Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinGemini

- Problem with no "Proximity Voice" system?.. A suggestion, and additional Scout discipline role! -

EDITED. Since I now see what others were trying to point out to me here below. (Basically describing to me that large 3rd party guild channels would always exist and have the upper hand no matter what communication system a game puts into place)...

I now foresee a problem with any uncoverable map system for this game. (Todds scouts suggestion

)

Reason that I think we would have a problem, if map visuals have to be constantly refreshed or put together in pieces by scouts.. As the campaign progresses, a team/faction made up of 1 large discord channel, would uncover a map layout easier then a team/faction made up of many small discords channels.(or smaller guilds)

More smaller discords rooms would equal less organized team because things like map screenshots would be taken and shared, as well as their fluid communication about the campaign layout of parcels would be easier for them to figure out and share as well. (with coordinates now too)

I think we need to keep the idea of just the compass system, where we only know where our party is and what they are doing. Not a map of knowing what other faction parties (friendly or enemy) are accomplishing on a campaign world.

Please keep the map layout a secret to all parties, and have them be forced to venture out and decide to either find other groups, or take on objectives that are only in their "sight range" they decide to overtake or not. (like in Hungerdome and siege perilous test layouts)

Though unlike the hungerdome and SP lobby.. I'm not even sure knowing at the beginning of the match "whos player names" or "whos guild names" seen joining, other then your own party, is a good idea either.. It's another simple reason of being able to communicate with other known guild party teams on what they have seen or are discovering in their campaign map and figure out how to group up quicker. I'd now say keep it all random.

I see a frustration too of campaign timelines and the constant logging off players on a team but ill leave this topic alone for now. My head hurts..lol

Original post:

During the last live Twitch event Todd gave a vision hint for "Scouts" role in Crowfall:

I would like to suggest a further role for scouts that I think is important regarding a possible problem with "Large" Discord channels and the ability to share enemy position information between voice channels.

The possible unforeseen Discord problem?:

As the campaign progresses, without a system of ingame proximity use of voice, I can foresee a problem with enemy eavesdroppers listening to the other faction sides Discord channel. This means anyone can have the ability to spread information to their own team/guilds Discord channel about where the enemy team is, and what they are focusing their efforts on. Examples: taking over a mine, or small crafting building. etc.

Do we need Proximity Communication?

...for the reason above, I would like to see an ingame proximity voice system and a proximity chat system . A proximity voice area for the "main keep" and various proximity voice for party groups out in the "battlefield". Where you have to be in a certain area to hear the groups.

The chat system is also set up the same way as proximity only with the exception of "tells" and maybe "party chat".

("Global chat lobbies" is also maybe allowed too for random socializing of RL news..)

This brings Scouts an additional role:

In the campaign server, as Todd hinted at, "having scouts/trackers be the ones to bring back map information to a gathering table". Does this mean only updates to enemy land plot claims?..

... I would suggest go a step further for scouts to seek out other "friendly" team parties as well within the campaign map...

Have scouts also bring map "snapshots" of friendly party positioning to other various friendly parties throughout the battlefield. This map may also include an update to any new appointed party leader names, (after other party leaders have logged off) Having these given names allows leaders to communicate to each other via sending chat "tells" since they can't reach each other with the proximity voice.

After leaders receive the scouts map information, maybe only leaders with the leadership discipline be able decode the map and be able share it to the party to plan various collaboration efforts or possible scheduling of a meet up with other parties to discuss further objective plans via proximity voice and chat.

Conclusion:

So with this suggested role for scouts and the suggestions of implementation of an ingame voice proximity and chat. It would maybe deter 3rd party voice apps from being the "main" "go-to" game server channel where anyone and everyone will be sharing verbal information, The reality is sadly all you have to do to cheat is join in an enemy Discord room to hear them.. Maybe, you may have to be a member of a guild to join their Discord channel, but who is to say you cant have a second character account (spy) sitting AFK in the room and in the campaign? Or they have better allegiance to another guild.. We should rely on the game to show us different plans playing out. Not get most info from "on all the time" voice room/rooms.)

Let me know your thoughts!

P.S: I think it would be nice to have "keep/castle proximity chat bubbles" as a player option to turn on or off. It adds a nice "social" role play system and an easy to determine "heads-up" conversation in large player groups or camps, (to negate a fast scrolling chat box and name matching to various character bodies). They also serve as a roleplay mechanic for things like vendor daily sales and location coord spamming in large EK keeps/cities to make the city look thriving to the new players.

(reminds me of SWG city of Coronet/Theed, where it was the default gathering place to see all different types of geared players/NPCs/classes/professions/vendor advertising/combat duels/social bars. - All incentives for new players to fulfill different roles and continue playing the game.)

***Edit: Yes, large and already established guilds will have their go-to 3rd party voice channels. I'm not saying they shouldn't... Because can't they use them both? (as an ingame push-to-talk mechanic), I'm just saying for any new players, solo players, guild seekers or small guilds who want to tag along on large faction teams made up of many different guilds (faction goal), they wwould be able to do so easily (and not really be able to spy for other faction/guilds too much due to prox voice and limited large Discord rooms).

I see it as an effective way of communicating between one another when the game is being "played". Already having a setup ingame prox voice chat would be far easier for them to quickly say something helpful, as combat is too fast paced to type. That is if they see their message in a scrolling chat box, oh also if they can quickly match the name to the character (cause no implemented chat bubbles or heads up).

An ingame proximity voice + chat bubbles would cater to a wide range of players for this game and guilds of all sizes for various campaigns.. just sayin.

Edited by blackfirebird93

Guilds are going to have their own voice chat, whether it is discord, teamspeak or whatever. They aren't going to let people from outside their guild into the chat. Having promixity voice chat will in no way discourage the use of 3rd party voice comms.

Even if it was there, most people will turn it off. No point dumping resources into something that most people won't use. 

I would see the in game voice system being the main voice system.. detering other 3rd party voice rooms.

Guilds get big to where leaders dont see the spies in their voice room  :)

Arkade, on 27 Jan 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

Guilds are going to have their own voice chat, whether it is discord, teamspeak or whatever. They aren't going to let people from outside their guild into the chat. Having promixity voice chat will in no way discourage the use of 3rd party voice comms.

Yes guilds will have 3rd party comms, but "push button" ingame proximity voice would be main and deter 3rd party ones.

also I think guilds get too big to manage where leaders dont see spies/AFKers joining their discord voice room anyway.

I would see the in game voice system being the main voice system.. detering other 3rd party voice rooms.

Guilds get big to where leaders dont see the spies in their voice room  :)

Arkade, on 27 Jan 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

Yes guilds will have 3rd party comms, but "push button" ingame proximity voice would be main and deter 3rd party ones.

also I think guilds get too big to manage where leaders dont see spies/AFKers joining their discord voice room anyway.

If you really think that even if this game had that prox chat, that guilds would use that as the main being even close to majority, you are badly mistaken.  3rd party will always win out for  various reasons.

Edited by Handies

If you really think that even if this game had that prox chat, that guilds would use that as the main being even close to majority, you are badly mistaken.  3rd party will always win out for  various reasons.

If your talking about large already established guilds who play multiple game titles then sure I agree. But its not like you can't use both voice comms at the same time with an ingame push to talk..

But assuming your going to "screen" every guild joiner in order to join your 3rd party Voice room, where does that leave the guild seekers or solo players that want to play campaigns too? Wouldn't it be easier to let people join a guild as long as they follow you and participate and they can't really cheat due to voice proximity?

Proximity voice is great for emergent gameplay in a pvp game.  It's a shame ACE isn't implementing it.  It's a feature that by itself could end up making the game widely popular or not.  Survival game players love the proximity voice chat, and the emergent gameplay that it brings is something that some of the biggest streamers focus on as a contributor to the entertainment value of their stream. 

It's become far too natural for someone like Lirik to approach a stranger in game and bring out the social aspect of it through a proximity voice chat conversation.

Seeing a stranger, stopping, and having a typed conversation is a pretty outdated design.

If ACE simply doesn't have the money for such things then that's just something that has to be accepted, but to miss out on a feature that so many games have now and that is naturally fitting for social games is kind of like having 1 foot stuck in the past. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Very interesting. Im not sure the burden/worth ratio would be there for them to do it in game. However, if they allowed a API that you can transmit your x/y coordinate to something like discord, theres no reason you cannot program something like this inside discord itself.

You would have everyones cords and discord would handle who hears what.

API can really bring games to the next level, you take the burden and constraint out of the developers hand and give the players the option to create some really amazing things. 

On the topic of scout, it would be pretty neat if they could put a invisible debuff on a player that would force them to show up on your teams map, and it would have to be refreshed from time to time, of course.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

From the last live presentation, it just looks like ACE could have the ability to do a plot-able map system that could be shareable, adding player positions wouldn't be too much more work for them as well as a list of party leader names to add to the revealed map.

I just picture sending scouts off as messenger crows where they do a Scan/Search ability to cover a certain part of the map then ride to the next location to reveal another section of the map. (all while trying to be stealthed and not get caught due to revealing abilities) 

From the last live presentation, it just looks like ACE could have the ability to do a plot-able map system that could be shareable, adding player positions wouldn't be too much more work for them as well as a list of party leader names to add to the revealed map.

I just picture sending scouts off as messenger crows where they do a Scan/Search ability to cover a certain part of the map then ride to the next location to reveal another section of the map. (all while trying to be stealthed and not get caught due to revealing abilities) 

About this time Tinnis pops in with his screen shot of the discipline rune spread sheet, one being cartograph.

I think the idea is on the white board, i would love for it to make it through.

Interesting thing was him saying that a scout should have a trade off of being weak. This implies discipline runes would give some sort of penalty? 

CfWBSig.png

I think it would be nifty to have but it isn't like something like this would ever be used to overhear people talking about something important. It would be pretty cool for communicating with randoms you came across however. 

Almost all guilds will use some sort of 3rd party communication tool. Generally in game would probably be bound to a different key so as to avoid anything like that happening.

C4sIZDW.gif

I could see the "spy" problem you speak of if the spy was in the factions discord large lobby room listening to overall given team commands, where team leaders would gather. I guess really it doesn't have to be large discord room either to be unnoticed, probably any random newly joined guild member could join in on the small rooms and yet only be there to siphon early information for their own guild on the opposite team. Just hope most teams will realize to use a party chat for important information on where to attack on map next.

I do like the idea of the scout role bringing back updated map info for the team. We'll have to see how this all plays out in the coming campaign tests.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Proximity voice is great for emergent gameplay in a pvp game.  It's a shame ACE isn't implementing it.  It's a feature that by itself could end up making the game widely popular or not.  Survival game players love the proximity voice chat, and the emergent gameplay that it brings is something that some of the biggest streamers focus on as a contributor to the entertainment value of their stream. 

It's become far too natural for someone like Lirik to approach a stranger in game and bring out the social aspect of it through a proximity voice chat conversation.

Seeing a stranger, stopping, and having a typed conversation is a pretty outdated design.

If ACE simply doesn't have the money for such things then that's just something that has to be accepted, but to miss out on a feature that so many games have now and that is naturally fitting for social games is kind of like having 1 foot stuck in the past. 

i agree with you

Proximity voice is pretty much common in survival games and is also used a lot. I think unity does support it almost out of the box.

Crowfall Wiki

i agree with you

Proximity voice is pretty much common in survival games and is also used a lot. I think unity does support it almost out of the box.

Yep, which is another reason I wish ACE would just implement it, but they also get a lot of people that are extremely vocal against the idea because some people don't like hearing those gosh darn kids on voice while they get rolled up on and pk'd.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Yep, which is another reason I wish ACE would just implement it, but they also get a lot of people that are extremely vocal against the idea because some people don't like hearing those gosh darn kids on voice while they get rolled up on and pk'd.

Was really pushing for proximity voice strictly for larger or multi "team faction" campaigns..

Not sure if prox voip for "all" would be good,. though very entertaining for Twitch!..lol.  

Maybe could work for a small custom campaign game though.. hmm.  ^_^

In all other survival games I've played (DayZ, Rust, Arma, etc) my friends and I always use a 3rd party voice app to communicate.  In game voice was still used to talk to other players we came across since it's easier then giving them the 3rd party app info.  This addition would be a great thing for Crowfall since people could easily talk to one another without needing to stop all movement to type out messages in chat.  I would love to see this feature come out eventually but I don't think it's a system that needs a bunch of resources funneled towards it when a lot of the core systems/mechanics still need be finished and brought online.  Hopefully they find time in the beta stage or after the soft launch to build a proximity voice system in game.  

Also, in all other survival games there has always been a 3rd party mod to stop people from using voice on the global channel for the server.  I don't think a global channel needs to be implemented at all.  I would prefer just having Proximity, Group, and Raid voice channels.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall