Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Gopvp - The First 5 Seconds Of A Duel - In Other Words Strategy?

oridi

Standard disclaimer - I'm not an experienced PvP'er and am currently flailing around in the PvP areas in a few other games to try and not die quite as fast when this game comes out. Put your patient hat on.

So- you're starting a 1v1 fight.  Maybe they've run around a corner and seen you and fire off a skill at you - you take a bit of damage but nothing serious. 

How do you know what to do next?  (stop laughing - I warned you I was a newblet) If' I was healing I'd have 3 or 4 options at the start of a fight depending upon how the combat opened but these options are based on a strategy based around healing.

Do I fire back as hard and as quickly as I can?  Do I use CC and just shut them down (which I'm not finding useful unless I'm trying to heal up because even if they're shut down they'll just pop right back up the millisecond I do any damage to them)?  I tried using a dot and then shutting them down and that actually worked pretty well except the time to fire off the dot then cc was enough for them to get me to half health.

Do I focus on my health and try to keep it at 3/4 and if I do how on earth do I have time to do any damage to them?  If I just blast them over and over it actually gets kind of tedious and it feels like one side or another wins based on how little lag they have.

I'm finding in my fights (1 win so far - lots and lots of losses) that the people that have uber gear and just come out blazing nonstop usually win.  Now this is PvP in a PvE Theme Park game so I'm not sure if it's just the environment or if that's what usually happens in PvP?

I also found that a lot of players go hopping around like crazy people and some folks run far away and then come back in 3 or 4 minutes.  They must need a lunch break.

So.  What is your thought process going into a 1v1 fight?  What drives your choices?

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

If your a healer, in the classical sense, you need heal and run.

And try to find some help.

They are probably spec to deal damage, and you are not, either wait till they dump and are on cool downs then do what you can or heal and run.

Edited by getz

If I get attacked I first try to run and yell "please let me live". Then if they're still not nice I can always drop items on the ground.

Yea like this^.

LMAO

Standard disclaimer - I'm not an experienced PvP'er and am currently flailing around in the PvP areas in a few other games to try and not die quite as fast when this game comes out. Put your patient hat on.

So- you're starting a 1v1 fight.  Maybe they've run around a corner and seen you and fire off a skill at you - you take a bit of damage but nothing serious. 

How do you know what to do next?  (stop laughing - I warned you I was a newblet) If' I was healing I'd have 3 or 4 options at the start of a fight depending upon how the combat opened but these options are based on a strategy based around healing.

Do I fire back as hard and as quickly as I can?  Do I use CC and just shut them down (which I'm not finding useful unless I'm trying to heal up because even if they're shut down they'll just pop right back up the millisecond I do any damage to them)?  I tried using a dot and then shutting them down and that actually worked pretty well except the time to fire off the dot then cc was enough for them to get me to half health.

Do I focus on my health and try to keep it at 3/4 and if I do how on earth do I have time to do any damage to them?  If I just blast them over and over it actually gets kind of tedious and it feels like one side or another wins based on how little lag they have.

I'm finding in my fights (1 win so far - lots and lots of losses) that the people that have uber gear and just come out blazing nonstop usually win.  Now this is PvP in a PvE Theme Park game so I'm not sure if it's just the environment or if that's what usually happens in PvP?

I also found that a lot of players go hopping around like crazy people and some folks run far away and then come back in 3 or 4 minutes.  They must need a lunch break.

So.  What is your thought process going into a 1v1 fight?  What drives your choices?

Oridi, it's dangerous to go alone, take this! /throwsellie

But on topic, well I've never played a PvP only MMO so you'll probably have to wait for some of the more bloodthirsty to show up.  But from my personal experience I tended to try to keep them CC'd as much as possible then try to get some distance before trying to wittle them down bit by bit.

Between dreams and reality.

Lantern Watch

First one big point: Dueling PvP is not that great of a measuring stick for open world PvP. As you are finding out the people that sit around in most games spamming duel at people are geared out to the max. This is what they do alot of so they are very good at this limited style of combat. Open world PvP comes in many forms and flavors and is not 100% gear based from a 1 v 1 encounter through small group warfare 10 v 10 up to multiples groups in games that support that.

1 v 1 is only good for learning your own character, which powers/skills work best for the amount of investment in cast time or mana or stamina. An example:

A heal that heals for 500 but takes 5 secs to cast and 100 mana is not as good as a heal that heals for 125, takes 1 sec to cast and costs 20 mana per cast because the faster but lower per cast heal actually does more healing for the same amount of mana over the same length of time. The same principal works for damage especially if the game has some type of disable CC be it fear or stun. The longer it takes to cast the more likely you will be CC'ed out of it. Conversely save your biggest damage ability for use after you have CC'ed especially if it is something like a stun which makes them stand there and do nothing for a specified amount of time. The next best time to use it is after they have used their CC and it is on cooldown.

Another thing to keep in mind, you don't just need to know your own powers but also your opponents. For example if you know that what you are facing has what is called a "root break" (A root forces a character to stand in one spot) and it has a recast of 1 min and you have two Root CC's one lasts 2 secs and the other 10 secs. Use the 2 Sec root on them to try and get them to use the root break on it, then you can use the 10 sec one to either close and beat on them or open the distance for range damage or to escape.

Edited by gauis

Different games have different nuances that one must consider entering and during a fight.  Class match-ups are also important.  The thought process should be something based on what knowledge you have on how the match-up works, and having a basic plan of attack based on what you believe will be effective.  After that the fight unfolds and you really just have to apply what you know constantly throughout the fight to figure out the best course of action. 

To be a really good pvper in any of the really popular games you have to have a wealth of knowledge, it takes a lot of time and experience to gather that knowledge.  Often times you can find guides online that will give you some pretty good advice on certain match-ups or scenarios, but in the end you have to go out and play it yourself and just develop a natural feel for how things are paced and executed. 

If I get attacked I first try to run and yell "please let me live". Then if they're still not nice I can always drop items on the ground.

My pvp skills aren't amazing either, i'd say.

I wasn't very good at combat in Shadowbane and Darkfall, and I actually used this tactic quite a bit when I got ambushed or surprised. Surprisingly, it actually worked about 40% of the time. Especially if the person recognized my name; though depending on the person, that was sometimes an instant death sentence rather than a chance at mercy.