Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall: Timeline

venom760

I also want to further elaborate on this. The easiest way to tell the difference between alpha and pre-alpha is to accurately define "alpha testing." The line between alpha and pre-alpha can get nebulous, but in general a few things hold true for all things in alpha testing states.

All of the original ideas that the developer had intended to implement will be present, if not *complete*, in an alpha test. That means that every skill line in the skill tree would be available for use in alpha, though some of the specific skills might change, and their specific values might change. Every crafting recipe would be present in the game, though they might not all work correctly or accurately reflect finished versions of the items they create at launch. In other words, in a proper alpha, there is no truly missing content. Everything that will be there at launch gets added by the end of alpha. When alpha testing concludes, the game is considered "feature complete."

Everything that happens before alpha testing starts is pre-alpha. Pre-alpha therefore almost always takes up the majority of development time, because it comprises the majority of the work. Everything else is just various degrees of fine-tuning.

Edit: generally speaking, the alpha version of software more or less resembles the launch version of the software. There aren't usually any more enormous changes to be made between alpha and live. Games like Star Citizen are an excellent example of exceptions to this rule: because of the scale they are trying to build that game on, it is entirely possible that alpha will be as long or longer than pre-alpha was, because they basically finished the core systems, but now they have 900 years of extra stuff they promised would be in live that they haven't reneged on yet. But for the most part, that doesn't really happen.

This is what i think, as replied in other thread which is related to

Im positively intirely sure that most of recent people complaining about this and there (game state) are somehow newbies in what a game testing is about or almost never tested much in their past history.

For the aknowledge ones, game in deveploment phase tests is what it means, be it pre-alpha, alphas!

Others may think it about old time's Closed Betas or even poorly made socks EAs of today (poor DEVs excuses to release very buggy uncompleted games while sucking money in meanwhile). 

So to my honest opinion, which i can be wrongly pointing out, is the gamers testing ideology of today!

Edited by Tofyzer

This is what i think, as replied in other thread which is related to

Im positively intirely sure that most of recent people complaining about this and there (game state) are somehow newbies in what a game testing is about or almost never tested much in their past history.

For the aknowledge ones, game in deveploment phase tests is what it means, be it pre-alpha, alphas!

Others may think it about old time's Closed Betas or even poorly made socks EAs of today (poor DEVs excuses to release very buggy uncompleted games while sucking money in meanwhile). 

So to my honest opinion, which i can be wrongly pointing out, is the gamers testing ideology of today!

I think your confusing when people bring up topics where possible improvements are suggested with complaining? 

Edited by Lil_Mayhem

He's not wrong. That's what I spend most of my time on these forums doing now - trying to get people to keep their criticisms constructive. Whining that stuff is missing from pre-alpha gameplay won't finish the game any faster, and there is a difference between proposing something you would like to see and unconstructive posting [edit: this is a hilariously accurate correction, censorbot. really on the nose.[re-edit: I did not type the word "unconstructive."]] about how it isn't already in the game. A lot of people don't seem to *see* a difference there, but I promise it is a big one.

A lot of people are also frustrated because they came in without doing enough research and had unrealistic expectations - hence my signature and my constant clarifications about the differences between the stages of testing. It's one thing to be upset that you had to do an undue quantity of research before buying a video game that has been finished and launched and is for sale, but if you're going to dedicate more money than the game will cost on release to play it before it is finished, the impetus is on you to do your homework.

For posterity, OP, periodically checking in on the forums totally counts. :P Not sniping at you - if anything, I'm sniping at other people on these forums who really need to exercise some self-awareness, but honestly, I'm just rambling. I just wish everyone just understood this already so we could all start being productive and actually helping the devs speed things up instead of spending 95% of our time here fighting about things that we don't have any information about, to begin with.

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

He's not wrong. That's what I spend most of my time on these forums doing now - trying to get people to keep their criticisms constructive. Whining that stuff is missing from pre-alpha gameplay won't finish the game any faster, and there is a difference between proposing something you would like to see and unconstructive posting [edit: this is a hilariously accurate correction, censorbot. really on the nose.[re-edit: I did not type the word "unconstructive."]] about how it isn't already in the game. A lot of people don't seem to *see* a difference there, but I promise it is a big one.

A lot of people are also frustrated because they came in without doing enough research and had unrealistic expectations - hence my signature and my constant clarifications about the differences between the stages of testing. It's one thing to be upset that you had to do an undue quantity of research before buying a video game that has been finished and launched and is for sale, but if you're going to dedicate more money than the game will cost on release to play it before it is finished, the impetus is on you to do your homework.

For posterity, OP, periodically checking in on the forums totally counts. :P Not sniping at you - if anything, I'm sniping at other people on these forums who really need to exercise some self-awareness, but honestly, I'm just rambling. I just wish everyone just understood this already so we could all start being productive and actually helping the devs speed things up instead of spending 95% of our time here fighting about things that we don't have any information about, to begin with.

I respectively just disagree:

I really don't see people bashing on anything - but maybe I just skip over that crud - Just my "perception"

What I do see is veteran players and early backers trying to provide suggestions for improvements to the way somethings are looking to be poorly implemented - and some fan boys that give the current design a "blanket pass" - sure stuff is not done yet and I have yet to see most of the posts where that is not recognized - but that does not mean that suggestions can't be made - 

Derailed from OP but I could not let that hang without a response -

We can agree to disagree on the matter :)

• 1 month later...

Aside from the pre-alpha/post-alpha banter going on here, I'd like to go back to the inicial question - a timeline for crowfalls development.

As some may already now, @bluemotion put a pretty nice timeline for the german community together. When we noticed the good feedback, we decided to look a bit over our own plate & make a translated version, so everyone can enjoy.

You can find the timeline here, it should automaticly display in english if your PC's language is English (US) - otherwise it will be german.
I'll hassle our technical team to add a "change language" button or something similar as soon as possible ;)

If you have any concerns, found a translation error OR want to contribute with a translation to your own native language, go ahead and comment or message @bluemotion, @CFC_Shiro or myself :)

Hope you like it!

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

10 hours ago, Akineko said:

Aside from the pre-alpha/post-alpha banter going on here, I'd like to go back to the inicial question - a timeline for crowfalls development.

As some may already now, @bluemotion put a pretty nice timeline for the german community together. When we noticed the good feedback, we decided to look a bit over our own plate & make a translated version, so everyone can enjoy.

You can find the timeline here, it should automaticly display in english if your PC's language is English (US) - otherwise it will be german.
I'll hassle our technical team to add a "change language" button or something similar as soon as possible ;)

If you have any concerns, found a translation error OR want to contribute with a translation to your own native language, go ahead and comment or message @bluemotion, @CFC_Shiro or myself :)

Hope you like it!

Neat tool.  One suggestion.  The flags on the timeline are a bit hard to read.  I'd say look into a color scheme that makes it more legible, and also makes it pop more.  Should be able to choose colors that still convey the selected/mouseover/normal states.  Grey on grey on grey is a bit bland.

20 minutes ago, KohrAh said:

Neat tool.  One suggestion.  The flags on the timeline are a bit hard to read.  I'd say look into a color scheme that makes it more legible, and also makes it pop more.  Should be able to choose colors that still convey the selected/mouseover/normal states.  Grey on grey on grey is a bit bland.

Thanks, we'll look into it :)

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share