Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arrowheads

narsille

I've been trying to learn Manchu archery (which is neither here nor there).  However, I recently ran across some pictures showing some a wide variety of different styles of Chinese arrowheads.  Given that the Ranger (and probably the stalker) get to choose speciality arrows, I thought that folks would be interested in seeing (some) of what used to be out there

There's quite a variety of different bodkin types for armor piercing and broadheads for use against unarmored opponents.

You also have some more specialized arrow head types.  (FWIW, no one can agree what the crescent moon shaped head is for).  The weird narrow trapezoid shape is designed to split rattan armor.   The arrowhead at the very top right is what's known as a plum needle head.  This type of arrowhead was extremely expensive to make, only issued to elite troops, and they only got a dozen or sorry.  (The Manchu's typically only carried a couple dozen arrows into battle)

received_360057844376302-1_d1450.jpeg

received_360057831042970_d1450.jpeg

Edited by narsille

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

...are those all made of Damascus steel or something? What is the patterning I'm seeing on the arrowheads?

Those are all made of pattern welded steel

Couple points:

1.  The Manchu and the Qing are documented for making pattern welded arrowheads.  Certainly not all arrowheads were produced this way, but remember when I said that the "plum needle" arrowheads were very expensive

2.  The cost to purchase pattern welded steel has dropped dramatically.  There is sufficient demand for "pretty" knives that you know have specialty shops that do nothing but make damascus billets and sell them to knife makers.  In conjunction with this, folks have come up with some real improvements in how to make the stuff that makes it much easier.  At the most basic level, you can now use a welding torch to weld both ends of the billet.  You also have more sophisticated techniques like cannister damascus.  And then, of course, there's power hammers.

The really hard part on these pieces is getting the center line right on such a small piece...

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

Give me pictures of pretty weapons first thing in the morning and I will ask stupid questions about them.

Neat. :3

There is certainly such a thing as a stupid question.  I didn't consider that to be one.

Wootz (aka Damascus steel) has some similarities to pattern welded steel however the it has better properties (and folks still aren't quite sure how it was made)

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

There is certainly such a thing as a stupid question.  I didn't consider that to be one.

Wootz (aka Damascus steel) has some similarities to pattern welded steel however the it has better properties (and folks still aren't quite sure how it was made)

In a vacuum that might not have been a stupid question, but I know better and asked anyway. :P

But there's no reason you would have any reason to know that about me, so I should stop giving away information lest people expect me to give properly thought-out opinions on things. >_>

Edited by goose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

Side note. Maybe the crescent moon arrowheads were for decapitating very small birds. :3

Some people have suggested that (or alternatively cutting ropes and the like)

Here's the rub:  Arrows rotate in fight so unless you are really good at judging number of rotations X distance....

The theory that I find most compelling is also bird related, however, you're going after the wings of large birds in flight

(Poking a hole through a wing is meaningless, slice a big gash on the other hands...)

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

Some people have suggested that (or alternatively cutting ropes and the like)

Here's the rub:  Arrows rotate in fight so unless you are really good at judging number of rotations X distance....

The theory that I find most compelling is also bird related, however, you're going after the wings of large birds in flight

(Poking a hole through a wing is meaningless, slice a big gash on the other hands...)

I don't suppose any of those arrows survived with their fletching intact. That might tell us a lot about their function. Like, if their feathers are aligned to minimize rotations in flight, they could absolutely be intended for cutting ropes or bird necks from relatively short distances. Interesting conundrum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.