Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Verot

Schedule Thoughts

Looking at the last couple of archetypes that have been released it seems to take a little over 2 months from the time a new archetype is announced until they are playable. This is based primarily on the news feed.

Myrmidon - Announced June 16th. In Action August 23rd.

Guinecean - Announced August 25th. Powers UI November 4th.

Templar - Announced November 22nd. Powers UI Feb 9th.

Again, as far as we can tell this is for the basic kit of each archetype and does not include additional power/animations for the various disc/promotion abilities which will be available later down the line.

We still have 4 archetypes to go, Stalker, Frostweaver, Assassin, and Forgemaster.  I think its fairly safe to say that we are looking at the end of this year before we have the full compliment of archetypes released and playable.

We have yet to hear any further details on disciplines and promotions which are pivotal to character development. Its not just the conceptualization of how the disciplines will work but also the artwork that has to go into the animations for each of the archetypes which will be able to equip them. From the previously released spreadsheet that listed out the numerous disciplines, this will be a serious undertaking and it will be interesting to see how they will release them. My guess is they will release disciplines a few at a time as they progress through the animations, similar to how they have rolled out the archetypes. 

We still have other large features which have yet to be implemented.

- Mounts

- POIs

- Caravans

- Thralls

- Campaign Win Conditions

- Guild/Sub-Guild/Alliance Management

- EK (we are supposedly close to testing this)

- NPCs other than skeletons/boars/zombie dogs

Where does that put us for a realistic "soft" launch? Mid 2018?

Keep in mind we don't know how far along any of those are, or how previous archetypes could speed the remaining four. As an example, the Duelist finally gave use stealth and they've already talked about some of the rangers melee powers jumping to the assassin, so she'll probably go considerably fast than we might otherwise expect.

But I'd say mid 2018 is probably not a terrible guess. After all even if they gave us everything next Friday they'd still need to do polish and balancing.

But I'd say mid 2018 is probably not a terrible guess. After all even if they gave us everything next Friday they'd still need to do polish and balancing.

Unless they plan on releasing an unfinished product, I think even this is optimistic. Not trying to be negative mind you, but given the rate that current content is being released, and given the sheer amount of content still on the table (shared system architecture or not), I would be shocked if it was before that. 

Well.. as a developer I can say it depends how generic the game engine is build. For example:  

Not generic -> Programmers make a piece of code for mounts... To implement Pack Mule they code a pack mule

Generic -> Programmers make a piece of code for 4 legged player pets .. The mount is derived from that code with something extra.. same for the pack mule

Basicly generic coding speeds up development. We don't know how their backend looks like, but based on the experience of Crowfall team and their comment in a YT video that the comming months development will speed up drastic as the basis is almost done, that they are doing things the smart way :)

• Mounts
  • POIs
  • Caravans
  • Thralls
  • Campaign Win Conditions
  • Guild/Sub-Guild/Alliance Management
  • EK (we are supposedly close to testing this
  • NPCs other than skeletons/boars/zombie dogs

I scratched off the things I think they can get away with NOT having at soft launch (but that will most likely be added fairly soon after).

• Mounts
  • POIs
  • Caravans
  • Thralls

I scratched off the things I think they can get away with NOT having at soft launch (but that will most likely be added fairly soon after).

I don't think they can get away with not adding more mobs unless they want leather working to be terribly boring. We at least need bears, cows, and elks even if they wait on the griffins and wyverns.

Well.. as a developer I can say it depends how generic the game engine is build. For example:  

Not generic -> Programmers make a piece of code for mounts... To implement Pack Mule they code a pack mule

Generic -> Programmers make a piece of code for 4 legged player pets .. The mount is derived from that code with something extra.. same for the pack mule

Basicly generic coding speeds up development. We don't know how their backend looks like, but based on the experience of Crowfall team and their comment in a YT video that the comming months development will speed up drastic as the basis is almost done, that they are doing things the smart way :)

This is what I'm betting on 

Of all the items remaining, I feel the Discipline and Promotion systems being implemented along with the associated additional character animations will be the one thing that takes the longest.

Complete assumption but its the basis of my reasoning. Lets do some sloppy math.

Lets assume there are 50 disciplines and that each of those disciplines add an average of 2 new skills for 50% of the archetypes.

50*2*6.5 = 650 additional animations for disciplines.

Lets also assume that each promotion class adds 1 new skill per archetype

3 Promotion classes per archetype

13 * 3 = 39 additional animations.

So a rough estimate of approximately 700 additional animations need to be completed.

Right now we have approximately 15-20 animations per archetype.

3 for Left Click

1 for Right Click

1 for C key

1 for E key

6 for basic skills

N for branches in our 6 basic skills

Some archetypes have more skills, like the Druid and Ranger who have multiple trays, but for the sake of arguments lets just use an average of 30 animations per archetype. The hypothesized disc/promotion animations would be on par with creating animations for nearly 23 additional archetypes. Yes some of those animations will be similar but many of them will still need to be tweaked and customized because of different equipment sets and range of motion for the various body types.

Will be fun to see it all come together though. 

Edited by Verot

• Mounts
  • POIs
  • Caravans
  • Thralls

The only way thralls could be ignored, would be if they left the crafting pots in and increased the volume of resource drops.  

Right now we burn through more resources in experimenting and fails than a model that uses BP's would.

That does not even include thralls as POI guards and such, which is the one way that I know they have talked about that helps with the 24/7 problem.

So I don't see thralls as optional.

Keep in mind we don't know how far along any of those are, or how previous archetypes could speed the remaining four. As an example, the Duelist finally gave use stealth and they've already talked about some of the rangers melee powers jumping to the assassin, so she'll probably go considerably fast than we might otherwise expect.

The Duelist is far from anything I would consider stealth.  My guess is they did a trick, where they offset the position of the body to be just below the terrain, and then put the poop hat on top.  You can tell the model is still there when you nudge up on a rock etc.  I would not consider this stealth, especially when other players can tell where you are at.

Stealth is the ability to hide, or go invis; we need the SB style stealth before I can say we have stealth in the game.

lUvvzPy.png

Of all the items remaining, I feel the Discipline and Promotion systems being implemented along with the associated additional character animations will be the one thing that takes the longest.

Complete assumption but its the basis of my reasoning. Lets do some sloppy math.

I don't expect the animations for each discipline+archetype combo to get the same level of detail and attention as the core archetype animations. They could even reuse a small number of generic animations (maybe a couple different attacks and one buff/heal) for all the disciplines, or maybe reuse animations from core skills.

Admittedly this would compromise the telegraphing system i.e. being able to tell visually what an opponent is about to do to you. But realistically, would it even be possible for every discipline skill to have a unique animation - unique enough for players to notice the difference in the middle of combat, and remember which skill it corresponds with?

Of course there's a lot of grey area between "unique animation for every discipline+archetype" and "one generic animation for all disciplines," and we don't have any idea where ArtCraft will put us on that scale, but I'm expecting something closer to the generic side. The (debatable) benefits of telegraphs for disciplines just don't seem worth chasing after.

Edited by Avloren

I don't think it can be too generic of an animation, lets assume that a myrmidon and druid can both take the same discipline. You have to account for animations with dual wield and two handed weapons along with potential range of motion movements for the character so that you dont have absurd movements.