Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kraahk

Gate/Bridge Parcels - CW POI's and EK area access points

Gate/Bridge Parcels  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have gate/bridge parcels in Crowfall?

• Is that a question? I thought they would be definitely in.
    • Absolutely!
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.
    • Absolutely not!
    • Strawberry Cheese Cake

How about parcels that could be important strategical POI's in CW's and likewise regular access points in the EK's?

For example a bridge over troubled water (cough) or a high wall between one mountain and another. Something like in these pictures.

Bridge Parcel

This 1x1 parcel contains one huge and nearly 1 cell long bridge. The water is the same water that we have in empty cells. The only way to cross this parcel is to use the bridge (impassable). For EK purposes there might be a gate at one or both ends of the bridge. Like in Siege Perilous you can only pass the gate if you have the right to do so.

puente-romano-vistageneral-cordoba-c-Con

Mountain Gate Parcel

There can be different versions with different scales. The most simple one is a 1x1 parcel that consists of a huge impassable mountain with a small pass in it's middle that is closed by a wall with a gate.

mountain_gate_by_lov_i-d85mcrn.jpg

I think that such parcels could be a great addition to both campaigns and kingdoms.

What do you think about this kind of special parcels? Would you like to have them in the game?

edit: example pictures with more ingame relation in this posting below.

My thoughts:

My problem is, that i would like to be able to regulate the access to certain parts of my community kingdom. Parts dedicated to special player types who sometimes, well, don't really fit together. ;)  To give you an idea, this is one of my early concepts for the german community kingdom Rabenherz:

DZwJjxj.gif

Beeing able to grant/deny access to certain areas would be great. For example to spare roleplayers from any disturbances from non-roleplayers. Or to let people fight their turnaments without other people interferring. Or to let harvesters just harvest. You get the idea. Especially for community kingdoms, such gate/bridge parcels could solve a lot of problems.

But i could also imagine them being useful for guild kingdoms. You will only be able to enter the king isle, if you are a noble of the kingdom. Or new members will be restricted to a less safety-related area. And so on.

Even personal kingdoms could use them. An area that is open for visitors, and a private ilse or dale for friends only (or the monarch only).

(I could imagine Gate/Bridge parcels to be quite expensive, so you will really have to work to get one of them, so you will really have to want them.)

Up to now we don't know how accesses will be handled. In the CW's it is more or less simple: kill intruders on sight. The EK's will need some kind of access system for houses and strongholds. We don't know anything about this yet. But up to now there is noe easy way to manage access to areas.

Gate/Bridge parcels could be a solution for that.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

So how i understand it, the parcels are templates that have options that can be 'inserted'. 

For the life of me i forget what they called these blank options in the live stream.

So the function is, depending on whats inserted either nodes or POI it can be completely different than the same templated parcel.

They give you these templates and then you can insert anything you want in to the slots.

The restriction lies and in being able to connect these slots together. If they allow that then the size of the potential POI is pretty high. 

However, a POI is not a completely tangible game mechanic, in some ways its a mine or lumberyard, however it can also be a choke point in mountains something that if held, your resources or other POI is completely protected. And in theory, with the building mechanic you can create these by just how you build. 

So i think this is a great idea but if they do the building correctly, players can create these type of things all their own with out the devs requiring to input the effort and cost.

Edited by Vectious

CfWBSig.png

They called them dioramas. But that is not what i was talking about.

I'll try to explain it better. I am foremost talking about specific parcels with specific shapes. Like a mountain pass (and the ability to close gaps between mountains with walls). Or impassable water parcel with landing zones at both sides (and the ability to build a bridge between them).

As far as we have heard up to now, we won't be able to build on mountains or water or parcel borders. Otherwise it would be easy. Put two mountain parcels together and put your keep or castle walls between them, so that you close the gap.

Even if there would be dioramas like a big bridge diorama, you would need a parcel like described above, with impassable water in the middle and two landing zones at the edges. Or a single parcel with a mountain pass. And this is what the suggestion is about.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

I am foremost talking about specific parcels with specific shapes. 

It may be possible but....the whole point with parcels is to try and make them generic so you can put them together really easily to reduce the burden on ACE for CW worlds.

But as long as you can build around these parcels to exploit their natural, generic structure, we may get the same thing, just player built instead. You dont need to build ON a mountain if you can secure the entrance and the mountain are the natural walls. Or look at the valley on west server, you can get up on the sides of it but only in certain areas. If they make it so you can only get on top of it via the inside then if you secure the only way in and out its a huge tactical advantage.

We will just have to see how the building tools pan out.

To assist this, i would suggest them removing the ability to sorta...climb over mountains like you can now.

CfWBSig.png

Gates, bridges, massive walls @.@ give them all!

Though as far as game concepts go, we DO have gates already so that one is off the bucket list.

Now we need proper bridges and pits, which we can fill with fancy spikes, don't we? :D

I very much like this idea, but I doubt it's something we'd get by launch.  It would be a great post launch feature though.  Especially when eternal Kingdoms are more built up and revenue on parcels drops.  A whole new set of more specific parcels could extend that revenue stream.

[...] the whole point with parcels is to try and make them generic so you can put them together really easily to reduce the burden on ACE for CW worlds.

[...] as long as you can build around these parcels to exploit their natural, generic structure, we may get the same thing, just player built instead.

[...] You dont need to build ON a mountain if you can secure the entrance and the mountain are the natural walls. Or look at the valley on west server

- This suggestions doesn't hinder the procedural placement.

- Right, as long as we can. Can we?

- That's true for the CW's but not for the EK's. I'm looking for a way that serves both.

as far as game concepts go, we DO have gates already so that one is off the bucket list.

We had gates with access rights in Hunger Dome. We have completely open gateways now in BW. We don't know how access rights will be managed in the final game. So i am not convinced.

But even we had closable gates with customizable access rights, they would be pointless in regard of this suggestion, if gates can only be connected to regular walls.

And - will we be able to place strongholds parts, like walls, on regular non-stronghold parcels?

I made some pictures to illustrate what i mean. (click to enlarge)

1 As far as we know, there will be building slots which will define where we can place objects/buildings/building parts (picture 1).

2 We won't be able to build on water or mountains. So this probably means, if a mountain or a river crosses a slot, it can't be a building slot. Would look like in picture 2. But if so, then we won't be able to place a wall in a way that would allow us to close a gap between for example two mountains.

3 We won't be able to place objects between two seperate parcels. Sure, we could place two mountain parcels next to each other to create a pass ... but we won't be able to close the gap with a wall/gate, because we can't build there (picture 3).

XYMHJiN.jpg

But passageways (and the ability to open and close or to attack and defend them) are something that could be very interesting for both, the CW's and the EK's.

So how could we do it most simple? My solution and suggestion are these gate/bridge parcels. Or let's call them passage parcels, that sounds nice. Let's take a nearer look at them.

A Picture A shows a possible bridge parcel (256x256m). The water is impassable, like the empty cell water. It could also be a deep gorge or impassable wood.

B Point is, the headland already has a bridgehead (grey stone). For CW's maybe the last remaining ruined part of a bridge. Docking onto it, you can build bridge parts (yellow circle, picture B).

C Once you built enough bridge parts, you will have your bridge some day (picture C).

D You could place a gate on the bridge.

E For the sake of EK, this 1x1 parcel would be enough. For the sake of CW's a bigger parcels with a line of unsurpassable land would make more sense. Like in picture D.

F/G The same principle would work well with mountain passes (1x1 parcel example, picture F). Ruins of an old wall (yellow circle picture G) and you can build a gate between them. As 1x1 parcels or bigger parcels like in E.

rM71hw5.jpg

For CW's these would be points of strategical interest. Build a bridge or destroy a bridge. Or a gate. Use it or go around it and loose time. Hold the gate to force your enemy to wait longer for reinforcements. Build siege weapons in 2 cells distance (so the defender can't see you doing it). As defender place your scouts, so you WILL see them doing it nevertheless. And so on.

For EK's these parcels could help to actively use empty cells as borders between let's say provinces and to restrict the access to specific areas, not only the whole Ek or a single city. You could for example build something like that:

6KK5AcZ.jpg

I think this would be nice. I also think we don't really need it now. But it could be a nice addition somewhen later.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg