Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New player with a simple question

Hello everyone. 

I've tried reading as much as I can on this forum but alas I cannot find the information that I'm wanting.

I understand that this is still early stage development and that's fine. I don't care that the population in the servers is low right now and I don't care that there are bugs. I fully understand what stage of development the game is in.

But is there different game modes or something? The stuff I've viewed online looked almost like a lobby'd style match where they would all just go out and smash each other. 

Am I not seeing this because it's big world campaign testing this weekend? Or am I just being impatient and should just accept the fact that I'm a n00b and haven't hit that point yet. 

Thanks in advance! Super stoked to play with all you guys in the future!

If arena-smashing is not your favorite type of game, you're actually quite lucky you've come in this stage of the game - hunger dome was far more arena'ish ;)

There are no different game modes, if you mean single player/online by that. There are different server types, pvp and one pve server. As a newbie I'd advise you to start out on the pve server and first learn your basic crafting - otherwise you will be smashed good without any weapon or armor.

If you need help figuring out how everything works, just ask for help in the chat. there's normally someone around who can help :)

And another tip: don't go out alone, take friends with you.
Seriously. It's a pvp, team based game. And if you go out alone, you'll be smashed by those pesky 5ppl groups roving the countryside ^^

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

Find people to run with.  Unless you like playing as the rabbit rather than the wolf, you'll need friends.

Play Sanctuary and build your first set of leather armor and weapon.  

If you are playing solo, take a confessor or duelist.  Duelist can burrow/stealth, and confessor has the best speed for escape.  

Other than that, this is pretty much just a systems test at this point.

But is there different game modes or something? The stuff I've viewed online looked almost like a lobby'd style match where they would all just go out and smash each other. 

Am I not seeing this because it's big world campaign testing this weekend?

Welcome to the forum.

In terms of testing enironments we first had the Hunger Dome (combat test, arena stylish limited by time/win-condition, team vs. team, last team standing wins), followed by Siege Perilous (voxel destruction test, arena stylish limited by time/win-condition, faction vs. faction, team with the most attack/defend success wins). Now we have the Big World, an open environment test with no time limit or win-condition, now including harvesting and crafting basics, free fights and stitched parcels.

Up to now every test environment did only show one or a few aspects the final game will include -- which is why they call them pre-alpha tests. To see the whole picture, one would have to put the puzzle pieces together (even the up to know unknown xD ) or to wait for the beta tests to begin, when all of it has been stitched together. But there is still a lot to do before this can happen. Campaign rulesets, Points of Interest, buildable/repairable Strongholds and all such things that will be necessary to let us play the strategical thronewar in the campaigns.   

Much of the stuff you have probably seen in videos isn't going to be in the final game. The first test they did was called Hunger Dome. It was an arena style, last team standing game intended to test combat. Basically, they wanted us to test combat so they gave us a simple game mode to make it more fun. We probably won't see Hunger Dome again as part of testing and it isn't intended to be in the final game. There was also Siege Perilous, which was another game mode that they created with the intent of testing siege mechanics and voxel destruction. Those things will obviously exist in the final game, but the game mode will not. 

This is not a lobby game, at least not what you might be used to. The "matches" will last weeks or months rather than minutes or hours. 

Right now we are in Big World testing. Unlike previous tests, this doesn't have a game mode. There is no win objective. This is where they are starting to put together all of the various systems they need to make the game. We have crafting and harvesting. We have a full inventory system, including the Spirit Bank. The Spirit Bank will not be in the final game in it's current form. It is meant to test the import and export mechanics. Players will not be able to transfer items between worlds at will, only at the beginning and end of a campaign and subject to the import/export rules of that campaign.

They recently added the vessel system, which changed character creation, death and respawn. More systems should be coming on line in the next couple months.