Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jusadbellum

Feasibility and Desirability of Officially Sanctioned Chatbots

When I played Anarchy Online and Eve, one of the things I liked most about it was that folks had set up bots that could perform various functions like making item links, storing raid points, taking notes on corporation (guild equivalent) members, respond to certain phrases in official channels, and more. This was in the days before the likes of projects like Hubot. Nowadays, with projects like Hubot, we have the potential to integrate the good kind of bots into our games, making them that much more fun.

I'd like to see the ability to, with a paid account, access a limited set of chat features and perhaps an API (e.g. if ACE made an item database publicly available on the main site). Making it a paid feature does two very important things:

1. Disincentivizes abuse: if your bot gets banned for bad behavior, you're out of an account and have to pay for another set up fee (whether that's another copy of the game or some other purchase mechanism that ACE decides on).

2. Adds another, albeit small, revenue stream that I'm sure many guilds and/or alliances would gladly pay for the functionality it would bring.

Another benefit would be that it's a project that can bring together the community, making it possible for Guilds and Alliances to coordinate in ways that they would not otherwise be able to absent such tools.

If ACE officially blesses efforts such as this, then they can lay down the ground rules and give the community official guidance as to what's cool and not cool. It also gives them the opportunity to make official APIs, secure things with auth tokens, rate limits, etc. and generally just make the bots' behavior more site-friendly. Heck, they could even put out an official Hubot-Crowfall module that plays well with the Crowfall APIs and chat, making it that much easier for the Crowfall community's players-who-are-also-programmers to integrate. :)

What say you, Crows and ACE Devs? Do you think this a good idea, great idea, or not-so-great idea?

Well not a decision maker by any means, but in my opinion, i'd be ok with it as long as it was an EK only thing. Maybe if you have certain roles in an EK you can automate messages or such?

In a campaign I could see that being abused or making the chat just seem weird.

Do not wish it is easier, wish you were better.

A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

Well not a decision maker by any means, but in my opinion, i'd be ok with it as long as it was an EK only thing. Maybe if you have certain roles in an EK you can automate messages or such?

In a campaign I could see that being abused or making the chat just seem weird.

Sorry for not being more clear. My idea of a limited feature set would include not giving chatbots access to general chat. I only want them to have access to private channels like Guild chat or custom server/playfield channels. This would be like unto the functionality of Anarchy Online chatbots, some of which are still operational and used to coordinate raids and loot.

Edited by jusadbellum

Selling Ethereal dust!!!! Only 2.99$/10,000!!! MP for transaction.

That is what I am afraid of when it comes to chat bots.

That is what I am afraid of when it comes to chat bots.

PoE  had this issue at first.

They created a stash tab that you could put your items in and list for a price, then they opened up a web API that allowed websites to query all of these. 

Created a real economy out of the currency like over night.

CfWBSig.png