Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Necessary Champion Changes

ClockworkOrange

Oh Champion my Champion....You are awful. It is sad and it hurts me to see you like this. The Champion is a Glass Cannon. The problem is his Cannon does not shoot so he has to hit people with it and everyone can run from it. Every class having a RMB dash plus C immunity makes it very easy to run from melee champs currently (a different issue, but plays into the Champions problem).

The easiest fix I see for the champion is slightly changing 1 and his 5 and adding additional rage generation.

Champion 1- The cooldown is way too long. Think about it, if you use this ability to get to an enemy, they just dash away and they get their dashes back much faster than you get your 1 ability back so it is basically always useless to use this skill as an opener.

Fix: Shorten the cooldown time and add a knockdown/root AOE to the landing of both 1 jumps. It isn't easy to jump right on someone, reward the Champion for doing so with CC and some minor dmg. Often I land on someone currently and the skill doesn't even do damage.

Champion 5- Compare this ability to the Knight's pull and the Myrms net. You will quickly notice it sucks in comparison. The projectile is extremely slow and the CC is pretty awful. Its harder to land than both the Knight and Myrms and has a smaller effect (which makes it obvious its underpowered). Speed up the projectile speed/give it better CC. If you keep it a slow, maybe it a 90% slow or switch it to a root.

Rage Generation- This is far too slow in my opinion. You could flat out increase this or add other ways to build rage. You basically have to get the Champion to full rage when starting a fight to even have a chance at winning. Once you hit 0 Rage, it becomes a boring LMB spam fight where you occasionally get enough rage to start a combo, not finish it.

The Champion actually has decent damage. The problem is the mobility is so poorly made socksty and he is so squishy, the moment you get distanced in a fight you just wait for your death. If we keep the champion this squishy, he needs a huge advantage to CC/Mobility to ensure he is doing damage while he is alive. Right now he just chases people while dying and has little effect on the fight. The champions saving grace in small fights is his passive regen ability. It relies heavily on being in the right place at the right time and being able to LOS people. The champion in an open field is completely useless.

The champion #1 is indeed waaaay to long of a cooldown.

However, i also think it should be a targeted leap. How awesome would it be to play leap frog to get to a target behind their tank? Myrm already has a charge himself, make it similar to this, except its better because the champion makes noises and leaps.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

I haven't yet invested any significant time into the Champion AT but I appreciate the honest look at its weaknesses and strengths. Something similar that is being done with the Knight (nearly a dead horse by now, as I see).

Would you trade some of the (many) CCs for better mitigation? How about more reliable and respectable damage?

It seems to me that the Champion is a heavy CC AT, though as I recall it sits in the DPS category instead of support.

I haven't yet invested any significant time into the Champion AT but I appreciate the honest look at its weaknesses and strengths. Something similar that is being done with the Knight (nearly a dead horse by now, as I see).

Would you trade some of the (many) CCs for better mitigation? How about more reliable and respectable damage?

It seems to me that the Champion is a heavy CC AT, though as I recall it sits in the DPS category instead of support.

Honesty damage isn't the problem, even CC isn't because of his great utility. Mobility is his biggest issue right now; survivability is a close 2nd. Since the two are so closely tied together tho it would be interesting to see how a buff to one would affect the other. When I played Champion on SP, I found myself constantly having to dip in and out of the fight unless I had a bunch of legionnaires behind me keeping me up. I'd like a bit more sustain on the champion.

Damage isn't really the problem with Champion. As Helix mentioned below it is more his mobility issue combined with his squishiness which makes him feel lacking. In a fight you often feel like you can't get to your target and die fast while slowly running at them. At least the Knight can just block up when he is too far from his opponent. The Champion just eats it.

I don't think the Champion is far off from being good. I actually like the dip in and dip out mechanic that his passive creates. It makes for highly mobile fast paced gameplay which I enjoy and you have to use your surroundings effectively to LOS enemies to enter the "passive regen". He just needs more mobility to be able to do this effectively and his rage building could get a boost so he isn't so LMB reliant.

Honesty damage isn't the problem, even CC isn't because of his great utility. Mobility is his biggest issue right now; survivability is a close 2nd. Since the two are so closely tied together tho it would be interesting to see how a buff to one would affect the other. When I played Champion on SP, I found myself constantly having to dip in and out of the fight unless I had a bunch of legionnaires behind me keeping me up. I'd like a bit more sustain on the champion.

Pretty mutch this.

When running with a group of people the champion is on of the slowest and that as melee dps. Aside the duelist all other archtypes have a faster movement speed then him.

This in iself would be ok if not for the fact that he needs to be faster then any other archtype to have his pasiv work.

I remember in hungerdome when the cooldown of the 1 ability was still 6 seconds.

I would jump into the enemy start doing dmg and when on 40% heal i would jump out and double dodge role to get further way. I would repeat double jumping double dodging until my health was on 50% again. ( the champ only has 40k health so 20k health is 50% that is not mutch).

It was hard to fight that way. A small mistake in the timing to get away from the enemy and i would die or a smart cc move from the enemy.

In that state the champ was viable DPS good for flanking or hit and run taktics but still sucked at frontline combat. 

There are allready dozens of threads about the balancing changes needet on the champ and how a cerain other archtype ( *cough* myrmadon *cough*) is the better champion and knight combined.

I belive artcraft will not do any balancing on these classes until all other archtypes are released.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us now!