Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Templar powers & FX - Official discussion thread

Recommended Posts

Well we definitely have tanks now, so I'm not sure I agree. I guess I'm just worried this will allow Templars to go for low-damage/high-tankiness builds, and rely on their execute damage to still destroy squishy archetypes.

 

Two thoughts. First, this is a pvp game, makkon is right: we don't have tanks. At least not "tanks" in the sense that every other MMORPG means them, i.e. a guy that taunts the boss mob and focuses 100% on defense. Every Crowfall tank class needs damage and CC and other offensive things, because he can't taunt players. His defense is worthless if enemies can just ignore him (look at the Knight). Likewise every Crowfall dps needs defense or escape or range (2 out of 3 at least), because he can't rely on his group's tank to taunt and take the aggro.

 

Granted the balance is awful right now, we have tanks with amazing defense and offense, and dps with terrible defense and offense. But that's a balance issue, not a design issue; the problem is that Myrmidon and Champion need tuning, not that there's something fundamentally wrong with giving tank classes some damage.

 

Second thing: I'm confused why you singled out execute. It won't help someone who focuses entirely on defense, it only does the really high bonus damage when the target gets to <20%. How would a defensive tank do the other 80% of someone's hp bar? It's not an ability that any spec can "rely" on for damage, it's a way to finish the fight when you've already almost won by other means. But I don't want to get derailed by that - Crowfall does have extremely hard hitting abilities without restrictions on tank classes, I just wouldn't pick execute as an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note can someone tell me how long templar archetype training has been in game already?  I started training it sometime in the last test, but my good friend and guildmate facerip claims to already be well-into his chastisement training and I am not even done with the first option.

I've been training it for just over a week I think. That's when I noticed and I immediately jumped on it.


231e101d88.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How am I the first person to mention how goofy she looks walking forwards all stiff with that giant sword sticking out like that?

 

 

like there for 3s

 

that's gotta be the worst animation you guys have done so far. I love it, never get rid of it.

I agree with you, except about not fixing it.

 

They should fix


MOkvLlm.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend's test got cancelled btw. We have to wait another week to play her or wait for a snap test (most of them are not really EU friendly).

Sources:

 


ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I know what Archtype will be my main now!  lol.  I love the light effects on the Templar.  Reminds me of what EQN was trying to do with their Cleric class.  a Warrior who can dish out damage as well as healing and be able to be good at doing both. 

Edited by Mezcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This weekend's test got cancelled btw. We have to wait another week to play her or wait for a snap test (most of them are not really EU friendly).

 

Sources:

 

 

The tough choices these guys make for the better of the game always impresses me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This weekend's test got cancelled btw. We have to wait another week to play her or wait for a snap test (most of them are not really EU friendly).

 

Sources:

 

 

Hopefully they fix the hokey ass templar run animation as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two thoughts. First, this is a pvp game, makkon is right: we don't have tanks. At least not "tanks" in the sense that every other MMORPG means them, i.e. a guy that taunts the boss mob and focuses 100% on defense. Every Crowfall tank class needs damage and CC and other offensive things, because he can't taunt players. His defense is worthless if enemies can just ignore him (look at the Knight). Likewise every Crowfall dps needs defense or escape or range (2 out of 3 at least), because he can't rely on his group's tank to taunt and take the aggro.

 

Granted the balance is awful right now, we have tanks with amazing defense and offense, and dps with terrible defense and offense. But that's a balance issue, not a design issue; the problem is that Myrmidon and Champion need tuning, not that there's something fundamentally wrong with giving tank classes some damage.

 

Second thing: I'm confused why you singled out execute. It won't help someone who focuses entirely on defense, it only does the really high bonus damage when the target gets to <20%. How would a defensive tank do the other 80% of someone's hp bar? It's not an ability that any spec can "rely" on for damage, it's a way to finish the fight when you've already almost won by other means. But I don't want to get derailed by that - Crowfall does have extremely hard hitting abilities without restrictions on tank classes, I just wouldn't pick execute as an example.

 

There are tanks, they just don't taunt. Like you said, they use cc. The knight has pursuit and the chain pull, Myrms have net and knockdowns/stuns, Templar is more a tank in planting auras that boost group staying power sense. These are all things that draw attention to them, because if you don't do something to lock them down or kill them then they disrupt your damage dealers too much. And they don't need all that much mobility to tank if you consider that the most important fights are going to be over castles and POIs, with an objective to attack and defend a battleline will form and people will have to come to the tank classes. Knights and Templas might lose effectiveness in random skirmishes but when something major is on the line a line of those two archetypes with some rangers and stalkers behind them won't need to move much.

 

And exectute can still be insane of tanks if they have an ally get the target down enough to do the finisher. Without seeing the numbers don't know if this will be a problem with that power in particular of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Templar looks very nice and I am sure folks will enjoy playing her.  One thing I noticed, however, is that she has a self buff that allows her to heal her group mates for the damage she does--something I hoped (and perhaps a few others) would go to the Legionnaire to insure his front line support status.  On the plus side, maybe the Legio could be less overall healery now that the Templar is in the game?

 

Perhaps more importantly, however, is the discussion of the next AT... 

 

"There's men underground, who've never seen the sun, but they really know how to party..."

 

(But I'm not biased...)

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I was not interested at all about the templar.

 

And then I saw her RMB.

 

Please ACE, add such a RMB to all melee character. :P

 

 

I actually like this idea! Except for Champion and Myrmidon...who shouldn't be worrying about black/parry/dodge but only damage.

 

Templar - 2H Sword Parry

Knight - Shield Block

Legionnaire - Shield Block

Duelist - Rapier Parry

Ranger - Long Dagger Parry (when in the Dagger tray)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...