Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is in the middle of an EK?

Anthrage

So, the recent EK-building stuff from the livestream was awesome. Has me very excited about them. Does bring to mind a few questions though:

-What is in middle parcel/cell of a new EK?
-On what parcel do visitors enter the EK?

-Is the 3x3 cell area all EKs start with wild, or does it contain anything?

-Can parcels be rotated?

-Do purchased parcels/crafted automatically expand the cell-size of your EK, or do you need to acquire the cells as well?

Many more questions, but these are the big ones. :)

Edited by Anthrage

As with all the details, we don't know exactely -- and things are bound to be further changed in the future. Just like Todd mentioned several times in the last live stream (once more) he don't like to give specific answers, even if they have a pretty good idea how things most probably will be ... simply to prevent to be nailed on these details. The same is true for FAQ informations that hasn't been updated yet, even if things have changed tremendously, because some of the details are not ready to be announced yet.

So the final truth is, i don't know. But i spent a lot of time to understand the underlaying concept and up to now my guesses turned out to be good enough to meet the general idea well enough. Since we probably won't get an official answer until there will be official news, i'll try to share my best guesses regarding your questions. 

-What is in middle parcel/cell of a new EK?

We only now that the original plan was to provide every kingdom with some small basic land to start with. And that the sorrounding 'empty' cells will somehow be impassable (through impassable forest or oceans). It would make sense that the basic starter land will be include a spawn point for visitors and space that allows us to place a basic house (but no stronghold).

-On what parcel do visitors enter the EK?

ACE tries to reuse systems as often as possible -- especially when it comes to things they need for the CW's and that can be reused for the less important EK's. Like they said, it just saves time and money. The last 12h stream did show some of the newly implemented or underlaying systems, like the the diorama system or the tempel as a spawn location that is part of this system.

So we haven't got any information about EK spawning up to now, based on the mentioned informations i would assume that there will be a basic temple in every starter EK and that we probably will be able to relocate it (the diorama) within the EK or add additional temples so visitors can choose wich temple to use to spawn in a specific EK. People who spawn will have to choose a vessel, just like they have to do in CW's.

-Is the 3x3 cell area all EKs start with wild, or does it contain anything?

I would guess that those basic parcels will be some kind of grasland that can be used to to place a temple and a basic house and maybe even to harvest some basic resources to get started.

The 3x3 starter area is a very old information that is still in the FAQ but belongs to the time long before the cell adjustments. Some parts of this EK FAQ are completely outdated and it seems to be a lot more reasonable to just understand it as some kind of general idea between the lines. The old information was that a cell would be 200x200 meter and a kingdom would be 25x25 cells (5x5km). The current measures are 256x256 meter for a cell and 20x20 cells for a kingdom (5.125x5.125km). The 3x3 starter area information belongs to the time of the old measures. As we can see, the necessary adjustments increased the cell size, but ACE also decreased the number of cells. So i think that the 3x3 cell starter area is not carved in stone. It was meant to say that starter EK's should provided an area of about 600x600 meters. I wouldn't bet on it staying 3x3. Something like 2x2+1 sound much more likely. But who knows.

The old FAQ speaks about 'wild land' only in the meaning of impassable land that will automatically exist on cells that haven't been occupied by a parcel. The starter are have to be parcels. And we have to have the opportunity to relocate these parcels within the EK. Anything else doesn't make any sense.

-Can parcels be rotated?

Yes, they can.

-Do purchased parcels/crafted automatically expand the cell-size of your EK, or do you need to acquire the cells as well?

No, they don't. But it doesn't matter. Because you don't neither.

The cell size of an EK is 20x20 cells. If you do own a parcel, you should be able to place it anywhere within this grid in your EK (or in other peoples EK if you have noble rights). You don't have to unlock cells to do so. It is just that if there is no parcel placed on a cell, the cell is simply filled by impassable forest or ocean.

Edited by Kraahk

Having read your many posts on the subject and seen all the time and effort you have put into understanding the system, I consider you to be the leading authority in this area, second only to the devs. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and sharing your knowledge, thank-you.

Hopefully EK designers/owners will be able to chose the location of the entry point for visitors, be it a temple or portal of some kind, so they can customize and control the experience guests have when traveling from said point to whatever central holding that exists, if one has elected to have such an arrangement. In many respects it reminds me of Stargate, where you enter the gate on one world and exit it on another, with the area surrounding a gate being vastly different in each case.

Being able to set the Allow PvP & Allow Destruction options at the Region level or lower will open up some interesting and amazing gameplay opportunities...one way for a dedicated crafter who does not campaign to acquire higher tier resource or raw materials might be by constructing an elaborate EK with said options set to Allow, enticing people to come into an EK, perhaps bringing some of these resources with them. It's a bit like the old Dungeon Keeper game, and I can see some people using their EKs in unanticipated ways. :)

As with all the details, we don't know exactely -- and things are bound to be further changed in the future. Just like Todd mentioned several times in the last live stream (once more) he don't like to give specific answers, even if they have a pretty good idea how things most probably will be ... simply to prevent to be nailed on these details. The same is true for FAQ informations that hasn't been updated yet, even if things have changed tremendously, because some of the details are not ready to be announced yet.

So the final truth is, i don't know. But i spent a lot of time to understand the underlaying concept and up to now my guesses turned out to be good enough to meet the general idea well enough. Since we probably won't get an official answer until there will be official news, i'll try to share my best guesses regarding your questions. 

I don't know if you will be forced to have any parcels in the center of your EK.  It's a grid so I don't see any reason why you couldn't have your stronghold and town in a corner rather than the center since everything can be moved around.  Granted it's all dependent on the devs vision.

As far as where people enter the EK, I think there will be some kind of portal structure or something where people can enter and exit.  If you check back to the original kickstarter video there was a concept art of a ring of portals leading to different worlds, hopefully this is something that you can place at will (or maybe it's part of your default starter parcel) so that you can have it at a desirable location.  for example right at the center of your marketplace if you are looking to build a mercantile kingdom.

The devs were throwing around the idea of allowing people to voluntarily invade each others kingdoms or even have special campaigns where people are able to import their castles into the campaign for some epic wars.  Granted, if every player brought a castle it would get a bit crowded with hundreds of those things scattered all over the place.