Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall: Timeline

During the investors funding, there was a video stating a major milestone during the summer.  I believe that was for Beta.  Personally I think that beta in the next 5-7 months is a stretch, but who knows miracles happen every day.  There has been no official word on the next major milestone of testing; other than test builds.

lUvvzPy.png

No official timeline, I don't think, but I'll make a bootleg timeline for you

• January 2015
    • Crowfall Announced
  • February 2015
    • Kickstarter Announced 
  • March 2015
    • End of Kickstarter
  • August 2015
    • Pre-Alpha Hunger Dome 1.0
  • November 2015
    • Pre-Alpha Hunger Dome 1.1
    • Release of the Champion
    • Hunger Dome in Color
  • December 2015
    • Crows & Vessels System revealed                   
  • January 2016
    • Pre-Alpha Hunger Dome 1.2
    • Client-side prediction of powers
    • Skill Training Online
  • March 2016
    • Release of the Ranger
  • April 2016
    • Pre- Alpha Siege Perilous 2.0
  • May 2016
    • Release of the Druid
  • June 2016
    • Pre-Alpha Siege Perilous 2.1
    • Ballistas
  • August 2016
    • Release of the Myrmidon
  • November 2016
    • Big World 3.0
    • Release of the Duelist
    • Harvesting & Crafting
    • Microventures/Indiegogo Title III Equity Announced
  • January 2017
    • End of Microventures/Indiegogo Title III Equity
    • Crows & Vessels System Online
  • February 2017
    • Release of the Templar?

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

According to the investor webinar they want to launch the game by this summer at some point. I'd assume that's a soft launch with some limited features that aren't fleshed out (things like no gender variants for certain archetypes ect.).

Just have a feeling that things will get faster from now on.

Yeah I think the Crow and Vessel system was a big piece of the puzzle that was kind of putting other things in a holding pattern. Now its out and being refined, hopefully the next pieces start falling. Although you don't want to go TOO fast because you want to test these new systems and mechanics one at a time as they come to make sure they work and don't break the game before moving on too the next thing.  

Edited by pang

I have yet to be pleasantly surprised by development time being shorter than was anticipated. It is very often the case that things are delayed. Wishful thinking won't make it so.

That is not wishful thinking, though.

There is a difference between "things are going to start moving faster now" and "development deadlines will be shorter than projected."

The acceleration in development time is a factor of some of the more complicated and most re-usable coding being near finishing, which will make the creation of future assets a faster process. It has already been accounted for in the development deadlines we are given.

Edit: except when it isn't. :P Sometimes, deadlines are just wrong. As a community, one of the upsides we were paying for by using Kickstarter was that a big publisher wouldn't rush the game out before it was finished.

People always complain when a game they want is delayed, even if the reason is because it isn't done yet.

People also always complain when a game is released before it is done. They can't make everybody happy - they can only prioritize one camp or the other.

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

Well the deadline when I funded it was Dec 2016 Release so that one is way off.
Im fine with extensions, I just wish we had more insight into what the exactly means because "Pre-Alpha" is a phase that supposed to happen before testing and we all know we are apart of the test.

I just wish we had more insight into what the exactly means because "Pre-Alpha" is a phase that supposed to happen before testing and we all know we are apart of the test.

Pre-alpha is before "formal testing" but not before all testing. Most game companies do not let the public test a pre-alpha. It would normally be done entirely internally. For better or worse, ACE have let their backers see the unlovely "sausage making." Perhaps it was a mistake, but I am glad to be able to witness and participate in the process.

The information is available about what phase they are in, but I agree that a lot of people are confused. It may be asking too much to expect people to understand that as a "beta 1 tester" they are currently allowed to test the pre-alpha. Perhaps if those testing access names were changed it would help. Rename all the levels that current allow access to "pre-alpha tester."

IhhQKY6.gif

Pre-alpha is before "formal testing" but not before all testing. Most game companies do not let the public test a pre-alpha. It would normally be done entirely internally. For better or worse, ACE have let their backers see the unlovely "sausage making." Perhaps it was a mistake, but I am glad to be able to witness and participate in the process.

The information is available about what phase they are in, but I agree that a lot of people are confused. It may be asking too much to expect people to understand that as a "beta 1 tester" they are currently allowed to test the pre-alpha. Perhaps if those testing access names were changed it would help. Rename all the levels that current allow access to "pre-alpha tester."

That re-name would only work if they are certain the current test numbers are a bottom level they wish to support.

If future test world or scenarios require/desire less testers, then they are better off leaving the labels so if they cut back on the numbers it will be clear where the dividing lines are.

Well if they are inviting Beta groups into testing for Pre-Alpha, something is off. I just hope the readdress the time line at some point.

I love the transparency of the creation of the game, but they should at least give a soft time line so they can be held somewhat accountable after vastly missing previous ones. 

Well if they are inviting Beta groups into testing for Pre-Alpha, something is off. I just hope the readdress the time line at some point.

I love the transparency of the creation of the game, but they should at least give a soft time line so they can be held somewhat accountable after vastly missing previous ones. 

Who says we have any right/ability to hold them "somewhat accountable"?

I think they are far more accountable to building a viable end product, than hitting some estimated and unpredictable time line.

Besides, they are accountable by default.  If they run out of money before the finish line, then they don't get to capitalize on any upside of a finished successful game.

It's not like they ever WANT things to take longer, they just sometimes do.

I also want to further elaborate on this. The easiest way to tell the difference between alpha and pre-alpha is to accurately define "alpha testing." The line between alpha and pre-alpha can get nebulous, but in general a few things hold true for all things in alpha testing states.

All of the original ideas that the developer had intended to implement will be present, if not *complete*, in an alpha test. That means that every skill line in the skill tree would be available for use in alpha, though some of the specific skills might change, and their specific values might change. Every crafting recipe would be present in the game, though they might not all work correctly or accurately reflect finished versions of the items they create at launch. In other words, in a proper alpha, there is no truly missing content. Everything that will be there at launch gets added by the end of alpha. When alpha testing concludes, the game is considered "feature complete."

Everything that happens before alpha testing starts is pre-alpha. Pre-alpha therefore almost always takes up the majority of development time, because it comprises the majority of the work. Everything else is just various degrees of fine-tuning.

Edit: generally speaking, the alpha version of software more or less resembles the launch version of the software. There aren't usually any more enormous changes to be made between alpha and live. Games like Star Citizen are an excellent example of exceptions to this rule: because of the scale they are trying to build that game on, it is entirely possible that alpha will be as long or longer than pre-alpha was, because they basically finished the core systems, but now they have 900 years of extra stuff they promised would be in live that they haven't reneged on yet. But for the most part, that doesn't really happen.

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

Well if they are inviting Beta groups into testing for Pre-Alpha, something is off.  

The alternative would be to invite only pre-alpha testers, but there aren't enough pre-alpha testers. There are over 9000 people in testing right now, and we usually top out at about 150 testers across all 4 servers.

If they had invited only pre-alpha testers to this point, they would still be in pre-alpha, though probably further behind since there would be less testing. You'd also have a lot of annoyed people who backed the game early and want to be able to test but can't, and there would be less money coming in since people want to be able to play/test the game.

I'm sure ACE could do a better job of letting people know what phase of testing the game is currently in, but I don't think you'll find anyone who backed during KS who is upset because they are able to test the game in pre-alpha with beta 1 access. Ultimately, it is good for the game and a necessary part of building a game via crowdfunding.

This is my first check up on this site (or CrowFall at all for that matter) in the last five months maybe six I guess? So thanks for at least guesstimating the release timeline to be blunt that's all I care about at this point with this game.

I tossed $50 @ Crowfall early last summer, still don't know what I got for that the whole thing is confusing I gave up trying to pretend if I'm allowed to play in an alpha at any time. I'm not bitter though, I'm just talking here I'm fine. If I had no interest in the game or no thoughts it would go somewhere I wouldn't have spent money on it.

Anyway I'm rambling useless info -- still looks cool , I'm still excited for the game, but my time is full right now with trying to play so many games it might be good if Crowfall doesn't release until 2018 for me actually! Playing Titanfall 2, re-playing Witcher 3 and probably getting the expansions finally, pouring massive time into WoW: Legion (until March 21 all my game time will be absorbed by Mass Effect: Andromeda)....so yeah I only have about 10 hours to devote per 7 day week to playing games now....too much to play too little time to play.

:)