Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Esports possibility and Crowfall

jshiu999

I am a huge fan of esports, it's entertaining, brings players together to one single event, makes you feel amazing when your team wins, and from a business standpoint it also makes a lot revenue for the game and builds a brand.

China and Korea are major consumers of competitive games, and as of right now combat isn't really that appealing compared to other mmorpgs. Crowfall is in the standard third person pov, which isn't really that entertaining and intuitive to watch from an audience's point of view, especially in the heat of combat when there are so many abilities being casted and motions taking place.

Another point is the number of players taking place; too many and it might be confusing to watch, too few and the element of teamwork coordination won't be as apparent; but Crowfall does incorporate the ruleset system which means they can, in theory, recreate and invent different games and game modes. 

Crowfall does require some extension of teamwork coordination, but its strong point is that it introduces an entirely new branch of strategy with the vessel and voxel systems, which is great; but without a combat entertaining and simple to watch or the the tools to help the audience grasp the player's motives and strategies, Crowfall might be turning down an amazing opportunity to shock the esports world. 

So here are my questions:

Will Crowfall excel in esports? Will the vessel/voxel system bring esports to a whole new level? Can Crowfall combat as of right now be sufficient for esports? Should Crowfal even be an esport? What would a Crowfall esports game mode look like? Able to bring items in? Or not? How will players get equipment? How long should the game take place?

Edited by jshiu999

Crowfall does not have the funding/polish/design to be good for esports. 

It is a social pvp mmorpg.  It's not focused on arena based play, and the skill-ceiling isn't remotely high enough to draw an esports type community. 

That being said, it does not need to be an esport, it can be broadcasted on twitch with tons of interesting focus/articles on the political aspect and developments of campaigns and the larger meta.

It can become a game of thrones of gaming where lots of people develop interest in who is doing what and why.

People love drama and crowfall definitely has the potential to create lots of it.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

No, it will not be an esport game - they could create a hunger dome type of mini game however as we tested part of combat about a year ago similar to h1z1 Kotk with teams, but the combat is not good designed with solo player mode. That mode is popular indeed 37k is playing Kotk at the moment, but the main difference it is a fps game, but it could work with sword & magic as well.

Hunger Dome type of game mode was a fun testing stage earlier, but it will take away players from campaigns.

MQfHl7c.png

I imagine the only possible way of making any sort of thing that is even close to esports would be just having a scheduled siege battle with winners of campaigns of the same difficulty in the end of the campaigns. I would love to see that too, but i doubt it would be very interesting to watch since it would likely be chaotic to follow.

It could easily evolve into a e-sports game in a couple years, given the initial launch is successful and the combat is polished out. It could even broaden what e-sports is now by increasing the number of participants per team, from 5-ish to, say 10-20.

Imo it's not something ACE should aim at the launch date though.

Edited by rajah

It could easily evolve into a e-sports game in a couple years, given the initial launch is successful and the combat is polished out. It could even broaden what e-sports is now by increasing the number of participants per team, from 5-ish to, say 10-20.

Imo it's not something ACE should aim at the launch date though.

Nope, T Blair is not the guy for such a task with EvE online skill progression. If you`re going to entertain the twitch crowd with such combat - it needs an unique campaign that last no longer than 1 hour, preferable less time to reach the victory conditions.

Brief; it`s not a moba game @Rajah - and who can afford to pay professional teams and players if the participants extend above 10 players playing this game 24/7 and compete vs other skilled teams in a tournament with money prizes? :)

MQfHl7c.png

I predict that Crowfall will go on E-Sport once everything ironed down and so popular as well.

People said impossible for "Counter-strike, Dota , League of legends.. but it became reality once it was overly populated and not to mention WoW had an e-sport but it did fail due to unbalanced PvP." Also not to forget Guild Wars 2 has E-sport in low- visibility to a large audiences.

Everything is possible if they set their mind right and also if you folks reviewed invest documents for crowfall you will see hints to eSport

e4f9c1ec9d85493ebb8a6ce73629ae28.png

Either way it's possible that we could see Crowfall as eSport title in next few years that's maybe if it has a good hit to it :).

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Nope, T Blair is not the guy for such a task with EvE online skill progression. If you`re going to entertain the twitch crowd with such combat - it needs an unique campaign that last no longer than 1 hour, preferable less time to reach the victory conditions.

Brief; it`s not a moba game @Rajah - and who can afford to pay professional teams and players if the participants extend above 10 players playing this game 24/7 and compete vs other skilled teams in a tournament with money prizes? :)

When the game is successful, and it is obvious people enjoy the look and feel of Crowfall combat, ACE can easily come up with something -esportish.

Edited by rajah

CF will 100% not cater to esports (thank god). The infrastructure is not there, nor is the intent.

I am pretty sure ACE is currently too busy to plan that far ahead, esports is a remote possibility if anything.

Edited by rajah

I'd say there is 0% chance of crowfall becoming a real esport.  But esport as a label is subjective.  To me an esport needs to have consistent money in it enough for people to make a living playing it competitively.  It needs to have major LAN events where top players/teams attend to compete frequently throughout the year. 

Crowfall doesn't need to be an esport, trying to become an esport might actually detract from the rest of their game. 

I'd say there is 0% chance of crowfall becoming a real esport. But esport as a label is subjective. To me an esport needs to have consistent money in it enough for people to make a living playing it competitively. It needs to have major LAN events where top players/teams attend to compete frequently throughout the year.

Crowfall doesn't need to be an esport, trying to become an esport might actually detract from the rest of their game.

You are talking about full time job here not sport, there are many different sports especially non-olympic where making enough for a living is probably not possible. Edited by rajah

You are talking about full time job here not sport, there are many different sports especially non-olympic where making enough for a living is probably not possible.

You're talking about a sport, not esports, they do not have the same connotation. 

Esports was coined for people that frequently attended lan events to compete for money.  The definition was blurred when more casual game companies tried to market aspects of their game as "esports" when really they just meant things like ranked matches or a ladder system of some sort. 

Esports has now evolved to where people have real salaries and sponsorships, it is inefficient to try and group casual pvp or semi-competitive pvp in with that. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

I think you are confusing professional gaming and esports. Pro gaming is always a esport and involves salaries and infrastructure, while esport is a broader category than professional gaming and may or may not involve salaries and infrastructure, the most sucesfull esports titles become a subject of professional gaming.

Edited by rajah

I think you are confusing professional gaming and esports. Pro gaming is always a esport and involves salaries and infrastructure, while esport is a broader category than professional gaming and may or may not involve salaries and infrastructure, the most sucesfull esports titles become a subject of professional gaming.

Nope, esports is professional gaming, the definition is just often blurred by companies trying to promote their game as an esport when it isn't. 

Kind of the same thing as what happened with the definition of mmorpg, it used to be very specific, and then it got blurred to the point where some people even call games like vindictus an mmorpg. 

Anyway to be clear, crowfall will never be an esport (professional competitive game with big tournaments, salaries, sponsors, professional infrastructure).

Nor does it need to be. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

I'm sure a massive throne war is not going to have a place in esports.

However Crowfall reached a stretch goal ($1.6 million) which add a "Championship Tournment System for Faction and Guild".

Perhaps we are going to have esport for something similar to Siege Perilous matches. ;)

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

Nope, esports is professional gaming, the definition is just often blurred by companies trying to promote their game as an esport when it isn't.

Kind of the same thing as what happened with the definition of mmorpg, it used to be very specific, and then it got blurred to the point where some people even call games like vindictus an mmorpg.

Anyway to be clear, crowfall will never be an esport (professional competitive game with big tournaments, salaries, sponsors, professional infrastructure).

Nor does it need to be.

Esports is not professional gaming, years ago competition and tournaments were there, yet somebody seriously playing for a living was exotic. Esports is older and is a broader category than pro gaming.

Neither starcraft not lol neither quake were originally created as esports titles, those games got massive following and only then converted it into staying power via esports.

Given that CF is a huge sucsess, which is possible, esports component also becomes possible.

Edited by rajah

Esports is not professional gaming, years ago competition and tournaments were there, yet somebody seriously playing for a living was exotic. Esports is older and is a broader category than pro gaming.

Neither starcraft not lol neither quake were originally created as esports titles, those games got massive following and only then converted it into staying power via esports.

Given that CF is a huge sucsess, which is possible, esports component also becomes possible.

They weren't created as esports titles, but once people were playing them competitively and consistently at lan events for large payouts and receiving salaries and were able to make a living off of them they became esports. 

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, but crowfall will not become an esport.  I guess time will tell who is right.

They weren't created as esports titles, but once people were playing them competitively and consistently at lan events for large payouts and receiving salaries and were able to make a living off of them they became esports. 

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, but crowfall will not become an esport.  I guess time will tell who is right.

I will be right in either case, because I am saying that currently there is a possibility that Crowfall will eventuallu become a esport, not that there is certainty that Crowfall become a esport.

I've done some competitive, shout-casted esports, and in my opinion, Crowfall in it's currently-conceived form will not translate easily or well into conventional esports. That said, the qualifiers used here - currently-conceived and conventional - are very important. Crowfall's fundamental system and mechanics do allow it to very easily be 'boxed' in such a way that is conducive to an esports framework, while esports itself is going to evolve going forward as everything does - something especially true for a domain that is so intimately-entwined with the technology it is produced on and viewed through.

That is an inevitable but somewhat distant future. For the present or more near future, while traditional esports may be out of reach, streamable competitive gaming is most definitely not. In fact, Crowfall and it's unique content allow for opportunities otherwise unavailable. Crowfall has 3 competitive layers which could be mined for viewable experiences - group PvP (your traditional 5v5 etc), sieging and campaign conflict. These play out at different timescales - a single fight over minutes, a siege over days and a campaign over a period of weeks or months. Each of these has a potential audience once the content is packaged and delivered correctly - even the overall context naturally lends itself to a sports framing, if you think of a Campaign World cycle as a season.

I can envision a webpage with a world-map, like a Twitch channel menu, where highlighted or flashing spots indicate different active areas of the 3 types I outlined. Each could be clicked on, taking you to a viewer's perspective on whatever action was going on at the time, with certain predictable events being casted. The excitement and watchability of a single 5v5 is obvious - and I am setting aside some of the issues that CF presents in a competitive context simply because they either have obvious but as yet unapplied solutions or the issues are such that they can be forgiven in the context within which the game-type occurs. The other 2 types however are just as entertaining and watchable - if you don't think the first few hours or days of a server rush are watchable, then lose my number - and a 3-day siege is not only watchable but has the advantage of context, story and meaning as well, every fight could be crucial, and the outcome matters.

As for a 3-month campaign, if you try to think of it as a season's run of episodes for Game of Thrones, where the micro-choices of class or loadout are blown up to strategic choices in terms of political alliances, siege targets and territorial control, the appeal is obvious. There is no lack of opportunity for finding and focusing on viewable, castable competitive content.

Crowfall's real problem in this area, actually stems from it's greatest and grandest aspect - it is a Throne War Simulator: those 5v5s, the sieges, they all play out in an overall strategic context, where having knowledge of a group, it's nature, the location etc, that you as a player in that world would not have, but can obtain as a viewer...this presents a larger issue than whether you can package or present Crowfall to the esports world. In recent years, those of us who have been around for a long while in this genre have seen things like live-streaming open up new opportunities for information-gathering and quick response which when it comes to a strategic longterm conflict-based MMO like SB or CF, are not just game-informing but game-changers. Operational security becomes a nightmare, or depending on what side you are on, a wet dream. :)

That said, this is something which can be addressed or worked around as well. Bottom line is, Crowfall is not a barren wasteland in terms of it's esports potential. It is more like a thick, steamy jungle...where you might have to pave some of it, or clearcut a little and send in drones, to set the stage you need and get what you want. It is do-able though. With a little effort and imagination, it is absolutely, definitely do-able. 

Edited by Anthrage