Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vydel

Any Web Designers/Developers want to help?

So I am study Web Design and Development, only through entry level classes so far.

I want to start a project that I can use for my "capstone" class at the end of the program and something to show potential employers. It will be gaming related and involve databases and such. I am looking to do the work myself, just want to put together some people that can help point me in the right directions and give me some advice. PM me here if you are interested. If not, I wish you a good day anyway so suck on that!

sibcrowfall.png

Hi Vydel,

I was in your shoes not too long ago. My advice would be to learn a relevant stack of web technologies that are currently in demand. A short list of these would be HTML5, Angular.js, Node.js, and a database technology such as MongoDB. There are many web technologies out there, and many companies have different requirements -- but I have found these to be the most prevalent. Gain a fundamental understanding of how data gets passed around through CRUD calls.. Writing and interacting with API's (Application Programming Interfaces), and pushing your code to a repository using GitHub (Branching, Merging, Etc) as if you were working in a team environment.

I found it easier to learn with hands on practice rather than buying books to read through. People learn differently though.

Above all else, don't get discouraged. Programming is tough work.

Best of luck on your journey ahead.

Jared

Jared Jackson, Software Engineer
 Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Thanks Jared!

I am in a good spot with it so far, just looking for some guiding hands.  This weekend I am going to dig into it and work on it.  Started some initial documentation a few weeks ago but classes just started again and I am feeling reinvigorated to really dig into it.

I have taken all the base level classes so far just none of my classes have shown me how to tie it all together yet.  I stated that I want to use it for my "capstone" class and show potential employers, but that is like a year plus down the line.  I am not in a hurry or under any kind of deadline, however it might be quite an ambitious thing I have in mind.

Thank you though for your encouraging words!

Edited by Vydel

sibcrowfall.png

I'm more of a hobbyist, but I found nodejs, mongodb, expressjs and frontend frameworks like EmberJS, VueJs and even ReactJS to be fairly easy to pick up, learn and use.

EmberJS is extremely opinionated and monolithic; it's basically an "all-in-one" solution with it's own data store, router and templating.

VueJS / ReactJS are more aimed at the "view", but you can opt-in to things like routers and state management.

Edited by helix

Hey @Vydel.  Saw this while I was at PAX South but was unable to actually sit down to type this out, since trying to type out essays on a phone is kind of a pain in the butt.  I do website applications development for one of the departments at the university I work at, 8 years in so far.  I'll just add on to Jared's thoughts though.

Assuming you are looking at website development as a career, to start off knowing HTML5 and CSS, as well as being aware of standardized practices such as W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) DOM standards at this time is pretty much a must.  I highly encourage you to learn about ARIA accessibility standards when you can because building your websites to be accessible from the beginning to individuals with visual impairments (or in some cases, especially concerning emergency services, your users are trying to find information while in a panic mode), is much easier to maintain in the long run compared to tearing apart your code in trying to support accessibility as an afterthought if your clients want it later.

jQuery is a great entry-level Javascript framework for doing front-end transforms, like transitions or data requests through AJAX, on your site.  After that learning a Javascript framework for more advanced applications, like ember.js, is a logical thing to do since it cuts down on rich web applications development time significantly.  If you want to do some REALLY COOL stuff, since you're talking gaming, you can pick up some WebGL programming using a framework such as three.js, but we're getting into some advanced level fun here.

MongoDB is a great NoSQL database to start with, but if you want to scale up your gaming application in the future, I highly encourage you to pick up a relational database management system (MySQL is the best one imo to learn on, which you can also use a nice free tool called MySQL Workbench to build your ER diagrams and synch with your MySQL database).

Learning a bit about SCRUM and/or Agile project development methodologies might also be useful if you want to simulate an iterative team-based development environment.  Visual Studio Online has a bunch of those tools available for free.

Importantly, as Jared said, don't get discouraged.  The process of reiterating again and again and again is quite the norm.  You will keep looking back at your code and think "WTF who wrote this crap!?", when it was the crap you wrote a week ago LOL.  Be thankful you have University of Google to be able to search out various blogs and other tutorials and examples instead of having to depend solely on books.

Even more importantly: make sure you are doing a project you are passionate about and can enjoy building if you have that flexibility.  Trying to force the completion of a big project that you don't give a crap about is not a good situation to put yourself in mentally.

If you have any more specific questions about Web Development or any tools, you're welcome to hit me up via PM.  Best wishes on your project!

- Wabice

EDIT: Poorly made socks...LOL XD

Edited by Wabice

<BOT> Wabice, a.k.a. Florida Man, a.k.a. JOHN CENA, a.k.a. Heid D'Salaami, a.k.a. ...

Florida Man Wins Hunger Dome Match.  Performs Victory Fire Dance.  Dies.

I made the mistake of graduating as a graphic designer. But I was fortunate enough to start my career in a web technology company. When I found out how disproportionate the paychecks were between graphic designers and programmers, and how interested I was in logic and code, I decided to try and get into it after I was let go after 3 years there.

Now, numerous years after all that, I work as a senior full-stack web developer. I remember looking up "What's the best programming language" and "how to start" and all that.

Some of the best advice is already given.

Mine is to do something like freecodecamp.com or codeacademy.com and then start doing projects and freelance work.

Don't give up. Try and fail often. Make friends who are devs. Ask for help. Ask for sessions where they give you advice.

Also don't get too caught up in the "latest greatest and best-est of frameworks". Even the most hipster of start-ups can't keep up.
Try learning some angular2 or some react and you should be golden.

But before worrying about frameworks... get your fundamentals straight.

Learn JavaScript, or Java, or C++, or any language... the fundamentals you'll learn with it you'll bring to any programming language.

If web, then learn HTML and CSS next, then get into frameworks and servers.

Start with freecodecamp or codeacademy. I gave my brother-in-law the same advice and he develops for a hospital's R&D department now.