Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Pick a faction - Official discussion thread

Please oh PLEASE tell me this isn't a mechanic that will force people into only being able to keep people not of your faction. And if it is, it's not on the most dangerous campaigns. Because if NOT I'm done with Crowfall now. Nothing I can stand less than factions arbitrarily controlling who I can kill and who my friends automatically are, while promoting imbalance from perceived faction dominance.

Crowfall has always promised campaigns with different rulesets: some campaigns will have the freeform player-defined politics you want, with everyone able to choose their allies and enemies. This is definitely not going anywhere, it was the core of Shadowbane. Meanwhile other campaigns will have predefined factions you're stuck with for their duration.

The new server will be testing the predefined factions, but I like to think of it as building towards player factions. They're not going to spring a player-defined faction system on us all at once, this is the first step to getting there.

Edited by Avloren

Please oh PLEASE tell me this isn't a mechanic that will force people into only being able to keep people not of your faction. And if it is, it's not on the most dangerous campaigns. Because if NOT I'm done with Crowfall now. Nothing I can stand less than factions arbitrarily controlling who I can kill and who my friends automatically are, while promoting imbalance from perceived faction dominance.

Read the last few pages or maybe go read the FAQs. Faction based RvR style gameplay is but one of multiple different types of gameplay that will be supported by the multiple ruleset bands in this game.

Isn't there supposed to be a FFA (Dregs) and a Guild vs Guild? If FFA has guild stuff, I'm curious how they are going to differ.

Dregs will likely be the most like Shadowbane.  You can attack anyone at any time.  But there is still guild organization etc.  Guild vs Guild will probably be either can't attack people in your guild, or only can attack guilds you're at war with.

The Dregs was always meant to be guild based. It was/is the Shadow(?) band (GuildvsGuild) ruleset that they are re-thinking because the two are sort of redundant.

The only thing I can imagine right at the moment would set them apart, would be the ability of guilds to form alliances that affected POI's and embargo, or not.

Is that really enough for it's own band?  I don't honestly think it is.

The only thing I can imagine right at the moment would set them apart, would be the ability of guilds to form alliances that affected POI's and embargo, or not.

Is that really enough for it's own band?  I don't honestly think it is.

If there is not enough difference then they will get folded into one band.

Not even ACE knows what the differences will be, as they haven't decided.

IhhQKY6.gif

Not only have they not decided, WE have not decided yet - and something ACE is going to find out, though they probably know already, is that for many of these things, we will be doing the deciding. If there is one thing I know about this group of players, it is that they like coloring outside the lines. :P

True enough.  

There is one other option I can think of, but that would almost be it's own solo or single group player game style .  A short action single session survivor world with no construction and deep in winter conditions as far as food goes at least.  

Bring what you can into it, leave with what you can carry to embargo, and no resurrection, all items lost if you die or log off.  

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Agreed, but I would like to see faction numbers. I generally join the weakest team to help bolster the faction. I have played several games that lock out factions when their numbers get too high. I really don't think there is a good solution for this. Every implementation I have seen has failed. The faction dominance dynamic will be determined before the game actually launches, by large, active guilds who ally with the same. Artcraft is going to have to get really creative with this issue. Definitely no auto-balance. That is the worst solution for team-play.

Also, keep in mind, lots of servers with lots of rulesets, and changing rulesets. If you aren't happy with something you learn here, it isn't the only ruleset that will be implemented.

Ok...so Scorn will be faction play and once we chose a faction on Scorn, we're locked in for the duration of that campaign. Will we still have Sanctuary, Morning and Sorrow (which won't be faction play)? Will Sanctuary still be PvE? Spirit banks still function as before in 3.0?

If I had my druthers, we'd only have Scorn. 

Edited by Gradishar

Agreed, but I would like to see faction numbers. I generally join the weakest team to help bolster the faction. I have played several games that lock out factions when their numbers get too high. I really don't think there is a good solution for this. Every implementation I have seen has failed. The faction dominance dynamic will be determined before the game actually launches, by large, active guilds who ally with the same. Artcraft is going to have to get really creative with this issue. Definitely no auto-balance. That is the worst solution for team-play.

I don't think faction dominance outside of individual campaigns will be a huge issue. I recall them mentioning that they were considering changing up potential blessings or rewards between each faction/god and world. They very well might have changed this or found a different option. But I believe they are at least aware of the potential pitfalls surrounding everyone deciding to be chaos and never picking order and are trying to make it so you'd be enticed to different sides in different CWs.