Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthrage

Release Day - First Campaign: Skill Priority

Here's a question for all of us. It's Release Day. The first set of Campaigns has started - import or no import, doesn't matter, as no-one has anything to import yet (apart from reward items). You are part of a guild that has enough people to start training some, but not all Skill areas, to focus on a particular area of gameplay. You have to decide, what do I take with me into this CW - what skills and/or areas of operation do I need, and what can be left for later, or covered through cooperation or trade with other groups?

It is a given we do not know exactly what some of these areas will do or involve, but let us assume each of them is important. Example skills or areas of focus to choose from: Crafting, Gathering, Combat, Vessels, Necromancy, Animal Husbandry (mounts and caravans), Scouting, Exploration, Cartography, Tracking, Siege Engineer, Mason (building construction/modification), Cooking, Farming, Alchemy, and more....

What are must-haves, and what can you do without, to start?

Edited by Anthrage

I don't know what we will start with and it mostly depends on those players, but these things would be better left for tomorrow:

• Animal Husbandry as breeding takes its time anyway, there's no need to progress in it further in the beginning (in case it does not speed up the process).
  • Masonry, no need to hurry up constructions, they will likely be also hireable.
  • Scouting, no advanced assasins will run nearby.
  • Farming, similar to husbandry. Establishing farm takes its time and you can hardly use fully the multipliers from the skill training.
  • Siege engineer, siege engines are excessive and unnecessary use of resoures in the beginning. I expect other guilds to come with this, so we will penetrate the walls anyway...

And there are only few things that are very essential to be in every guild, if there is no contract with crafting guild:

• Blacksmithing, woodworking, leatherworking.

I will personally start with combat hoping to buy everything.

Mercenary guild is recruiting. Send me a message if you are interested.

As of right now with the current unlocked skills my primary account will be rushing straight to the Mining tree.  I'll be sacrificing attack power to get better resources.  My second account will be rushing for Crafting/Blacksmith.  Haven't decided if a third account will be required to go into Thralls/Factory since the system is not in place.  Then depending on the guild I join into hopefully they will be able to cover the other important trees that I won't be able to do at the start of the game.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

One thing I have been wondering, is if Animal Husbandry might be almost as important as crafting. One of the goals of the first CW cycle will be to get the higher quality resources out of the world, into the EK for crafting, construction and so on. To create weapons and armor you might want to import into less restriction campaign worlds in terms of their rulesets. Evening moving raw materials around within a Campaign, in large quantities, will require a Caravan, and Caravans will require AH. We don't know yet how difficult it will be to handle resources in quantity without them, but it's something that might slip under the radar.

I don't know what we will start with and it mostly depends on those players, but these things would be better left for tomorrow:

• Animal Husbandry as breeding takes its time anyway, there's no need to progress in it further in the beginning (in case it does not speed up the process).
  • Masonry, no need to hurry up constructions, they will likely be also hireable.
  • Scouting, no advanced assasins will run nearby.
  • Farming, similar to husbandry. Establishing farm takes its time and you can hardly use fully the multipliers from the skill training.
  • Siege engineer, siege engines are excessive and unnecessary use of resoures in the beginning. I expect other guilds to come with this, so we will penetrate the walls anyway...

And there are only few things that are very essential to be in every guild, if there is no contract with crafting guild:

• Blacksmithing, woodworking, leatherworking.

I will personally start with combat hoping to buy everything.

This question is one of the magical things about Crowfall. It's really hard to determine the value of certain skills. I have a feeling people will end up making a lot of very interesting choices and this will lead to some crazy situations.

For example the guy that trains in Siege Warfare might feel like an idiot until that one day where he's the hero that protected the keep with a giant Trebuchet that nobody else could use as effectively.

I'm debating whether I want to go into the leadership, combat tree, or some sort of gathering profession off the start. I'm a big PvP player but taking a gathering skill seems like it'll be the best value. Not having a gathering skill seems like a huge opportunity cost since you're likely going to be passing over resources as you run about the world.

Lots of hard choices! :D

Yes, but those friends will have to make the same choices...someone has to train something, to take on the different 'professions' at some point. Which skills will you value most in those possessed by these friends then...

Your going to need some friends, period.

I will be starting with the survival, so I can knock enough apples out of trees.  

I'll sell you 10 for a stack of ore if you want. :)

Anything related to vessel is going to be important IMO. Going to have one dude training necromancy, another training gravedigging. I'll try and cover all the other necessities with my other accounts. I'll be eating canned ravioli with all the money I'm spending on accounts, but at least I'll be self sufficient.

. One of the goals of the first CW cycle will be to get the higher quality resources out of the world, into the EK for crafting, construction and so on. To create weapons and armor you might want to import into less restriction campaign worlds in terms of their rulesets. Evening moving raw materials around within a Campaign, in large quantities, will require a Caravan, and Caravans will require AH. We don't know yet how difficult it will be to handle resources in quantity without them, but it's something that might slip under the radar.

I think you are over estimating how much material is going back and forth.  The first CW is going to be about fighting to win the first CW.  EK crafting is not going to be a priority until several CW's have closed, to provide enough material to make EK crafting worth while.

The largest portion of crafting is going to happen inside each campaign world.  Import rules are going to be very restrictive at the start until ACE get's a handle on how many "tanks" to let each person bring in before it becomes imbalanced.

I'm neither over-estimating or under-estimating it yet, as I said, we don't know how this area will play out yet. It is true the first CW will be about winning it - as will many I imagine - but one of the reasons, if not the main reason, you want to win, is for what it gives you...which is the best export ability. What we will be exporting, be it the first, or second, or third campaign, is items and resources.

Even if it is for crafting within a campaign, the mass of materials still needs to be moved. If moving them were easy - as easy as it is now - Caravans would not be a thing that exists, and has prerequisites in the skill tree. I suspect since it does exist, it will be somewhat useful, necessary and important. I think that is a reasonable assumption, without over-estimating anything. :P

I think you are over estimating how much material is going back and forth.  The first CW is going to be about fighting to win the first CW.  EK crafting is not going to be a priority until several CW's have closed, to provide enough material to make EK crafting worth while.

The largest portion of crafting is going to happen inside each campaign world.  Import rules are going to be very restrictive at the start until ACE get's a handle on how many "tanks" to let each person bring in before it becomes imbalanced.

Edited by Anthrage

Again, as with the friends concept, where do they get it from in the first place? Every one of the bases needs to be covered by someone, somewhere. You can't take what doesn't exist in the first place. Lets hope we don't all go the combat route. :)

Prioritize combat and just take what you need from others :)

Prioritize combat and just take what you need from others :)

I do like your thinking.

Every person should consider coordinating this with there guild no matter how many accounts you have. In my opinion the best way for a guild to coordinate all accounts is to  prioritize necromancy, other crafting, all gathering, mounts, scouting,  All pvp should go right to the vessel skills so you can equip at least greens then start doing other pvp stuff specific to your main toon then coordinate when you think you will be able to get a blue quality vessel and so on. maybe im wrong but the way necromancy is looking to be really OP atm

Combat.

On an alt or two take start training the minimum skills needed to craft the "advanced weapons". Possibly some ore harvesting to support the above on a 3rd acct.

This assumes damage will be as heavily gear sdependent as it is now.

Will also want to start training w/e skills needed to claim territory...land rush!

Discipline runestones are going to be king in terms of impact in all areas of the game I think...

This question is one of the magical things about Crowfall. 

Lots of hard choices! :D

Indeed. Its a shame people are already devaluing this part of the game design....

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Again, as with the friends concept, where do they get it from in the first place? Every one of the bases needs to be covered by someone, somewhere. You can't take what doesn't exist in the first place. Lets hope we don't all go the combat route. :)

Some people will try to progress, you focus combat and take their progression stuff. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir