Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Forum issues update

I wish I had really big news about this. Sadly, I don't, but I do have some news and that's better than none, isn't it?

Our web wizards have been working with Invision's Support team to address problems we've been having with the forums. As I explained before, it was a far more complicated matter than one might think. This is because we have to coordinate a lot of moving parts across several platforms. Our forums aren't merely forums; they are a cog in the mighty Crowfall machine that have to function within a group of interdependencies. 

It looks like we are right at the starting point for deploying some changes to the backend that will make the boards whole again. Unfortunately, jlane has been knocked out by norovirus. Once he's recovered and back at the wheel, things should happen quickly. 

I'll keep you posted. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I wish I had really big news about this. Sadly, I don't, but I do have some news and that's better than none, isn't it?

Our web wizards have been working with Invision's Support team to address problems we've been having with the forums. As I explained before, it was a far more complicated matter than one might think. This is because we have to coordinate a lot of moving parts across several platforms. Our forums aren't merely forums; they are a cog in the mighty Crowfall machine that have to function within a group of interdependencies. 

It looks like we are right at the starting point for deploying some changes to the backend that will make the boards whole again. Unfortunately, jlane has been knocked out by norovirus. Once he's recovered and back at the wheel, things should happen quickly. 

I'll keep you posted. 

Please tell me that part of the fixes are NOT to move/upgrade the forums to a new version.

Naval Action switched from what Crowfall is using to a different model and quite frankly it made keeping track of any personal content a real nightmare.

(Was my final straw for leaving that game)

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Invision didn't give us any choice, we have to upgrade or they won't provide support. =/ 

What are your chief complaints about the changes to the Naval Action forums? Maybe we can learn from their mistakes. 

I wondered, why the news viewing could be only clickable in some certain sittuations for so long after I reported the bug. But I am still glad this forum is easy to understand with good graphics and solid design. So hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

Don't have an issue with a forum upgrade don't see why I would, generally speaking, Invision has been a big leader with forums anyway. I much prefer to see all these issues currently with our forum resolved, it's been ongoing for a good while now.

krevra.png

Please tell me that part of the fixes are NOT to move/upgrade the forums to a new version.

Naval Action switched from what Crowfall is using to a different model and quite frankly it made keeping track of any personal content a real nightmare.

(Was my final straw for leaving that game)

I don't understand your post. Why is upgrading bad? Like always; it's just some personal taste. You find it bad, person X finds it good etc...

If the problems are fixed, then upgrade.

I don't understand your post. Why is upgrading bad? Like always; it's just some personal taste. You find it bad, person X finds it good etc...

If the problems are fixed, then upgrade.

New design usually comes with repositioning of all elements. It can look disorganized and chaotic until you learn to use the forum again. Neither I see a problem if most of the design remains unchanged. But some people may have bad experience with it.

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

Invision didn't give us any choice, we have to upgrade or they won't provide support. =/ 

What are your chief complaints about the changes to the Naval Action forums? Maybe we can learn from their mistakes. 

It wasn't just an upgrade, it was a complete functionality redesign, and it's poorly made socks.

It was a real pain to keep track of threads I was involved in.  If I wasn't getting 'like' notifications, I had to dig through to find the things I posted in.

They totally got rid of the "My content" in the profile pull down, and replaced it with a "follow content" tab that doesn't automatically add threads like the current "My Content" does, so now a one click is a three click process you have to dig to even find.

[Activity->My Activity Streams -> Content I follow/posted/etc in pull down]

Tx9DQLv.jpg

About as convenient as a fresh blister in new shoes.

The "Activity" tab results is just an unsorted vomit of unrelated topics and feels like basically a random list of isolated conversations without context. You can then try to figure out the 7 different filter options you want, and the joy of re-configuring all but two of them every time you visit the page.

WcIBCA6.jpg

(Those links take you to the top of the thread, not where the comment is, and not where you have read to, at least from the limited trial and error I was willing to put up with)

They added some BS "leader board" tab to it, like it's some kind of popularity contest.

It's a complete custard mess of a re-design in my opinion, and you can quote me on that to them if you like. The new design looks and acts like it was designed by programmers, for programmers, and not end users.  There is a HUGE difference in systems built that way. Programmers for programmers tends to overload options, features, choices, and obscure the poorly made socks out of the things that people use the most in an effort to build "flexibility and choice".  That just leads to a craptastic user experience.

My hope is that the gang at Naval Action made some really poor configuration choices/changes when they upgraded, and that ACE can do a better job of it, or that I was just pissy for the 2 hours I fought with it trying to figure out what the hell it wanted me to do to get the information I wanted.

EDIT : I am a software developer, and I know how machines think, and 2 hours was not enough to figure out how to use this new model. [ just spent another 30 minutes trying to configure with the (create new stream) button, and got.... closer to current "My content", but the options are not the same, and the display is definitely unfamiliar.]  People who can't think like developers, who don't understand filters/spreadsheets and configurations are going to be so lost it's not even funny.

[Note: I didn't abandon NA just because of the forum, it was very much a final straw sort of thing. I was already 85% of the way there before the "upgrade".  No risk of that happening here, at least with me.]

EDIT:

Now that I have played around with it more and realized that all the default settings are basically useless, maybe when the change happens here I'll throw together a quick tutorial on how to make a decent (New Stream) and set up a quick link to it, to make things a bit more comfortable for users.

What a pain in the ass.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

jlane is back at work today (yay!) and catching up. I'll make sure he sees this thread before we start updating the forums and all that jazz. For the record, I'm not a fan of change, either, so the fewer 'modifications' we can make, the happier I'll be - unless it's really cool stuff like a unicorn dispenser. I could totally get behind that change. You get a unicorn, and you get a unicorn, and you get a unicorn! 

jlane is back at work today (yay!) and catching up. I'll make sure he sees this thread before we start updating the forums and all that jazz. For the record, I'm not a fan of change, either, so the fewer 'modifications' we can make, the happier I'll be - unless it's really cool stuff like a unicorn dispenser. I could totally get behind that change. You get a unicorn, and you get a unicorn, and you get a unicorn! 

If he wants to PM me about my experiences on the NA forums from their update, or to maybe show him how I managed to make it .... tolerable for myself, get him to drop me a line.

Not sure what if any support/training Invision is giving you guys.  But this upgrade is a bit of a para-dime shift.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Thank you for your thoughts KrakkenSmacken.

As Pann mentioned -- The upgrade is a necessary step to get us past the issues with the current boards, and to regain coverage under the Invision support umbrella. 

The goal we are working to achieve is to have the new boards look and act just as these do. We have a test forum environment that allows us to make all of our modifications without it affecting everyone here, and when we are confident we have it where we want it.. We will migrate the data and make the switch-over. For the most part the look and feel has already been implemented.. Where we are currently is working alongside Invision to hammer out some of the functionality that is tied in with third parties. 

Although it looks as if things have not been set in motion on these issues, I can assure you we are working hard and pressing the right people to get us moving forward on this.

Jared Jackson, Software Engineer
 Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Thank you for your thoughts KrakkenSmacken.

As Pann mentioned -- The upgrade is a necessary step to get us past the issues with the current boards, and to regain coverage under the Invision support umbrella. 

The goal we are working to achieve is to have the new boards look and act just as these do. We have a test forum environment that allows us to make all of our modifications without it affecting everyone here, and when we are confident we have it where we want it.. We will migrate the data and make the switch-over. For the most part the look and feel has already been implemented.. Where we are currently is working alongside Invision to hammer out some of the functionality that is tied in with third parties. 

Although it looks as if things have not been set in motion on these issues, I can assure you we are working hard and pressing the right people to get us moving forward on this.

Thanks for the update.

Given what you said, I have a feeling the guys at NA did a splash and dash with the default stuff out of the box.  

I'm glad your giving it some serious consideration and planning. 

It was quite a shock to me when jumping on the forum after the update to find myself totally lost and frustrated, considering I was on that forum almost as much as I am on this one now (775 posts when I gave up).

Periodically I have not been able to post in a thread. Clicking on the thread title and then trying again would normally fix it. I think I know why it is not working. I clicked on the Snap test thread by clicking on the post in the dev post section at the top of the forum. I tried it twice and both time I couldn't post in the thread. Once i clicked on the thread title, I was able to post just fine.