that smooth, too.

People shouldn't be casting an entire tray's worth of healing skills and still not feel satisfied, but forced to switch to damage anyway because their essence is running high. You should be able to accomplish in a few skills whatever the point is, and then feel free to switch to the damage tray for a bit until heals are needed again. The only time you should be going through the entire bar and then some is when the poorly made socks is really hitting the fan and your target(s) are getting super focused. That's when essence will rightfully prevent you from being an OP healer, because if the enemy team is outnumbering or outskilling you that much, they deserve the win. That's where essence should feel really limiting, IMO.

And if they want people to sit in damage tray longer, then make essence loss much slower in damage tray and make some skills either not use any or generate some (probably Spark since it's the basic attack). The idea it seems of essence is to limit healing, not damage. So people wanting or having an opportunity to damage longer can, without having to artificially heal spam, while those needing to get rid of essence to heal more will still have a couple damage skills they can use for that.

I just feel like these two things would make essence management less of a primary focus and will allow more thoughtful choice in gameplay instead of frantically trying to manage this one thing all the time.

I'm not crazy about the idea of making skill mechanics too complicated though with things like amount of essence changing how I heal, etc. A lot of Western games do that and it's just not fun. I want my skills to do the same simple, basic things every single time. If a game's skill tooltip is too long and convoluted it's just annoying. Challenge should be elsewhere. I imagine it also makes balancing a bit difficult.

Edited by Leiloni

I really really don't like the Essence mechanic. The more experienced I become in managing it, the less I like it. It's akin to the difference between driving automatic or manual - doing the latter actually gets you something in return, there is added value to becoming proficient at a thing which may at first seem difficult, but in the case of Essence, it's just an artificial complexity factor which once overcome, does nothing but bother you less or not at all - there is no reward for your trouble or skill.

For reference, here is the official line on Essence:

Druid Power Resources

The Druid does not use resources while in her healing powers tray; instead, every power she uses generates the resource “Essence” for her nuking powers tray. If the Druid ever has more than 80% Essence in her resource pool, she ignites and takes 5% of her maximum life in damage every 3 seconds until she dies. We call this “Essence Burn”. Essence Burn damage cannot be mitigated against. While active, it also renders her unhealable from all sources. (There is pretty much no cheesing this!)

The Druid must either swap to her nuking powers tray and start shunting Essence in the form of Death powers or use her long cooldown C power, “Essence Scram,” in the healing powers tray to reduce all Essence.

The idea behind this is that Druids should balance their time between Life and Death and be able to situationally stay in one mode longer if the situation requires it.

Since we ARE stuck with it, for now at least, I'm going to suggest ways that Essence and it's related mechanics can have value added to them, as opposed to my preferred option which would be it's removal entirely. There are many modifiers to the Essence system which we don't see in action yet due to their being opened up by deep skill training or equipment modifiers which are inactive - I'm talking to you Plate Armor Set Bonus! - so we do not have the whole picture when it comes to our AT Resource, but even in that context, I think doing some or all of the following would be reasonable things to consider:

-Essence Burn State: This is essentially a very bad DoT and Shadowmantle combination - you take damage over time and cannot heal. This risky and vulnerable state is, at the moment at least, normally entered into accidentally. This suggestion would change that, providing a reason to enter into this state with intention, returning something for that risk. Given that the countless Resource Pool modifiers in the game do not benefit Druids in any way whatsoever, this seems fair in terms of balance.

The first way to add value, would be to make Will O Wisp and Healing Rain to do damage to enemies when the casting druid is in the Essence Burn State. Casting these would of course also generate Essence making the 'problem' even worse, so there is a built-in limiting factor there as well. Most likely, only one cast of each of these would be possible given their cooldown timers per Burn State before the druid would be forced to dump Essence or leave the state by dumping Essence. Further balance could be achieved by making these damage everyone, friend or foe, if it were felt necessary or if it were easier in terms of coding.

A second way to add value would be to have the druid's movement speed increase by a small amount when in Essence Burn. This again would be a benefit that would not last very long. It would be available in both trays however, and makes a bit of sense - if I were on fire I would probably run more quickly. :)

A third way would be to cause the druid to function as a light and heat source while in Essence Burn. This would have both practical and novelty aspects, with some of them being surprisingly tactical - human signal lights being one example. 

A fourth way - reduce power cooldowns. This is very straightforward, uses an existing modifier, and would have situational benefit.

In thinking about the Druid and what we can make of this mess they have given us - doesn't have the best heals, nor damage, nor buffs or CC, nor even the best mobility - I considered the official quote about the druid I pasted above and focused on one word: situational - the 2 trays, the Essence mechanic, the support role itself, all require a druid to be situational. Even the non-functioning armor set bonuses, where a lot of our value is currently locked away, are highly situational. Perhaps the druid's strength can be, not being the best at any one thing, but being capable of contributing to any situation in a meaningful way.

In that line of thinking, comes the idea that the druid itself needs to be more flexible, more able to adapt to a situation quickly and effectively. The most significant example of this for a druid is the rapid accumulation or dumping of Essence, so as to be able to switch roles on the fly in a rapid and responsive way, something which right now, is not the case to a degree sufficient to address the needs of fast-based combat. Therefor my final somewhat more dramatic suggested change is in service to what strength and role the devs have seen fit to give us, to help us respond more quickly to a situation...

I propose that just as Life Tray Essence Scram dumps Essence, the Death Tray version should generate Essence. Essence Scram has the longest cooldown of any C in the game, and druid is the only class which cannot generate or pick-up Essence quickly, by not having Resource Pool modifiers or being able to accumulate it en masse through the druid orbs. This would also be just a hyper-version of an existing ability the druid has, to increase the rate at which Essence is generated. If necessary, tie it to the existing requirement Death Tray Essence Scram has for The Power of Death damage buff, that is, the druid must complete the channel entirely without being interrupted so as to gain this benefit - in this case, taking the Essence amount up (or down) instantly to 80% on completion of the channel.

By itself this new ability would significantly impact a druid's ability to respond to a situation, though at a cost. Allow us to play to the strength they are assigning us. In conjunction with the Essence Burn State suggestions listed above, it takes what has been a liability and limiting factor for druid play, and turns it into an opportunity or advantage.

After a lot of thought, that is the single-most effective way I can see to easily and concretely improve druid functionality while working withing the existing design concept. Easy to code, at the very least, it should be tested.

Thoughts?

Edited by Anthrage

I like the essence mechanic, and i like the proposed idea of healing power increasing at higher essence levels.  That would tempt players to play risky so to speak and really allow people who have a firm grasp on the class mechanics to show it.

I am not a big fan of much of the death tray abilities at the moment just because so many are rooted vs the newly introduced classes like myrm and duelist having much more free movement ability. It is hilariously awkward and usually futile trying to kill people with death orb circle and such at the moment.

I like the idea of the eventual healing focused druid path having skills that give a little more direct control over healing.  I would love to see the heal orb left click replaced with a focused beam heal or something for that path.  Not an auto aim heal beam like team fortress, but like a heal version of the death tray left click (single target only though).

Edited by Sekcbaba

I agree with Anthrage regarding Essence being an artificial complexity generator for Druid playstyle. The way Essence works now is just something to mess your play up. It's just something you have to pay attention to. In case you have to heal/buff a lot in your group then your actions: Essence close to 80%? T-5-1-(2-2-2/3/LMB+++++) depending on the situation. That's all the "complexity" it brings - just an annoying obligation. In case you damage a lot it's some other sort of buttons order, I can't say exactly as I don't get in such situations, but probably it's 6 in DT, then T-5-6-6-E-3/4 whatsoever.

I don't think being at max Essence should give any benefit to healing or something. I think there should be just some flexibility added to Essence mechanic, not just "Essence is a resource that makes you take damage when over 80% just because we designed so". What I think should be done:

Light version (just some numbers adjustments):

Life Tray:
Will-o-wisp. Increase heal amount and/or make it castable on move.
Healing rain. Remove casting animation at all. Increase heal amount / make heal instant.

Death Tray:
Aurora Emitter. Increase damage of 3rd cast.
Bear. Boost the damage.
LMB. Remove damage. Add some nice animations, like butterflies, kittens or flowers and sell them in game shop.

C. Reduce god damn cooldown to normal 45 seconds. Why do ACE think that Druid's C is 4x more powerful than Legio's?

Hard version (total rework of some skills):

C.
Death tray:
Instantly spends all your Essence. Damages all nearby enemies depending on the amount of Essence spent. If cast under Essence Burn effect deals bonus damage and blinds nearby enemies. Or any other nice debuff. Or selfbuff for support power/heal amount.

Life tray:
Instantly fills your Essence pool (to 80%). Heals your group depending on the amount of Essence received. If received more than 75% Essence removes all crowd control and movement impairement effects from party members and makes them immune to these effects for a few seconds.

In this case I will probably agree that 45 seconds is too short, but still not 180. Maybe 90-100 would be ok.

Then we need some other skill to play with Essence. We have Death Tray's LMB and Blight, but since LMB is just a basic attack, it will be Blight. So:

Blight becomes a stationary charged spell with quite long charge time. It has 3 stages, each stage takes 2 seconds to charge.
1st stage: spends X Essence. Slows all enemies in the area for 50%.
2nd stage: spends 2X Essence. Debuffs all enemies in the area with 50% reduced heal.
3rd stage: spends 4X Essence. Stuns/roots/knocks down all enemies in the area.

Well, the effects can be different, but the main idea is that you are free to spend more or less Essence, it requires right time and place to cast (cause it's stationary charged) and you can choose the effect you want based on the amount of Essence you spent. That's what I would like to see for Essence mechanic.

And LMB should be normal auto attack, ray-type like Confessor's (come on, it's a lightning, it has to be ray!) and with normal (not melee) range. Let it have less damage than Confessor's and apply a stacking debuff as well, say, +2% incoming damage from Druid's party members. Or 2% reduced movement speed. Or whatever.

Edited by sedside

I actually like that this is not instant, as it allows you to cast it ahead of you, when you are running from a hostile and damaged, so that you can keep moving and heal without stopping. Granted it is not meant as a personal heal and it being instant would have a great pay-off in the group support context, but I do take advantage of it's current behavior in the indicated way.

Light version (just some numbers adjustments):

Life Tray:
Will-o-wisp. Increase heal amount and/or make it castable on move.
Healing rain. Remove casting animation at all. Increase heal amount / make heal instant.