Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courant101

The eventuality of ACE being acquired

please show me my insulting posts, which you interpret as an insult.

Said the guy with Donald Trump as his president.

Maybe this is meant to be a compliment, my guess is not.

While I share some of your concerns with the amount/type of communication we receive and current state of development (on our end), you aren't helping in any way.

If ACE had more to show, they'd show us or will when they are ready. Saying they should have more, doesn't make it magically happen.

I expect the game to be finished right now.......nope still not finished.

It should be obvious that things haven't gone as smoothly as predicted and development will continue for a long while. How long is unknown, but comparing projects or pointing to past plans doesn't change anything.

That's what we discussed some time ago.

I am very very much for that solution.

Why giving people in crowdfunding so much money always, when most often what they do is take the money and run.

Why dont we found our own company, instead of trusting and hoping always for others to make the game we want.

So we have much more security, faith, control and influence. We would know that the company wouldnt get bought or so.

And we could hire the devs we want and make the games we want.

Why dont we all crowdfund such a company to make great games?

The gaming industry is the biggest crowdfunding industry.

So why still relying on others and get disappointed if we can act ourselves?

Lets crowdfund a crowdfunding company for making crowdfunded games!   :)

You gamers sure a funny weird crowd.

That could be an interesting thing to try, not sure that the chance to get a great game in the end would be so high though. 100 or 1,000 different people who do not necessarily have any experience in game development nor the same opinion about what makes a game great, deciding to lead a sizeable and complex project like a MMO over several years, what can possibly go wrong?  :P

On the other end, if we did buy an existing studio (like ACE), one that already aims to create the game that a decent amount of backers want to play, then at least we have more chance to get the game we all want I believe, and maybe even get a return on the investment when it succeeds. Let's say the current investors want to keep the shares they already own and the valuation of the studio is around $20 million, well we would need to find maybe 300 backers who want to invest ~$5K, (1,5M), 500 x ~$1K (500K), 1K x $500 (500K), 10K x $250 (2M), 20,000 x $150 (3M) and the rest in smaller pledges. I'm aware that it is more than the triple of the total pledges for CF, but it's not unreasonable imo to think that people would be willing to give more money if they own a part of a company they love (just that indiegogo campaign that received very little media attention collected more than $600K and there was no guarantee that the investors would ever see their money again). Also if we take a look at a relatively small crowdfunded game like Shroud of the Avatar, they already have over $10 million in backers' pledge, so that amount isn't impossible to obtain.

Regarding the founders of some projects taking the money and running away with it, I haven't seen a studio that relies on crowdfunding doing that yet. I know a few crowdfunded games that will never see the light of the day, but it's not because of fraudulent actions (afaik) but rather because of the lack of funding or some major issues that made it difficult for the team to continue working on the project.

That could be an interesting thing to try, not sure that the chance to get a great game in the end would be so high though. 100 or 1,000 different people who do not necessarily have any experience in game development nor the same opinion about what makes a game great, deciding to lead a sizeable and complex project like a MMO over several years, what can possibly go wrong?  :P

On the other end, if we did buy an existing studio (like ACE), one that already aims to create the game that a decent amount of backers want to play, then at least we have more chance to get the game we all want I believe, and maybe even get a return on the investment when it succeeds. Let's say the current investors want to keep the shares they already own and the valuation of the studio is around $20 million, well we would need to find maybe 300 backers who want to invest ~$5K, (1,5M), 500 x ~$1K (500K), 1K x $500 (500K), 10K x $250 (2M), 20,000 x $150 (3M) and the rest in smaller pledges. I'm aware that it is more than the triple of the total pledges for CF, but it's not unreasonable imo to think that people would be willing to give more money if they own a part of a company they love (just that indiegogo campaign that received very little media attention collected more than $600K and there was no guarantee that the investors would ever see their money again). Also if we take a look at a relatively small crowdfunded game like Shroud of the Avatar, they already have over $10 million in backers' pledge, so that amount isn't impossible to obtain.

Regarding the founders of some projects taking the money and running away with it, I haven't seen a studio that relies on crowdfunding doing that yet. I know a few crowdfunded games that will never see the light of the day, but it's not because of fraudulent actions (afaik) but rather because of the lack of funding or some major issues that made it difficult for the team to continue working on the project.

The gaming industry is by far the largest industry for crowdfunding.

And I dont see the slightest reason why we should take the risks and the ones receiving the money getting the profit or run away with the money.

So lets make our own crowdfunded company for making video games.

We have been fooled long enough I think.

All these early access titles, which never come out of early access.

Lets found an honest game company, which will create great games.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

It's okay to debate and theory craft, but this is a friendly reminder to stay on topic and avoid personal attacks. If the reports about this thread continue, I will lock it. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I dont see the slightest reason why we should take the risks and the ones receiving the money getting the profit or run away with the money.

If you don't like the risk:reward for crowdfunding you're absolutely free to wait for retail release and buy a box like anyone else. Crowdfunding anything is a gamble, but nobody's forcing you to make a bet.

Lets found an honest game company, which will create great games.

Putting another game on kickstarter will not solve the problem of kickstarter games being a risk. Also, there are plenty of honest game companies making great games on kickstarter; it's just not all of them.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

If you don't like the risk:reward for crowdfunding you're absolutely free to wait for retail release and buy a box like anyone else. Crowdfunding anything is a gamble, but nobody's forcing you to make a bet.

Putting another game on kickstarter will not solve the problem of kickstarter games being a risk. Also, there are plenty of honest game companies making great games on kickstarter; it's just not all of them.

These are no valid reason for not trying a different kind of approach.

Let me know when your kickstarter is up. I'll check it out.

I would love to see an EverQuest Next kickstarter.

Firefall already got one or two.

Edited by Urahara

I would love to see an EverQuest Next kickstarter.

Firefall already got one or two.

EQ3 is happening with Pantheon, even though it failed at KS. EQN was fueled by rainbows and unicorns, would still like to see some of the proposed features end up in a game.