Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mezcon

Hunger Crusades - a small break from PvP

DISLAIMER: if ACE did anything like this, I would want them to wait at least two years after launch to perfect the game they have already.  Make campaigns perfect.  get the archetypes where they need to be, get crafting where it should be.  I want the game to be perfect before doing anything like this.  With that out of the way, here is my idea. 

​Crusades against the Hunger! 

3925318-icecrown-by-weyne.jpg

​Lore wise, as we know from campaigns, the Hunger is consuming world after world, and eventually, the Hunger will threaten our eternal kingdoms.  What if there was a small way to slow down the Hungers conquest of the galaxy.  We wouldn't be able to stop the Hunger all together because the Hunger consumes worlds faster than we can save them, but what if there was a way for a guild to liberate a world consumed by the Hunger?  A way to balance the scales so that the Hunger will always have worlds to go after without ever threatening our Eternal Kingdoms. Here is how I envision this going down.  Valkyn spawns his champions, a guild of Crows in a procedurally generated world right in the middle of its "winter season" where mobs are all Hunger Corrupted and it is the guilds mission to implant a device that will reverse the Hungers hold on that world temporarily.  The guild must fight entire hordes of undead  and corrupted creatures defending the device while it charges for detonation. Once this device activates, the world begins to transition to spring, and the mission is complete, allowing that world to have life again only temporarily until the Hunger starts to spread again, making it a site of a future campaign.

Gameplay wise, this would just serve as a small break from PvP for players who still enjoy PvE.  This mission would only last the length of a typical MMO dungeon (30-45 minutes), and would never replace the players need to go through campaigns.  You cannot get resources in these crusades because players have stripped those worlds already.  But I guess you could still get artifacts or cool mounts from the Gods as rewards for your success. 

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Mezcon

Theoretically I can see the potential. Lorewise the biggest issue is that the factional divides are based around the gods disagreements on the best way to fight the hunger, fighting it tooth and nail, which would play into this idea, vs strategically feeding it expendable worlds to try and save the rest, which wouldn't mesh (though could potentially lead to a similar PvE scenario involving crippling a world that the hunger is approaching).

I'd support adding in some PvE elements to the game-concept later on, but not quite how you've suggested.

I'll be honest, what you described sounds kind of like MOBA Gameplay in LoL, Dota. or Smite.  A short match focused around reaching and destroying an objective held by the other 'side'.  Not really what I want in my Crowfall experience.

I'm like the idea of adventuring into corrupted worlds by the Hunger as a form of PvE content. Just not sure as to what the point would be since, in theory, once the Hunger consumes a world it is destroyed (gameplay wise, the campaign ends and the save file is wiped). 

The danger here is rewarding PvE gameplay. What rewards do we bother with PvE for? Can't be equipment/weapons since ACE have made it clear that NPCs will never drop loot to compete with what players made(and I support that 100%). I don't feel that it should be crafting materials either, as that takes away from going to the harder CWs in The Dregs.

Does it sound fun? Yes, absolutely. 

If the fun is it's own reward, sign me up. I love the idea of a guild raid onto a corrupted world to fight against the nasties that are devouring what the player guilds left behind when the Hunger grew too strong. Maybe have these up as short CW's of their own. Corrupted realms that are only up for 2 weeks before being wiped. (Procedural world, raid level monsters/dragons or endless swarms of minions or all of it together :)  )

Maybe the PvE element can be something that guilds can throw resources taken from the Dregs level CW's at?

Order (Radiant) gods will deploy side attacking the device, Chaos (Dire) will deploy the side protecting it. And here we go MOBA. It would be fun to make in an event in 10 years, but is completely unnecessary.

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

Oh I wouldnt want this to last two weeks.  I would want the players to be in Campaigns.  This would be up to half an hour at most! The real issue with this idea is, how do we make it worth the players time?  And....I dont have a good answer for that.  But hey, that's ok.  Campaigns are where the focus needs to be to get resources for your kingdom

Edited by Mezcon

Well as a side idea it is pretty neat I think. As for rewards I would like to see mainly cosmetic stuff that doesn't impact anything besides the immersion. For example the hunger consumes worlds and corrupts species living in there. Would be nice if you could let's say salvage partly/whole bodies as trophies to show people "hey we have done that, been there". 

I mean swinging my imaginary paint brush - having a skeleton of a defeated pve campaign/dungeon/world/whatever boss (dragon, massive snake, etc.) as decoration for a guild hall would be pretty neat. 

Other rewards could be certain armor/weapon skins, etc. I would go so far and say make it similar to the super adventure box in GW2 or so.... just to lower the work load initially and to see how it goes. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Well as a side idea it is pretty neat I think. As for rewards I would like to see mainly cosmetic stuff that doesn't impact anything besides the immersion. For example the hunger consumes worlds and corrupts species living in there. Would be nice if you could let's say salvage partly/whole bodies as trophies to show people "hey we have done that, been there". 

I mean swinging my imaginary paint brush - having a skeleton of a defeated pve campaign/dungeon/world/whatever boss (dragon, massive snake, etc.) as decoration for a guild hall would be pretty neat. 

Other rewards could be certain armor/weapon skins, etc. I would go so far and say make it similar to the super adventure box in GW2 or so.... just to lower the work load initially and to see how it goes. 

Ya.  That's a cool idea.  Maybe reward blueprints for those skins or decorations for crafters to make in the eternal kingdom.

Lore wise, this could be considered a small expansion for maybe...4 or 5 years from now when ACE has got the game where they want it.  That Someone, maybe a genius alchemist who studied the trees of life, has uncovered a way to temporarily reverse the effects of the Hunger to slow down its spread.  So with the blessings of Arkon, knowing that his wife Gaea would be honored in such a mission, he sends out his champion Crows to implant the device of this Alchemist to sort of...terraform the world back to Spring.  But this reverse of the Hunger would not last, and eventually it would spread again. 

Edited by Mezcon

It's not a bad idea at face value. I enjoy PvE and it does fit neatly into the category of "something to do" 

I just don't want a Crowfall MOBA :P

in my vision, it will never be a moba.  your not fighting other players on some other team.  Its just a "dungeon" in WoW terms.