Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rajah

War Traps

I'd be more interested in terrain complexity, but I'd like everything they can put into the game... it's mostly about how well it can be implemented.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

There were mines of a sort in Star Wars Galaxies, and games like Guild Wars 2 have implemented traps very well. I think this should be a thing, even if it's a fairly limited subsystem.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

do you mean traps for wall defense seige type situations or an in game ability that throws a trap hole under whoever you're fighting at the time? I wouldn't mind rock falls or oil vats on walls during sieges. Would be a cool mechanic to see especially combined with the collision factor.

Traps could be part of a skill set for a support class; something like a siege engineer. They could add some complexity to a siege, forcing the attackers away from a pure Zerg, towards a more refined approach, while allowing the defenders the opportunity to shore up the weaknesses in their defense, and channel the attackers into better kill zones.

do you mean traps for wall defense seige type situations or an in game ability that throws a trap hole under whoever you're fighting at the time? I wouldn't mind rock falls or oil vats on walls during sieges. Would be a cool mechanic to see especially combined with the collision factor.

GW2 had  2 classes called the Ranger  and Thief that could use skills called traps. They place it on the ground and if an enemy runs over it, it triggers causing different effects depending on what type of trap it was:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trap

It also had Oil pots, canon and Mortars that could be built on walls of Keeps and Towers.

Edited by gauis

Didn't think much about it, I guess both.

I think you should be able to set traps anywhere when not engaged in combat. Kinda requires balancing to make sure dungeon entrances and mines stay relatively accessible.