Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Cmpanion App for Crowfall

MikHaven

Crowfall Community,

My name is MikHaven or Micaiah, I work for Haven Studios.  Like you I love Crowfall and wanted to be a part of the community.

Having been around for a while, after the Kickstarter campaign.   I looked for a mobile companion app for the game and thought you know I could build one, since that is what my company does.

The title is still being worked on ... but is basically a ...

• A companion app is a phone application that connects the game to a mobile device.   This is not a mobile version of the game, but a skill, character, and support app to be used in conjunction with the main game Crowfall which is being developed by ArtCraft.  This App would be built by Haven Studios for support.  I liken it to a wiki or something.

Here is a YouTube version of a showcase app I built for Crowfall.

• https://youtu.be/F3MyF6hsiLY
  • ​Really need to edit and curate this better, but here is the video
    • I wanted to include the community in my app building and see where we could take this concept.
    • I want to express appreciation for the art from Crowfall as almost all of the art is theirs.
    •  
    • Where I would like to go next is to work with members of the community to test and accept feedback for the application.  This is our app, what do we want to see?
    • The app is all about data, and so would also love to work with a Wiki or data house somewhere to facilitate getting the data into the app.
    • API’s I realize we can do the app without the API’s required.  We have classified this ‘Authentication of the data’.  This is like skill training queue times being there, but not linked to your account.   However, we can still provide timeframes and skill trees just as easily.
    •  
    • Communication; while I feel, communication is the most important thing.  My app is hoping to glue the existing lines of communication.   Using Discord, Skype, Text Messaging, Email; our app is meant to be used in conjunction with GASP even a phone call, umm use your tablet instead.
    • I have in the past built a separate Text Messaging app.   However, I think the best method is to use Notifications and sharing policies to view a combat area, and let the user use the tools best suited towards communication.
    •  
    • As a company and person, I am upfront and honest, as it’s the best policy.   However, the mobile market is a complicated mess right now.   So, Haven Studios is looking at all avenues to support the app.  From a nominal, upfront fee, to AD’s to paid content and services.   While this all well and good, everything up to release is free, and will have to hammer out a few minor details to release the app.

I hope we can all can work with ArtCraft to support and play one of the best new MMO’s coming out soon.

Edited by MikHaven

*Please note, I heavily edit my posts*

Community Member; Love the look of the Shield

*This space reserved, for design concepts, and updates, not ready to just dump the design document, but want to get in key features and update statuses soon.

(This is not a bump, made at the same time of the post; I plan to maintain this post heavily)

Like all things I do, now I think about it, could have merge this into the primary thread on a request for a Crowfall mobile app. If a mod, thinks that best, I am all for it.  The plan was to manage all the feedback and updates in one thread.

Edited by MikHaven

Just a quick thought on this as it's Super Bowl Sunday and my wife has given me a long list of things to do this morning :)...

The one thing that would be incredibly useful in a mobile app is Skills Management.  Until there is queueing of skills, it would be helpful to be able to get an alert when skill training completed so you could set up the next one.  No idea if that would be possible for an external app but from a utility perspective, that would seem to be a big win.  Good luck with this.  I'll look at the video later.

One high level observation:  I would be extremely surprised if you could duplicate Crowfall's combat system in a mobile app.

As such, Haven should focus its attention on activities that are intrinsically isolated from combat.

1.  Skill management seems like an obvious contender, however, once we can queue skills this loses its usefulness

2.  Crafting (in a combat free zone like an EK)

3.  Trading (once again, in a combat free zone)

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

As they've currently discussed the idea of a mobile app being something that paid-VIP members get, I cannot see them outsourcing the creation of the companion app for outside developers.

They've also repeatedly been asked about an API, because their are others highly interested in developing for this title (I've been near to the top of that list since KS). They've stated its something they plan on doing, want to do it,  but resources have to go towards core functionality of the game first. So its still in the category of a future todd/future blair problem.

Its also worth noting that it is unlikely any paid-for app, be it with ads or otherwise, will rise to the top of community usage when their are fans who would gladly make such a tool publicly available for free.

Edited by scree

Skills and their systems, queuing and notifications are all about the API, so when you see the API request, as above, and other places.  This is one of the first case scenarios you can use with them.  I can provide a pretty sizable amount of information without the use of the API as we are going forward with that in mind, not getting the API soon.

I would use their requested queuing system in game first as well, but occasionally you'll want to verify when that skill or what you were queuing was outside of game.

Combat, and pretty much any gameplay is not part of the plan or idea for this application.  However having a strategic view is something that is needed for now. Most of that relies on the API as well.  When you start to get into major battles and zone control you start to need more information to make better decisions about the future of your campaigns.

1, 2, 3; Skills, Crafting, and Trading; are all linked to the API requests.  However I could figure out a trading system, or similar features along those lines.

@Rook I'd be quite interested to working with you on this app or yours, and I see what your saying.  However any business decision is beyond the scope of the forums for me, and will leave it up to ArtCraft to finally come up with a solution to the hopes we have.

As far as paid for apps its something I deal with on a regular basis, and have solutions and ideas, but will have to wait and see how it all works out.  I am just being upfront and honest with a business and putting out apps you have to make money somewhere.  Yet still being a fan of the game, it gets you pretty far, but to manage and maintain a large app like this, goes by the wayside if not constantly updated.

Over the years their has been many outstanding and unbelievable useful tools, the maps and strategic views just to name a few.