Handies

Devs - Group size

Any thoughts on size going into launch? 

I vote 10. 

Don't raise it at all unless you change the ways skills work. Think 2 Legios in a group of 5 is currently OP. Try to imagine how bad 3 Legios would be in a group of 10.

This game already gives you every reason to zerg (form very large guilds in an effort to win). Lets not encourage it anymore.

Don't raise it at all unless you change the ways skills work. Think 2 Legios in a group of 5 is currently OP. Try to imagine how bad 3 Legios would be in a group of 10.

This game already gives you every reason to zerg (form very large guilds in an effort to win). Lets not encourage it anymore.

Too much support is always bad. Judging balance based off now is also bad.

Really, it's gonna depend on population. Imagine 10 man groups with the pops we have now. It would suuuuuck for all save a few guilds.

But with Todd's 2k goal ... ya, 10 would be A-OK.

I just want there to be a large leadership component because it feels cool as poorly made socks to expand that by training. I can almost pretend I'm a special snowflake that way.

Now @ThomasBlair, make me give up something else to gain that super cool leadership buff and I'll claim the build as my own.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a craftable item like a banner that someone trained in Leadership could equip and/or use to enhance certain abilities, in exchange for some risk. Banners were a thing in real world battles, in different areas for various reasons, imagine how cool it would be if taking or destroying an enemy's banner was a thing with tactical significance. How crazy would it be to be in a group of banner-enabled 10, and then have it suddenly disabled when the enemy pulls your banner out of the ground and runs off with it...

I can envision a whole ruleset based around the idea, we could call it, hmmm...Capture the Flag! Wait a minute... :P

Okay seriously, larger groups are better for some things but worse for others. As an AoE-dealer and support player, it's better for me. A Guild should be able to field 10 bodies or they are going to be in trouble anyway. In release at least. Things right now are kind of garbage when it comes to group PvP regardless of group size, and objective or two wouldn't hurt.

Something like a banner or flag...

I'm kidding. Mostly.

I would presume that in the dregs/shadow hybrid your 'friendly fire faction' would be your entire guild even if your not grouped with them (like we had factions in SP automatically)

in which case i'd be happy with a group size of 5, possibly going up to 8, as long as the obvious stacking issues are addressed.

Now whether they are able to design all the archetypes to be worth a spot in a group is another issue entirely...

Edited by Tinnis

You make groups 5 but allow raids of multiple parties. Make buffs only party wide and that would solve the worries of too much support.

With a raid max of about 20.

Zerg is another (crucial) issue.

I vote for ZERO.

Want to heal/buff someone? Aim at them or have them near for AOE.

Want to know if someone is dying? Communicate.

Want to know where someone is? Communicate.

FF? Don't attack your friends.

Obviously won't happen, but I've always found grouping to remove several layers of challenge/effort.

Edited by APE

I vote for ZERO.

I can sympathize with that.

There's just too many useful things that grouping can offer

- chat domain

- HUD statistics, e.g. mana

- auto-loot functions

- shared mapping, e.g. pings, compass markers

- group buffs

- leader-initiated zoning

- etc

+1 vote for having a baseline then giving Leadership bonuses to group size. Makes the leader role more appreciable.

same here i would put that into the final leadership skill to make it only for those that dedicate into the leadership tree.

Honestly  ever since DaoC  i've  never been happy with group  sizes of various games... 4,5, warbands etc.

8 has always seemed  the  magical  number  for  me. 2  supports, 2 tanks, 2 dps, and 2 swing  characters. It's  not too  big  you're always looking  for  players,

and not too small  that you  have to leave  out  your  close friends.

Plus 8  man  fights  in skirmishes can be quick fights or  a nice  long fight depending on  skill  level. Plus  it gives you  enough  staying  power that if you  run into

two full groups 8vs 16 stands a chance of winning.

I'd like for there to be no grouping, and true friendly fire, this would increase the skill-ceiling and punish players that don't position well or don't have the situational awareness to know when best to use their abilities.

I vote for ZERO.

I can sympathize with that.

There's just too many useful things that grouping can offer

- chat domain

- HUD statistics, e.g. mana

- auto-loot functions

- shared mapping, e.g. pings, compass markers

- group buffs

- leader-initiated zoning

- etc

I'd like for there to be no grouping, and true friendly fire, this would increase the skill-ceiling and punish players that don't position well or don't have the situational awareness to know when best to use their abilities.

For many concern reasons, I can sympathize with looking at grouping being Zero too..

and I almost would have another gripe if we are going to have a lobby showing all player names/guilds in the beginning of a campaign, as this would allow large 3rd party voice comms working together with other party groups in the campaign. Verses a team with multiple small comms. (many small guilds)

Also please no game maps or coordinates. Let the groups start out finding other party groups and POIs "blindly". (kinda like they were in previous HD and SP) Though, with a longer duration "campaign", who's to say group parties belonging to larger guilds wont find each other eventually anyway and group up with their large discord voice room.

What what what. Did we just agree?

At least give us true FF and/or no groups for dregs. If groups were 0 and FF were on I wouldn't have such an issue with Giant AOE skills that don't have to be targeted as they would now take more skill inherently.