Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClockworkOrange

Something I never thought I would gripe about

This isn't something I usually have a big opinion about, but I realized it as I see CF as the replacement to DF (for me).

For as many things as DF did wrong, they created a large beautiful map that was fun to explore. I thought this was one of those added bonus features, but nothing really that drove me to the game. The more and more I compared CF to DF in all sorts of different aspects the more I came to the conclusion that the map in CF is ugly and boring. You have a flat, flat, flat map in CF with nothing visually appealing to look at. Did I mention how flat it was?

I understand there are mountain tiles and canyon tiles and water tiles, but the overall map isn't exciting. Am I alone in this thinking or is anyone else thinking this?

I understand this is a petty complaint, but maybe it will inspire more creative tiles going forward. I want caves, waterfalls, cliffs, double rainbows, canyons you can fall into and more.

Edited by Clockwork Orange

Keep in mind they probably haven't built a tenth of the parcels they intend to include yet.

Look at the super expensive parcels in the store or the colossus reward they offered investors. They haven't thrown anything nearly that cool looking into the test servers yet but I'd bet my left arm they'll show up in the launch build even if the flatlands are more common.

As everyone has stated this is merely a test map to see how the procedural maps would be created and how they are stitched together.  These maps are also very small compared to what we will see in the real world maps.  

If you are wanting more eye candy I would just recommend waiting for the beta releases.  ACE should have more pre-fabs created by then and a much larger map to explore to peek your interest.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

This isn't something I usually have a big opinion about, but I realized it as I see CF as the replacement to DF (for me).

For as many things as DF did wrong, they created a large beautiful map that was fun to explore. I thought this was one of those added bonus features, but nothing really that drove me to the game. The more and more I compared CF to DF in all sorts of different aspects the more I came to the conclusion that the map in CF is ugly and boring. You have a flat, flat, flat map in CF with nothing visually appealing to look at. Did I mention how flat it was?

I understand there are mountain tiles and canyon tiles and water tiles, but the overall map isn't exciting. Am I alone in this thinking or is anyone else thinking this?

I understand this is a petty complaint, but maybe it will inspire more creative tiles going forward. I want caves, waterfalls, cliffs, double rainbows, canyons you can fall into and more.

Actually I think this is a perfectly valid thing to be concerned about, and one of the biggest issues I had with ESO (in the campaigns). I want a really diverse biome with interesting locales to fight at. Not a flat and boring symmetrical map. Canyons, landmarks, bridges, caves, castles with motes, etc.

Edited by helix

Test or not, the general system demands that the game parcels can be stitched together. Though the single parcles are hand shaped, the overall map is not. This can only work if their borders end roughly at the same height. So they have to end some kind of flat. And depending of the number of cells within a parcel, there is not much leeway to build a circus.

The question about lightning and such (like rainbows) has been discussed before, too. Point is that this is much more easy to acomplish those things with static landscapes like those we are used to know from other games. The crowfall landscape is dynamically build. Those effects have to be shown from any possible angle in any possible combination with other parcels without bigger lags.

It is possible that we will get caves and other 'more interesting' shapes later. But it is surely no focus at the moment. There will be surely some more interesting parcels before release. But i would guess that for now the first priority will be tactical details.

Rainbows are for later days, when you have earned your spurs and the game had time to prosper. Lipsticks and eyegloss will most probably come later, too. Once there are enough scars. ;) 

2W1ZHpA.jpg

I was just about to post about how the in game graphics ( specially the map ) look so boring, washed out and cheap. I hope the make the color palette a bit more bright  and add more vivid colors.

Dark and Light has some nice colors for example:

ss_91238b387cda6b31da2aee1b440c7fbde379b

ss_1c37c5c8fd725e4dda817f2b4c332f3cb16e0

Edited by BionicFox

crowfall_firma.png

Hablo Español

Test or not, the general system demands that the game parcels can be stitched together. Though the single parcles are hand shaped, the overall map is not. This can only work if their borders end roughly at the same height. So they have to end some kind of flat. And depending of the number of cells within a parcel, there is not much leeway to build a circus.

The question about lightning and such (like rainbows) has been discussed before, too. Point is that this is much more easy to acomplish those things with static landscapes like those we are used to know from other games. The crowfall landscape is dynamically build. Those effects have to be shown from any possible angle in any possible combination with other parcels without bigger lags.

It is possible that we will get caves and other 'more interesting' shapes later. But it is surely no focus at the moment. There will be surely some more interesting parcels before release. But i would guess that for now the first priority will be tactical details.

Rainbows are for later days, when you have earned your spurs and the game had time to prosper. Lipsticks and eyegloss will most probably come later, too. Once there are enough scars. ;)

Honestly, the varying sizes and shapes of parcels kind of shows that even if the edges of the parcels need to end at one uniform height, or maybe two or three if they work out a proper labeling system for it, then we can still get vast mountain ranges and such. They have just had more important things to focus on like major systems and making sure you don't fall through the ground. Shiny, awesome terrain will likely come around the same time as character and item customization.

Personally my biggest issue is the draw distances.

Edited by Vonpenguin

I would love to see more creativity all over the place, including parcels, provided it's strategic and fits the design of the game.   The Bridge Parcel thread is a perfect example.

BionicFox is also spot-on in pointing out washed out graphics.  That's an easy win.  They have the talent and just need time to swap some colors and effects.

We don't need excessively realistic graphics that get in the way of PvP.   Seeing the "cartoon" graphics of Crowfall was one of the reasons I invested; not because I was blown away, but because I've seen tons of games succeed with graphic "style" over photo-realism, thereby reducing graphics loads and latency, massively improving visibility, and as a result maximizing PvP skill.  I want to know exactly how I waxed somebody, or how they destroyed me, far more than I want to see individual blades of grass and flowing trees.   Save the photo-realism for space games where there's far less to render.

So back to parcels:  please make them strategically interesting and graphically focused.   Simple, yet diverse.

yeah right now I think they look "bland" simply because of the current size of them. I mean theres not much room to be very diverse and with such a small map I think it would look even worse if tried to cram everything into small tiles.

Agree though the live version of these maps need to be diverse and interesting terrain and features.

It should be possible to create special rules for connecting the parcels based on its value for level of elevation on a particular side. This would allow for the diverse mapping Clockwork Orange and many others would love to see in this game.

Edited by Ridalt

I never noticed it much until spending a few weeks in Conan Exiles, but ya, it's bland.

But some of our guys absolutely love the animations and styles. I think this part of it will probably be fine at the end of the day.

Edited by coolwaters

There is so much broken stuff about CF for ACE's tiny team to fix.

Let's not distract them from that stuff by raising a hue & cry about repetitive parcel selection when all they have to do to fix this is make more parcels, which they will anyway.

And they aren't flat. The servers are just small still.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

I was just about to post about how the in game graphics ( specially the map ) look so boring, washed out and cheap. I hope the make the color palette a bit more bright  and add more vivid colors.

Dark and Light has some nice colors for example:

ss_91238b387cda6b31da2aee1b440c7fbde379b

ss_1c37c5c8fd725e4dda817f2b4c332f3cb16e0

Dark And Light is not the same graphics style also Dark and Light is another Ark lol

RedXoOcrowfall_zpswm3vyakq.png

Honestly, the varying sizes and shapes of parcels kind of shows that even if the edges of the parcels need to end at one uniform height, or maybe two or three if they work out a proper labeling system for it, then we can still get vast mountain ranges and such. They have just had more important things to focus on like major systems and making sure you don't fall through the ground. Shiny, awesome terrain will likely come around the same time as character and item customization.

Personally my biggest issue is the draw distances.

There are several problems i see about the parcel heights, but thats a different topic. But generally i agree.

What do you mean when talking about draw distances? I am not familiar with this term in a game context (unfortunately my english is very rudimentary).

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Draw distance refers to the distance at which objects will render. How close you need to be for a tree or the grass to appear. It's worst if you climb a mountain and look back out over the landscape. It looks pretty barren then you descend and FOREST.

Edited by Vonpenguin

I can agree to some extent. DF world was one. CF worlds will be practically infinite. 

You can't have it infinite and with the depth a 'one' can have.

At the same time - it would not make sense for ACE to focus on that. If the game play is good you don't see the world or the graphics anymore. I've been playing EQ for a good 4 months. I never played the original but I never thought I could have that much fun when I first saw the graphics.

Depth>>>>Visuals.

Edited by [KDS]Prom

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org