Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vonpenguin

Legionnaire revamp

So, the knight's recent rework got me thinking about the other classes. And since out of the original three the confessor seems to be on fairly solid ground from the opinions I've seen I got thinking about what they could do to the class I've been a fan of since day one. the legionnaire.

So like most people, I agree that the lego needs to be dialed back a bit, as it stands it is probably one of the top three in any given category except for pure damage output. But this is more about making it interesting and distinct than pure balance talk.

So I like Rage powering their attacks, mythologically centaurs were pretty angry a lot of the time and it works differently enough from the similarly named resources of the Myrmidon and Champion. I also like their 4 attack and the idea that they need to hobble their enemy to be effective and to help the group. This also applies to their base combo and the snare it gives. I think the Lego support needs more of this overall, as well as more things like the resource charging of their 6 and the crit bonus of their C. While I'm not opposed to healing in general I think the Legionnaire should serve his support roll more as an aura buffer emphasizing what are currently the secondary effects of his heals, and an attack based debuffer. Lower the damage of his charge and add a moderate "demoralized" state to any target damaged, Lower below of triumph's heal and give it a damage buff while the heal is in effect. Shorten the aoe of eternal rage and rallying cry, and flip it so the non heal bonuses are the primary motivators. A different focus than the primarily heal based Druid and a larger highlight of the mobility being glued to a horse grants you would help make them feel more unique than what they currently play as, which is the same kind of sturdy frontline healer that always shows up the second someone tries to make a healer that isn't a clothie.

Thoughts?

more speed utility, more fighting potential, less OP healing - yes.

all other - no. probably will be tuned via disciplines

he is already very playable (boring, but useful) AT. why they need to spent some time to break something what already worked ok? I mean there are champion, ranger and other AT which need some "fixing" first

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

Well Ranger needs help yeah. Personally I never had issue playing Champions.

The key part here is boring. Not sure how much Disciplines will shake things up but the core class at the moment is too simple. Too stock healer. It has potential to be an incredibly interesting class, but right now it's playing it too close to a straight healer instead of an interesting support. Druid at least has the fun twist of balancing life and death powers. If support just means healer then call it healer.

And obviously fix what's broken first. I'm just theory crafting since they are clearly making some second passes on the older archetypes. Hypotheticals are fun.

If they strip the legionnaire of heals I'm afraid TTK will plummet (unless they promptly buff the Druids support ability to compensate). Hell TTK is pretty low as it is. I mean, I don't think bellow is game breaking. It can save someone if they keep moving but it's not going to save someone that's been piled on. Rally cry is the only real life saver ATM and it sits behind a SP wall.

I do agree that the legionnaire needs better offense options tho. Not a whole lot,of room tho with a bar that small.

Edited by helix

TTK? Sorry, not a piece of slang I've come across before. Though part of my whole gripe here is that druids should be the primary healer with Legionnaires being supportive in other ways.

I'm not suggesting they strip it completely, just play up other supportive aspects, defense buffs, cooldown bonuses, something. I didn't suggest bellow was an amazing heal, honestly as far as heals go the cost is too high for the cooldown and heal amount. Which honestly is a point in favor of keeping it as is. a spot heal that is more an in case of emergency than a go-to.

I'll admit, I might just be nostalgic for early day City of Heroes where a non-healer support was completely viable (If you ignored the pugs that would kick you once they realized you didn't have the heal tree).

People seem to hate the idea of legionnaires being the main healer because they want centaurs to be kicking ass in melee and doing other things, and yet the game only has 2 support ATs, one of which can only be healing for approximately 50% of the time due to the essence mechanic. So any nerfs to legio healing means groups will go down super fast with the amount of burst damage being thrown around right now. Heck, we saw some of that last weekend with the slight nerf legio C received by the Soul Power mechanic. 

So I guess either they need to decrease damage values on some of those more bursty powers, or we hope that discipline runestones (and off healing ATs like templar) will provide enough healing to keep groups going without having to rely on legionnaires. But right now TTK (time to kill) in coordinated group engagements is just ridiculously low. Nerfing legio healing any further and fights will become (even more of) a joke. I would love a legio revamp with more interesting healing mechanics, but the game's ratio of damage to heal needs to be taken into account as well. 

For me it's not "kicking ass in melee" it's just that they need support through other means. Damage resistance or attack debuffs would cause the same effect of keeping the group alive.The druid needs a buff, and honestly I doubt every group under the sun will have one of those two archetypes so balancing should be made with groups that lack heals as a consideration.

As an aside, once the quickbars are editable I'd like to see how healing potions alter the perception of how important healing abilities attached to the character are.

Once we mused that the Legio might even be a cavalry type character, where his mass and charge mattered in a physics based combat system. However, that is not the route ACE chose.  Much has been written about how the Legio could be revamped for the last year or so, even in his support category. This board and many testing feedback threads are full of suggestions.  Of course, feel free to make suggestions but, at this point, I'm just going to wait and see what ACE is going to do with him.  For now, I am really looking forward to the FM reveal. 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

You have to remember we are not testing an equal playing field, some folks have combat skills and are all in on DAMAGE and playing things like the Templar and getting the best weapon that they have saved for weeks to get. 

Yes that will be the same as in release, but in release you have a playerbase making things and vast roadblocks to the pure killer perspective. 

And old school healing is a thankless task, and in a pvp game extremely stressful. It has to be fire and forget or the entire meta will be about kill the healer first. And Everything will hinge on that. It still does to an extent but at least with the lego you get a huge target. 

Legios fill the role of offensive healer well because of mobility and fire forget Hots...   Druid is more an area control defensive healer probably working very well with Templar based (also very good at area control) defensive groups.  Note that the druid gets an additional 250 support power very late in the game a year out? and maxes out higher than legio at 585...   end of basic AT skill tree, while the Legio gets its 500 support power from the AT line much much earlier in the T6 nodes...   Legio is probably meant to have the lowest player skills...  which also means boring to many of us.  But boring does not mean it is not extremely useful.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Dps, burst dmg, CC, and heals all need to be adjusted in relation to eachother.

But yes Legio is screwed and one dimensional. He lacks his old mobility with a broken 1 charge that is slower than sprinting and in 4.3 they slowed his left click to add insult to injury.

The class needs an overhaul. I wouldn't get to worried though. Most of the classes need full overhauls and rebalanced and should get them once the ATs are all in game.

Just started playing so I can only go by what I'm reading and the numbers I can access for each class (wish that the base client had some sort of training arena where I could test out things solo even if just against target dummies), but it seems like the Legionnaire could have a their healing downed, and instead more of a focus put on other forms of stat boosting for the party around them? Def/evade boosts, lowering cool downs, a support class who acts far more as a force multiplier than a healer, but with a few basic 'emergency pop' heals to keep somebody from dying for a few more seconds?