Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mezcon

Question: Caves anyone?

So I was watching a video on what the Big world looks like, which btw, looks amazing!!  One thing that caught my eye is that in the current build, there are no caves or parcels with caves/caverns that are apart of it.  Does ACE ever intend to create parcels that have caves/caverns for players to explore?  I think I remember them talking about it during the kickstarter, I just was not sure if that was still apart of their plan.

I think this would be cool to have, not for a PvE reason really, because I know PvE is not the point of this game.  I think it would be cool if players could find caves and caverns where players could discover higher tier Ore deposites, fighting the occasional cave spider or bear that might inhabit these underground locations, or even ancient dungeons or abandoned mines to discover lost artifacts. 

Edited by Mezcon

Caves, subterranean dungeons...I really enjoy these in any game. They don't even have to be densely populated throughout a map

Just the occasional underground /something/ makes it feel like there is so much more to the world around you than just what you can see. Even if you put one long lane like the channel tunnel connecting England to the rest of Europe, you would create massive POI's and points of contention.

You know what, every server instance should have at least a subway system. You can have loads of entrances for a huge network of connective tunnel, and as the hunger.creeps in, entrances will be lost to it. I suppose the same affect could be had above ground with a network of aquaducts, archways, bridges, or massive trees. I like the dark tunnel aspect, but would encourage both. A flat plane doesn't offer much for encounters with other players and other groups. Let's get our chutes n ladders on.

Edited by goqua

if you can mine (which are generally tunnels and caves underground) then it suggests you might be able dig your one caves.  Hope so as it would add some additional variation to the landscape

Well if you think about it if that was possible the map would be filled with holes / caverns that people made, the best they could do is they can make places where in a certain area you can dig to find minerals and in that same area you can only have 1/2 holes or something.

Another this is the sieges .. if you dig everything in a siege you could just do a massive tunnel under the walls and wait fore the perfect time

B1GxB4NG, A Keeper of The Light

Would be interesting if, beneath the map, there were a series of subterranean parcels which could be mixed and matched despite the surface parcels. A few parcels would exist to connect the surface and underground as PoI, and if Guineceans could dig straight down, that would be awesome.

I'd say after they have the surface and the game worked out, they should definitely take a look at adding the underground.

I think they said you wouldnt be able to just start digging random holes in the ground like you could in Landmark.  But I am not sure. 

I apologize, I just read the FAQ, You will be fully able to dig any kind of hole or tunnels in campaigns.  Whether or not you will be able to find resources through this method I do not know yet.  But if you were in a mountain area that had a rich area of diamond quality ore, you could try digging there perhaps. 

One thing I liked about Landmark...back when EQN was still a thing...and Minecraft, was that if I was in a big procedurally generated cave and I got lost in it, I could just take my digging drill and just dig my way up to the surface, sometimes finding resources as I built that ascending tunnel. 

Edited by Mezcon

How about some Indiana Jones stuff?

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

this topic somewhat come up during last live stream environmental section - basically improvements to the program they use to generate landscape could lead to more dynamic and true changes in land heights to go 'down' (compared to current canyon which is ground level and goes up etc)

Edited by Tinnis