Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thyla

Increase of combat mobility

Combat mobility  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the ATs to be more mobile in combat ?

• Yes, more mobility would add to the combat experience
    • No, more mobility would negatively impact combat

Hi all,

in the title I especially focus on combat mobility, as I think mobility in general will be a different experience when mounts (and potentially other ways of travel) are introduced to the game.

As I experience combat as it is today, I feel that running around while fighting is extremely basic, and trying to flee or catch up with a fleeing opponent feels longdrawn and tedious. Also using movement in combat, despite it being non-tab target combat system has very little impact on the outcome.

Sprinting is only a minor speed increase, and comes at the cost of not being able to use RMB for a quick dodge (not even talking of the new knight here), and most movement relevant powers are on rather long cooldowns.

The basic movement speed is so slow, that evading a shot or especially a close range power will most likely never happen.

So in many scenarios fighting would hardly change if people just faced each other spamming LMB and powers compared to actually moving around and trying to attack in a more clever way.

The only classes that can actually utilize this differently are the Druid, the Confessor and to a certain degree the Ranger.

If you can, please consider combat movement in itself and the opportunities it offers, and don´t think about balancing the AT against each other as they are at this stage. We all know there is no balance right now, and that all numbers will likely get revamped at a later polishing stage.

One of the worst, but not unique, examples for me is the Myrmidon. I think it feels quite horribly limited to move around on that cow.

Another negative example for me (and yes, disregard balance here), is the change to Confessor. Did Confessor movement need a twitch ? Well, I don´t hink so, because in this game everything revolves around characters NOT having the same speed and movement options, which is really hard to balance out, but I do know that many do think it needed a change.

But it could have been changed in different ways, like leaving in the jump at the end, but maybe reducing distance from 20+9 to 17+7, punishing a fail even more, but rewarding a more "skilled movement" on the other hand.

Same goes in a different way for all classes, increase speed, add small twitches or reduce skill cooldowns, or best, all of the above. 

Removing combat movement from the complete combat equation closes down an alley that feels very rewarding for the players who put effort into utilizing it, and is another way in which also new players joining the game late, can close a bit of the gap and be a tad better in combat than others.

So all in all pls drop a vote, signalling if you think that more mobility has the potential to enhance the combat experience, or if you think that all is good as is.

Edited by Thyla

Mobility is atm something I would love to see tweaked.

Just to sum up :
- Squishy classes get a lot of mobility, which makes perfect sense. Problem arise when the exact same classes also get some of the ready on command cc.
A: The confessor is a great example of this. With high mobility - exellent CC and only two abilities she is crushing. She can kite in a manner that other classes cant compete.
B : Druid is a second example. She is self percivering and can just run and heal up.

So...
- If mobility is given to classes it should be those that lack a catching up ability. They are too hindered especially with the new changes to the C.

In short : no thanks to more mobility - just edit the faceroll ease of the confessor for example.

Edited by Soulreaver

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

The issue is the lack of CC across the archetypes.

Myrm obviously has no issue here.

Knight has some issue, he has a pull but its hard to land and then the follow up CC is sort of not there.

Champ is a joke.

Duelist is..tricky in the best case. If has his pips pre fight then theres a chance he can stun lock.

Lego has a decent snare on his RMB and really good base movement speed, he still cant quite catch a confessor but i dont think he is ment to.

Confessor is the mobility/CC king. Comes from his low cooldowns on his two CC's and his long dashing.

Druid has great mobility but last consistent CC.

Ranger has a suppress but its not something that can be used in a chase.

So it seems the issue is more of the archetypes are not equal with their consistent CC. But the question has to be, are they supposed to be? Do we all give them stuns/slows/roots? How much do we try and make them the same before they become generic.

I think currently the game has more than enough mobility, in some cases maybe to much, but thats okay. POI's will hopefully bring fighting in closer and fleeing means you will lose your poorly made socks.

CfWBSig.png

Tvh the only that really needa a change is the Confessor.

Leave the mobility. Remove some of the cc

Maybe not remove, double the cooldown. But honestly, that goes for all CC, double all the CC cooldowns. 

Is there a valid reason any HARD CC should be less then 30 second cooldown?

CfWBSig.png

Yah I share opinions with a lot of the posts in this thread. Though in my ideal game, each AT would bring something specialized to the table that other AT's can't necessarily bring. The only problems I see with the current mobility system is like fessors who can pretty much outrun any AT that can actually kill them...and also have pretty heavy CC on short cooldowns. 

I'd rather see the fessor be the mobile damage dealer, and something like the knight be the CC heavy AT (obviously there can be some overlap, but in general knight should have more lock-down potential than the highest DPS in the game), and then something like a ranger can bring soft CC, and the maybe the druid brings a hard root, etc. So picking group composition isn't just "ok, fessor does better DPS and CC and mobility than any other DPS so let's bring them. And myrm does better DPS and CC than any other tank so let's bring them"

I'd really like to be able to tweak my group composition based around the style that that group wants to play, rather than bringing just whatever does everything best.

So I guess I got off topic but, discrepancy in mobility is fine...just as long as that discrepancy doesn't also come with major discrepancy in every other aspect of combat, like the fessor and myrm are currently.

I'd really like to be able to tweak my group composition based around the style that that group wants to play, rather than bringing just whatever does everything best.

X2 @signed

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

As I experience combat as it is today, I feel that running around while fighting is extremely basic, and trying to flee or catch up with a fleeing opponent feels longdrawn and tedious. Also using movement in combat, despite it being non-tab target combat system has very little impact on the outcome.

Sprinting is only a minor speed increase, and comes at the cost of not being able to use RMB for a quick dodge (not even talking of the new knight here), and most movement relevant powers are on rather long cooldowns.

The basic movement speed is so slow, that evading a shot or especially a close range power will most likely never happen.

So in many scenarios fighting would hardly change if people just faced each other spamming LMB and powers compared to actually moving around and trying to attack in a more clever way.

Heh, this was practically my exact feedback when they changed combat to be less TERA and more Darkfall. I don't see it changing in any way that will satisfy you, Thyla. There are too many vocal people who enjoy the aspects of combat you (and I) find fault in.

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

Lets maybe not completely turn this in to a CC and balancing direction.

ACE has clearly decided that classes don´t move equally, not even in base movement speed. So no matter what you tweak on which AT, there will always be an AT that can kite all other ATs obviously.

(On a sidenote: In Confessor defence, kiting a good Myrm can´t be done.)

What I would like to focus a bit more on is the raise of mobility for all, also including movement and sprinting speed and duration, so that in a fight players actually get the opportunity to maybe dodge blows and powers by good movement, and can also sprint much more freely.

You'd have hated the initial drafts of combat.

I believe the opposite to be true. There was purpose to movement, animations had inherent movement that made ATs feel unique, and dodging abilities could put significant distance between you and someone trying to murder you.

Gah, I'm feeling wistful again.  :blush:

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

Im gonna give my Bias opinion.

Combat is pretty slow and bland atm. No real depth at all. Ya there is a little bit of aiming but the hitboxes are so masive their isnt a huge skill ceiling in anything. People think adding a couple more classes with most likely the same Uninteresting skills is going to make for more dynamic combat, Its not.

I played confessor because it catered to my playstyle High mobility able to string outnumbered people out and kill them. Now with the new C change and the lack of the Hop the class is very boring and almost impossible to fight outnumbered against any 2+ players with a brain and CC abilities. Just running around the map now is tedious and boring.

We need alot less CC if there is going to be this lack of movement. 8 second knock downs and stuns are pretty bad for a Looting game. I like the way Darkfall did CC. By physics and Knockbacks not by just a Complete loss of your characters control.

Sprint is useless.

Edited by wor

Grief-super-small.png

https://twitch.TV/Badatron  

https://www.GriefGaming.pro

Is mobility sufficient for the current PvP model?  Yes.  

I agree we need to focus on CC.  Consistent CC availability, durations, cooldowns, etc.   Someday we'll also need better defensive measures.

---

I prefer far, far more mobility in games.  But having come from a few that require a VPN to overcome lag during PvP, I'll accept less.

---

Crowfall's whole PvP model is part of the problem, since it's average at best.  If they release this Tera- or GW2-esque system, slowed down as it is, we all better hope they're perfect on everything else.  LoLegends succeeded with items, effects, coordination, and epic design.  CU is trying customizations, skill interactions, and massive battles.  Others use wall-jumping, twitch, and all-axis freedom (Titanfall, Doom3 et al, Star Citizen).

---

The current list of CF features ... bah.   Whether you like them or not, they're far too vague to clearly compensate for lackluster PvP, so playtesters will continue to question everything, incl mobility.    I.e. the poll is unfortunately moot.

• Voxel destruction and persistent worlds:  unclear what type of strategic elements will add true value.
  • Manual targeting:  not particularly important without speed.  
  • Class switching:  requires VIP; ATs are not sufficiently distinct.  (Druid is distinct, Champion=Knight=Myrmidon are not.)
  • Eternal kingdoms:  no major integration with CWs and PvP; limited to really nice house instances & revenue generation.
  • Crafting:  nice-to-have for 1/3 the players, not important for 1/3, annoying for 1/3
  • Rule-based campaigns:  TBD.  Possibly the area of most success, precisely because they can offset PvP deficiences.

But it could have been changed in different ways, like leaving in the jump at the end, but maybe reducing distance from 20+9 to 17+7, punishing a fail even more, but rewarding a more "skilled movement" on the other hand.

Same goes in a different way for all classes, increase speed, add small twitches or reduce skill cooldowns, or best, all of the above. 

I would love this. 

I believe the opposite to be true. There was purpose to movement, animations had inherent movement that made ATs feel unique, and dodging abilities could put significant distance between you and someone trying to murder you.

Gah, I'm feeling wistful again.  :blush:

I am glad this was in the bottom 5% of opinion.

CfWBSig.png

I played confessor because it catered to my playstyle High mobility able to string outnumbered people out and kill them. Now with the new C change and the lack of the Hop the class is very boring and almost impossible to fight outnumbered against any 2+ players with a brain and CC abilities. Just running around the map now is tedious and boring.

I don't realy get what you meant. I think it's pretty normal that you'd get kill in a 1v2 with a ranged mage. If they're able to gapclose you, it's pretty normal that you die.

Confessor was just too strong, I honnestly don't think that it's normal for an archetype to win 2+ players fight alone. Probably a lot more balanced now. You also said that it's boring to run alone in the map, Crowfall is a guild oriented game, pretty normal that you arent able to do lot of things alone, still an mmorpg.

I don't realy get what you meant. I think it's pretty normal that you'd get kill in a 1v2 with a ranged mage. If they're able to gapclose you, it's pretty normal that you die.Confessor was just too strong, I honnestly don't think that it's normal for an archetype to win 2+ players fight alone. Probably a lot more balanced now. You also said that it's boring to run alone in the map, Crowfall is a guild oriented game, pretty normal that you arent able to do lot of things alone, still an mmorpg.

I think it's fair to say that a large portion of players who pick the game up after launch will be solo, and a bad solo experience will definitely turn them away . Now I'm not saying turn the game upside down and inside out just to cater to solo players, but it's definitely something the devs should pay attention to if they want to attract more customers and maintain a healthy population.

Edited by helix