Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthrage

Release Day - First Campaign: Skill Priority

Yes, but those friends will have to make the same choices...someone has to train something, to take on the different 'professions' at some point. Which skills will you value most in those possessed by these friends then...

Ummm. That is kind of an impossible to answer question. 

• Who are your friends?
  • What do they want to do?
  • Do you care what you do, or will you need to negotiate with them?
  • How reliable are they going to be?
  • If none of your "friends" are going to take a certain skill, are you willing to take one for the team?
  • What side in the greater fight (Gods, Order,Balance,Chaos,Guild etc) will you be on?
  • Who else is on that team and what skills are they prioritizing?

The forum is a crappy place to ask questions like this, just like it would be to ask "what is my favorite color". 

This whole thing is a negotiation, so if you want to hit the ground running, the time to negotiate with your friends is probably as soon as the final reset of skills announced, not now.

Want to be the most popular player, figure out what nobody else wants to do, and do that.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

While obviously definitive and final answers to these questions can only be established once everything is final, I disagree and believe there is valuing in asking some of these questions before then, even if we cannot answer them. There is real value in planning, gaming things out and establishing the parameters, even if some or many variables are unknown. I know from experience, as does anyone who played SB, that we will need to hit the ground running, and hard, from day 1.

Ummm. That is kind of an impossible to answer question. 

• Who are your friends?
  • What do they want to do?
  • Do you care what you do, or will you need to negotiate with them?
  • How reliable are they going to be?
  • If none of your "friends" are going to take a certain skill, are you willing to take one for the team?
  • What side in the greater fight (Gods, Order,Balance,Chaos,Guild etc) will you be on?
  • Who else is on that team and what skills are they prioritizing?

The forum is a crappy place to ask questions like this, just like it would be to ask "what is my favorite color". 

This whole thing is a negotiation, so if you want to hit the ground running, the time to negotiate with your friends is probably as soon as the final reset of skills announced, not now.

Want to be the most popular player, figure out what nobody else wants to do, and do that.

Well, this game will be about organization. So, If you have a large enough roster, you find out peoples wants initially and balance them with guild "needs". Everyone may want to be a weapon or armor crafter, But you're going to need wood workers/stone masons/ jewel crafters etc. Sooo... optimally at least, every guild member will have a combat account and a crafting account. Me, I don't really care what initial discipline my crafting account will be, it'w what is for the greater good, the collective.

The best guilds will utilize this symbiotic approach, at least initially (Or they should IMHO). Later on, years down the road, the crafters will become more "filled out", But at the beginning at least, If I were a GL, I would make sure all the disciplines are spread as equally as possible between my roster.

Edited by armegeddon

While obviously definitive and final answers to these questions can only be established once everything is final, I disagree and believe there is valuing in asking some of these questions before then, even if we cannot answer them. There is real value in planning, gaming things out and establishing the parameters, even if some or many variables are unknown. I know from experience, as does anyone who played SB, that we will need to hit the ground running, and hard, from day 1.

It's not asking the question that has no value, it's who your asking the question to.

"Who are your in game friends?"

I know who mine are, and we are not at the negotiating skills phase yet, but yours could be.

Ask them.

Personally, I suspect that either harvesting animals, or ore (copper/iron), as well as leather working, and armorer are going to be the early big sellers.

Killing pigs ain't exactly sexy, and there are no "Mother load" animals, so solo scout/harvest animals is a really good bet on individualistic play.  You get the leather, and the meat for campfires.

With zero crafting skill you can make the next step up in leather with very limited quantities of ore, and four pieces of armor for each weapon will mean a much higher demand.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

I like that necromancy, a profession i would imagine garners a lack of friendship, requires other players to support.

"I wish Tom wasn't the cheapest necromancer around, i am pretty sure he spends 'extra' time with the bodies we get from him." 

Course, says nothing of the gravediggers!

CfWBSig.png

Combat.

On an alt or two take start training the minimum skills needed to craft the "advanced weapons". Possibly some ore harvesting to support the above on a 3rd acct.

This assumes damage will be as heavily gear sdependent as it is now.

Will also want to start training w/e skills needed to claim territory...land rush!

I hope the universal combat skill line gets buffed, cause right now it doesn't really look worth taking.

I hope the universal combat skill line gets buffed, cause right now it doesn't really look worth taking.

What buffs are you wanting?  The Weapon Style skill tree has 4 to 6 pages of bonuses that you are able to train.  With equal amounts for armor and the third skill tree (can't remember it's name) as well.  Fully completing the combat skill tree(s) will give massive amounts of bonuses.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

Seems like the initial phase of any new CW is going to be survival + land rush.

We can't do any advanced crafting until we claim and hold a territory, then build a structure, then place crafting stations, then gather resources.

tiPrpwh.png

Full combat. The resource I gather is other players. At first those players can gather for me until my combat modifiers are so superior to most people in game then i can focus on crafting. Second account full blacksmithing.

There a issue with this........ it might take a longer time to get the resources you need to combat said players. Since those players most likely will be geared out a bit to protect themselves.

Yes you may be able to do more dmg but if you don't have the crafted gear to back up your skill placement than ya............

RedXoOcrowfall_zpswm3vyakq.png

There will be a huge variation. The question is will the raiders win the battle or the war. Will the crafter/gathers be able to get enough stuff to make gear matter more? Solo people will quit in droves or will they be sucked into guilds. 

Will it be fun?

Being flexible might not suck, or you might just get killed over and over. Time will tell.

Can't really even come close to looking at this until all the classes, skills and a the full game loop is at least active ingame. So much can and most likely will change between what we have now and what will be present on soft launch post wipe.

for me the first skills I'm going to level are gathering related skills.  Regardless of whether I can craft well or not it's not going to do me good if I don't have enough materials.  Once I've maxed out gathering then I'm going full crafting for whatever seems to be the most useful (right now vessels is definitely at the top of my list, not sure what would be best after that).  I'll have my main and one alt so I've got a bit of variety to play around with when it comes to deciding what professions to work on.

Gatherers will be resource nodes for the murderers out there. Best bring friends. Why train in hitting rocks when they can sneak behind you and take your stuff. You will already be tired, dirty, hungry and distracted. Not to mention you have no training in the sword. So you will be dead. 

And the crows shall feast. 

Im personally in no rush to pick a profession and buy multiple accounts as everything in this game takes considerable time and if you train anything in your skill tree its not a waste of time because it all adds up. I will wait to the game comes out and explore and play in the world, I will invest in skills I end up doing like exploring or crafting which ever naturally evolves from me playing the game. Because this is a player created experience who knows what you will truly enjoy until your knee deep in the organised chaos.