Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soulreaver

Ninja Ranger Patch - Balancing things

(Posted in the Bugs Thread - Reposted here to try and gather the issues with the ranger... These are my thoughts and ideas to balancing a class. I'd love your feedback/thought.

It is a mix of mechanics not working correct, as consept/ideas that are presently the state of the ranger. I know fully well that the Ranger is also a placeholder so some of it wont see the light of day...

I'm merely taking the stand : This is the class as is... not what she is intended on becomming.)

__Ranger Feedback :__

First off - very- nice surprise to have some much needed Ranger love last patch, it's been a really fun weekend - and I've had some really enjoyable group vs group sessions which gives food for thought.

The Raycast is a concern, I am still debating if its too powerful or not, it is though nice trying it out.

• If Raycast is here to stay - the Skill Tier giving the Ranger more range is presently a whole node dedicated to one ability : Richocette Shot. Might need a change/second look.

With that said there are still some "minor" mechanical issues which can be adressed which still aren't working for the class.

__Good and Bad :__

-Barrage : feels -very- responsive and fast. Haven't been able to test the damage out 100%, but it seems to be worth using again.

-Disengage : Not working on a reliable basis, it doesn't which makes it usable in combat. 

• Terrain impairs it and it wont work even around the smallest hills and changes in terrain.

• Distance Covered is less than distance run/moved.

• U can trigger it 5+ times in a row and just stacking the cooldowns visually on top of each other.

• The ability doesn't put you into Ranged tray. The speed of the animation seems slow, making it a bit faster might work/feel better.

• With the animation of the "jump/spin" and all the other fancy things. Is it intentional that it can be "bodyblocked". With all that fancy animation it would seem worth making it able to pass over opponents (I believe even Burrowed Duelists can block it).

- Richocette Shot :

• Bugs at times and roots you in place, only jumping unbugs it.

- Forest Step to Tendon Slice :

• Tendon Slice triggers at times before Forest Step.  Forest Step doesn't trigger at all at times. Feels faster at times, at others it feels line having concrete around the feet.

○ With the change to "C" a lowered CD on this ability can give back some of the survivability that was lost, around 20 seconds would be more reasonable. That is a balance issue and not a mechanic, I just snook it in here.

- Bombs :

• Not doing the knock up, and exploding when attached to stone or wood.

• Are the CC bombs provide controllable enough? Or would you rather see a different approach for CC from the ranger.

- Twin Surge to Lacerate :

• Refills you -entire- stamina bar, and not 150 stamina (Unless that is our entire stamina bar, of course).

- Stake :

• Only applies 100 Attack Power, even though the Tooltip say 200. Cast time - looks like its been lowered and it feels usable (at around 4 seconds now), it can be clipped by rolling at 2 seconds, don't know if this is intentional or not.. Is the slow it offers enough, or is it too easily ignored by the other classes.

- Left Click :

• Still slowed to 40% when charging... Not sure this is intentional compared to all other classes.

__General :__

- Arrows NOT stacking above 100 :

• Last patch we were able to bundle arrows to 200. I personally felt that was good enough, ensuring that we still had to keep up supply, while not running out mid combat. Now that they dont stack I once more have a lot of smaller stacks left which number anywhere from 1-45 or in that ball park. Anyone else finding this as a game mechanics which drive you away from playing the class?

- Hitbox :

• There is still a noticible difference in the hitbox compared to other classes. Is it too small or fine as is? What would be the problems in making it larger?

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

I feel like between the server lag, pin point raycast and hit boxes, unless the player was 100% potato, they could still avoid all shots. Maybe a visual indicator (like the fireball animation) would make it feel better, like a lit up arrow only visible to the ranger. 

I feel like between the server lag, pin point raycast and hit boxes, unless the player was 100% potato, they could still avoid all shots. Maybe a visual indicator (like the fireball animation) would make it feel better, like a lit up arrow only visible to the ranger. 

I totally agree..

​The hitbox is EXTREMELY hard to hit with - Even with Raycast.

Lag, rubberbanding and all that jazz is also making it near impossible. 

​The Ranger was viable when able to go melee, ATM though, C charges too slow and even in a prolonged fight U might not have it at your call. 

Edited by Soulreaver

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Is it just me or is the Ranger's 3rd arrow shot bugged.

When I am killing boars that are not moving, the arrow attack does no damage, though the animation does happen. I even tried equipping a different bow and changing my arrows but it hasn't changed anything.

I don't know how your C isn't coming up in fights...I think ranger C is one of the fastest charging C's in the game right now with the current iteration of soul power.

You can sit back and use your AoE rain of arrows shot (forget the name) and you can move while casting it now which is pretty great. That ability hits a ton of times and can hit a lot of people. On top of that you have 2 in melee tray, spamming 4 times. And you have bleeds...If you just run around the fight bleeding everything it ticks up crazy fast.

Though I do agree the hitboxs are tough to hit but not crazy so, I've found that just practicing on NPC mobs really helped improve my aim. You just have to have the little dot in the middle of the reticle on an enemy and it hits pretty reliably. The toughest thing to account for is just server lag and camera hitching.

I have praticed on npc mobs as well.

- Easy enough when knowing the Boards head box and the Cats neck.

- No possible on players. Try hitting a moving Confessor or Druid.

Fair enough. I guess I haven't had much experience in any 1v1s against druid or fessor.

But in group fights I've found it easy enough to throw arrows into a pile of enemies, and whoever it hits, 10-14k arrows is a lot of pressure regardless. And hitting the smaller targets I usually just wait for a hard CC on them and get 1 or 2 arrows on em then

I don't have problem tossing arrows around.  Nor hitting NPCs with these arrows. 

1. ​My issues are very UI related :
    1. You can't tell foe from all, all look the same aside from a small shield on the left or right of the name.  Names are white or red.   Seriously gives us the GREEN health bar on allies back.  It's a huge frustration.
    2. ​25m+ I can't even see if I'm hitting anything cause there is no game feedback (numbers disappear 25m+)
    3. ​If an ally blocks your view to a foe, you see you allys target frame not your enemys, thus also not hitting due to the size of the hitbox.
    4. With the size of the hit box you won't be hitting vs a half way decent opponent.
    5. Just to top it all off : Arrow are a hassle to make and no other class has this limitation, not only that but this is an Alpha testing fase, so it's really -unnessary- to make it as harsh as it is.  Arrow amount spendage on abilities is equally harsh - 1 v 1 Fight easily cost me 55 arrows.  15 v 15 I spend around 100 - 150 per clash. 
  2. Lag/Rubberbanding and so forth complicating things.
    1. All classes have problems when lag and rubberbanding of course.  Bar none have it as hard as the ranger in ranged tray.
      1. Smaller hitbox - With even a small amount of lag (with the spikes that are presently acknowledged in the game on top of everything) you just won't it cause your window of opportunity is so small.
      2. Charge time - Once u have a fully ramped up shot it will go off regardless of what you do meaning if there is a rubberband or a small amount of lag you will miss that shot, having to spend time recharging again.   (Bad comparisen incomming : You're not a machinegun firing Confessor where the size of the charge doesn't matter, they stack their sin and then explode their target.  You -have- to make that large charge hit.  In the same time it takes you to charge up a bow, the Confessor will have hit you 5 times (3 seconds passed).  You miss, he Absolve.  There is a -HUGE- difference.
      3. Lack of game feedback.

My problem mainly are that in large group fights your chances of hitting allies is just as big as hitting foes due to the UI, just as much as lag/mechanics.  

• You spend your time staring at the 'target' frame in the top left hand corner for an indicator of your target (looking at the name).  You loose some sense of direction and a lot of your situational awareness - cause this is your only way of telling the difference.

​I can do 1v1 just fine, and the ranger isn't far off the mark.  There are classes she can't touch unless her C is up.  There are classes which can't touch her.  This is a -balance- issue, and I'm not going to adress this.  That isn't what I'm talking about. Testing the ranger in 15 v 15 this weekend was not working, you move your eyes from the field of battle to see your target and you get flanked/overrun. 

She is awesome in 5v5.  Large scale... not at all, it's a huge mess and just tossing arrows around is not smart.    ​

​Is all this then an intentional feel of the class or is it unintentional? I don't know.

• How much of the class is place holding?!
  • Which abilities are here to stay?
  • Is this the direction of the class or is it only done this way to test for future classes utilisning the same mechanics (Stalker?)

Edited by Soulreaver