Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courant101

The eventuality of ACE being acquired

"The shares being offered are preferred shares, which means that you are buying a portion of the company's potential. The most likely scenario is that this potential could be realized through a liquidity event, such as an acquisition or an IPO (initial public offering)."

"The most likely liquidity event in our space and for independent developers, however, is acquisition. It's not unreasonable to believe that, if our game is a hit, we will have any number of suitors that would be interested in acquiring ArtCraft."

"Our goal is to build value, and to ensure that our shareholders (which includes the founders, the employees and our previous investors, too!) have a way to "cash in" on that value. There are three ways that this can happen: the Board could elect to pay dividends, our company could be acquired, and/or through an initial public offering (IPO). In my experience, "creating tremendous value" is the challenge. If you create something valuable, exit opportunities will often present themselves."

"There are three scenarios where you (and we) will see a return on our investment: the Board may elect to pay dividends in the future, we could be acquired by another company, and/or we could do an initial public offering (IPO)."

"You make an ROI the same way that we (the founders, the employees and the other preferred investors) do; we do the best we can to build tremendous value and then we realize that value through dividends, acquisition or initial public offering (IPO)."

https://app.microventures.com/crowdfunding/artcraft-entertainment?referral_code=indiegogo

"Every accredited investor, the first thing they ask is What is your exit strategy [for your company]? [...] We're never going to make money out of this company unless our investors make up money out of the company. How most game companies exit? Most game companies eventually get bought by some bigger fish."

"This is my fourth start-up. My first company I've ever did, I got a piece of advice from the CEO at the time, because I immediately, as a young buck, I was like  "I want to make money, what's our exit, what's our exit?" And he  told me: "Your job as an entrepreneur is not to think about your exit. Your job is to think about how to create a company that is incredibly valuable, because if you do that exit opportunities will present themselves." If you make something really valuable, you'll find a way to get money out of it. So I kinda always carried out with me."

"The other adage that I think is very good is: Companies are bought, they're not sold. If any start-up goes looking for a buyer, by definition they are going to get a worse deal than if they're "not for sale" and somebody calls and says "I want to buy you" and they say "I'm sorry, we're not for sale". That's the negotiation position you want to be in, to be in a position where you are "not for sale" because then, for somebody to change your mind, they've to throw a stupid number at you."

"We're in this to eventually see a big win, we're just not in a hurry, we want the biggest win possible at the best point."

"We know what our business is worth today, somebody comes in and offers twice what it is worth [...] if we go wow, that's taking a year off the table, or two years off the table, what the business would be worth then, we would be crazy not to take the money. We are entrepreneurs, we're looking at all the time."

"Somebody comes in and wants to offer stupid money [...] they may be able to create more value than we can."

"[Q: Does the players have any interest in your cashing in early and how does that impact on development?]" "No [...] It's highly unlikely that it's going to happen early." "To be more specific, the numbers don't make sense until post launch."

"We care about the players and we want the players to have the right things. We wouldn't do a deal, unless we thought it would be good for the brand."

"Chain of events: You've got the vision that we sold, you've got an audience now that is expecting this vision and bought on that vision, if somebody was to come in and buy us, and immediately starts to betray that vision, those players are gone, which means what they bought has no value, which means nobody wins. So that full chain of events would be terrible, I have no interest in going down that path."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67sVTxx_Iz8

Edited by courant101

If someone buys ACE then that would be a good thing for us the players. It means that Crowfall is a huge success.

Companies get bought all the time. If a company like Blizzard can be bought at their peak (in my opinion) then anything is possible.

If someone buys ACE then that would be a good thing for us the players. It means that Crowfall is a huge success.

Companies get bought all the time. If a company like Blizzard can be bought at their peak (in my opinion) then anything is possible.

It wouldn't necessarily be a good thing long term.  When you get acquired it's usually because some businessmen see an opportunity to squeeze more money out of your company, this usually ends with money-driven changes. 

Blizzard, for example, got much more aggressive with their monetization once Activision got hold of them.  Now they basically make fast food games.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

"We care about the players and we want the players to have the right things. We wouldn't do a deal, unless we thought it would be good for the brand."

Important piece of the puzzle there.

Also missed where they were approached by several different companies wanting to buy the brand but their vision was not inline and they said no.

CfWBSig.png

Let ACE get sold, I am not interested into them anymore anyway.

I decided already for myself to only give money to Star Citizen from now.

No games are getting bought anymore. Only in sale for 5 dollar.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Important piece of the puzzle there.

Also missed where they were approached by several different companies wanting to buy the brand but their vision was not inline and they said no.

In the interview they've said that they received lucrative offers that were declined due to the potential of hindering the original vision they wanted to create.

From what I've understood they do not specify if it was an investment, distribution, acquisition or other kind of deal. I haven't missed that part, but until we get a confirmation the offer they declined was to "buy the brand", I think it's not indicative of how they would react to such exit opportunity.

Edited by courant101

In the interview they've said that they received lucrative offers that were declined due to the potential of hindering the original vision they wanted to create.

From what I've understood they do not specify if it was an investment, distribution, acquisition or other kind of deal. I haven't missed that part, but until we get a confirmation the offer they declined was to "buy the brand", I think it's not indicative of how they would react to such exit opportunity.

Fair enough. :)

CfWBSig.png

It's also important to note that if JTC and GW believe in the product they are making, they might deem themselves better off by not selling it now because it can become much more valuable later.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

In pretty much every time I've heard them say "sell", they have also said "dividends" are an option as well.

Something tells me they have a mental number for personal "success", and if they can hit that without selling, and continue to reap residual income from dividends, they would over selling out to a company that would just squeeze every last $$$ out of the players.

It's also important to note that if JTC and GW believe in the product they are making, they might deem themselves better off by not selling it now because it can become much more valuable later.

I agree, and they mention something similar in the interview. On the other hand, they also say: "Somebody comes in and wants to offer stupid money [...] because they may be able to create more value than we can." "That's where it actually makes sense. If somebody comes in and offers you [5 extra business ?] that seems crazy for us but the reason is if they have marketing muscles and a distribution network and the ability to reach players, that they can get 10x what we're sitting on, then it's a really smart play for them and smart play for us."

I realize you have some sort of grudge against game companies, but how you can have a beef against ACE while supporting CIG is beyond me.

I realize you have some sort of grudge against game companies, but how you can have a beef against ACE while supporting CIG is beyond me.

I don't understand the motivation required to jump onto a company's forums you don't care for anymore, just to throw poorly made socks around.

I would ask if he was Derek Smart, but the support of CIG precludes that possibility.

ACE will likely sell out eventually. Can't hold it against them it's a business. They've built a vision that clearly can excite grassroots fundraising and big money types will see that as evidence of potential significant returns.

Best we can hope for is that the stupid large buyout doesn't come until after JTC has had a chance to realize the basic vision of Crowfall.

If they eventually get to the point they can make LOTS of money on their vision thats a win win to me. Means first of all the game is good, great for us the players. The Devs get rewarded for their vision and effort, good for them. If the game/company is worthy of buying that also means the concept works and other games will be made like it. Another good thing for us players.

Players want good games to play and devs want to be rewarded for their work. Win win.

If they eventually get to the point they can make LOTS of money on their vision thats a win win to me. Means first of all the game is good, great for us the players. The Devs get rewarded for their vision and effort, good for them. If the game/company is worthy of buying that also means the concept works and other games will be made like it. Another good thing for us players.

Players want good games to play and devs want to be rewarded for their work. Win win.

Yep, Im not sure why some people cant understand this, we live in a capitalist world. This is how capitalism works.

Archetypes I am Interested in: Templar, Legionnaire, Myrmidon, Confessor.
Also, Looking for a Guild, preferably Oceanic but also US West works best for me. (Misery)

It may be seen as a positive thing for the actual backers and fans of Crowfall, I think it really depends on which company would acquire the studio and what are their intentions. If they want to develop and operate Crowfall according to the original vision pitched by Todd and Gordon and fulfill the promises ACE has made over the last two years, then it may indeed be something some people find positive.

They aren't getting acquired any time soon, if ever. Let them make the game, let them build the brand and raise the value of the company, then we'll see what happens.

How I've understood the Indiegogo comments and what was said subsequently in the interview is that if they get the right price, they'll sell. So we don't really know when or if it's going to happen. We can surely speculate that nobody is interested in throwing that kind of money now.

I still have hope for Crowfall, ACE have shown times and times again that they're fully committed to its success and that they want to do the things right (constant communication with backers, beyond excellent customer service (Tyrantic :P), fulfillment of many of their promises, development generally in accordance with their original vision, EU partnership with a distributor that seems to care about Crowfall (rather than picking the one just offering big $$$), etc.). They seem to do absolutely all they can to make Crowfall as great as possible. There were bumps on the road, lot of them, MMO development is extremely challenging, but they keep going and seem to be willing to complete the project they've started even if, from what I've seen, it's a lot more difficult and costly than they originally planned.

In pretty much every time I've heard them say "sell", they have also said "dividends" are an option as well.

Something tells me they have a mental number for personal "success", and if they can hit that without selling, and continue to reap residual income from dividends, they would over selling out to a company that would just squeeze every last $$$ out of the players.

Yes that's also what I believe, and I hope it's still how they see things too.

Common sense? I'm missing the point of this.

It may indeed be a lack of common sense on my side, I was under the impression that Todd and Gordon were committed to keep control over the studio and the "vision" of Crowfall for a long long time. That's what I had understood from their communications. It's only recently (Indiegogo comments) that I've seen them talk about the eventuality of being acquired, and it seems they have been talking about that a lot in the last two months, so my alarm bell ringed.  :)

Edited by courant101